Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 06:28 PM
Dan@SharkWerks
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Smile O Canada! SharkWerks completes another 8800-RPM 3.9L GT3

To be honest, we are typically a personal operation and it is very special when someone sends us their car, especially from another country. This story was pretty neat so I thought I should share a bit of the details.

The owner of this white 997 GT3 is a regular at the local tracks in Quebec, and for the past 30,000 KM, the car has been both a daily driver and weekend toy when weather permits. He's a longtime Porsche fan and has owned a 964 Carrera RS and others in the past, and his son is right behind him, having tracked several Porsches together over the years. He purchased the 997 GT3 because he wanted a proper track car that could be driven to the track, towing the gear/wheels all in one vehicle (notice the trailer hitch in the pictures below!)...

He found out about the 3.9L cars we had been building and decided it was time for some more power. The car was sent to us using Intercity Lines all the way from Quebec to begin its operation.

And once again, the lucky 3.9L transplant recipient is a white GT3. Yes, so many white cars!

The 3.9L upgrade is best explained with this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzeLcvgOVzQ

Here the car is, parked next to another Canadian car, a 997 Turbo:

It's interesting that we actually had yet another 997 Turbo (cabriolet) here from Canada that was shipping back that week.

Disassembly begins:

Motor removed:

A regular track junkie, he asks us to rebuild his LSD with Guard:

With all of the parts ready, James continues to assemble motors into the night...

In the morning, we see progress:

The layers pile up:

In go ze custom SharkWerks/EVO cams, for more flow at the top-end of the RPM band and even more power with the extra displacement:

The cams are timed, which is a two man job. I was sick, so no photos, but here's a pic from a previous build:

On goes the cover:

And the accessories begin to take form:

The single mass lightweight flywheel takes 14 lbs off the rotating mass (down from 28 lbs) on a GT3 model:

And Cup Car clutch assembly:

The forementioned trailer hitch:

On go the 88mm SharkWerks Stainless Steel exhaust tips (with SharkWerks Bypass Exhaust, of course!):

This will be the last 3.9L motor to be built at 4444 Technology Drive in Fremont, CA.

And here she is, ready for a 200-mile breakin drive prior to her first oil change. Notice the scary dark clouds on the horizon:

The weather clears up a bit:

Two critical upgrades! After its breakin and first oil change, a SharkWerks license plate is added along with the coveted ($26,000) 3.9 badge:

The plate is temporary and will eventually be modified further to allow the trailer hitch to be cleanly installed.

The owner arrived at a local airport, flying straight from Quebec with his son. Their plan: drive the newly equipped 3.9L GT3 all the way back home from California. An incredible 3000 mile drive through North America, including Nevada, Salt Lake City, the midwest and the Great Lakes region.

Ready, set...

And off it goes!

It was a real pleasure meeting its owner and his son, and we're wishing him a fun trip home with great weather. We'll keep you posted on this car's progress at its local stomping ground and of course other projects here at SharkWerks.
Phone: 510-651-0300
Email: dan@sharkwerks.com

SharkWerks' Latest Updates on Twitter
Old 05-27-2010, 06:34 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

im looking forward to the day i get the 3.9L in my RS!
Old 05-27-2010, 07:01 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice! How long does it usually take for you guys to do the conversion?!
Old 05-27-2010, 07:09 PM
Dan@SharkWerks
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
im looking forward to the day i get the 3.9L in my RS!
As are we! You could be #1 in B.C.!

Originally Posted by cfjan
Nice! How long does it usually take for you guys to do the conversion?!
Thanks, the process typically takes about 4-weeks to ensure proper build and testing time.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:42 PM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

- he is going to give all those new mk2 RSs hell at Tremblant
- i will say, the boys in Quebec don't mess around when it comes to tracking, this car should make a good test case for the 3.9
Old 05-28-2010, 01:40 PM
Dan@SharkWerks
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks and I hope so too!

Here's a picture of them driving through the mountains near Reno on the trip home. Snow and ice are no match for the 3.9L!

Quick Reply: O Canada! SharkWerks completes another 8800-RPM 3.9L GT3