Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

VIDEO: 2010 GT3 RS Chassis Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 03:12 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

due to too much sidewall and rollover..
The wall tallness is very close to OEM? It comes with 325's.
Why would that be? Slicks have a much taller side wall?
Old 05-13-2010, 03:20 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
The wall tallness is very close to OEM? It comes with 325's.
Why would that be? Slicks have a much taller side wall?
Street tires (even MPSC) have a much thinner profile/sidewall then a slick/toyo r888/nitto/hoosier... Even with a slick having a stiffer sidewall it's very blocky/tall, and when oversized on a rim will flex too much.. And 335's on a 12" wide wheel (ideally they are suppose to work) and do fit, it's not optimal though IMO.

Rick Deman is actually the one who pointed it out to me, and when sizing down it was a night and day difference in all seriousness. The car was sharper and more planted/overall solid feeling.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:24 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

OK, thanks. Not sure I follow, but I will try it out. The car feels like it's on rails compared to my MKI Gt3.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:26 PM
prosper
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.excellence-mag.com/issues...00-club?page=1

Excellence Magazine:
Mike Levitas Daily Driver compare with other car
on road and on track.
From this article, it sure show that Mike Levitas really
understand suspension tuning especially for track use.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:39 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by The Credit Man
Interesting video. Is 2010/2011 GT3 RS set up more like a "drift car" than track car?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b6uzKsjUyY
I don't understand why the local Sheriff doesn't use that video to visit this guy and invite him to chat about it in front of the local judge.

From a recent review:
"You'll want to bear in mind that 8500 revs in second gear means over 90 mph."
"

This guy was using the top half of the rpm range in 2nd and 3rd gear ... on that narrow, windy back road with road under repair and double yellow lines indicating restricted visibility ahead ... a suspended license would be lenient.

As for what he's saying, in general, it's reasonable, but it's all generalizations and he has no experience with the new RS. I think he'd do well to check his opinion at the door, stop second-guessing Kussmaul and Preuninger, drive the car (not on a crappy side road under repair, but at a track) and take unbiased observations.

After getting the temperatures up in the tires and balancing pressures, at track speeds, with aero coming into play even at apex speeds down around 80 mph, the actual grip is prodigious.

As sales pitch videos go, this one reinforces long standing bad press for TPC and its under-engineered, over-promised products. From grenade supercharger kits to negligent customer service, I can see where the bad reputation starts.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:21 PM
cparkin
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What you are failing to see that that the goal of the video was to show how improperly the car is set up from the factory. The sway bars and alignment made that car oversteer... hence the "drift car" comment, not the way the chassis is designed from the factory or the way the aero works. the car didnt cross 75mph on that road.

Your comments are unfounded.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:17 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Every GT3 from the showroom comes out of specs, unless your dealer is nice to give you an alignment to the factory stock specs before delivery, few dealers do this.

It is not GT3 specific, it happened to each of my showroom cars in the last 6 years.

Mike could have been driving a car with toe-out in the rear, and nobody knows, because the assumption (bad assumption) is that your showroom stock has the alignment specs documented in the Workshop.

A properly setup (to stock specs) GT3 or GT3 RS will push, they all do. If a stock car is loose, something is not matching the factory specs: alignment, ride height, tires, but Porsche doesn't produce loose cars anymore.

I know Mike can setup a car to be faster than stock without changing parts. Plenty of other shops can do this as well.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:15 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First, anyone who owns one of these cars knows it is not a loose car. In fact, my car was far too tight when it was new. It would not turn-in with the stock -1.5 degrees of camber all the way around with the front bar set second from soft and rear bar set middle. I had absolutely no problems with the rear end being loose as he is suggesting, even when sliding the car over the limit. Even on broken pavement, my backend does not want to step out when braking in a straight line. The first thing I did was soften the front bar to get more turn-in. Going stiffer in front is only going to make the front end understeer more.

When we did my race alignment, since I am using Corsas we went conservative: -2.3 front and -1.8 rear. Tires temps are dead even across the tires on both ends. I am still running the front bar soft, but I still get understeer in tighter corners. Faster corners, I am getting slight oversteer. I am going to try to go full hard on the rear bar next time I go out. I am also planning on switching to spherical end adjustable end links. I have noticed when I adjusted the front bar that it is loaded differently from side to side and adjustable end links will correct this.

If there is any truth in what he is saying, it is in regards to the different tires and camber they put in their race cars. With slicks, you need a lot more camber due to the soft sidewalls. With the extra power and a lot more camber out back, I could see softening up the back to get power down coming off a corner. It is not the same on a stiffer sidewall street tire. They may also need the stiffer spring rate in front to get those softer slicks to bite. I would not recommend investing a lot of money in new parts if you are going to stick with the stock tires and want to keep the car street oriented.

Last edited by 10 GT3; 05-13-2010 at 11:28 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:38 PM
cparkin
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One of the big issues with teh car is that the setups are so drastically different from one car to the other... when you stood on the brakes of that particular RS, the back end waved... Definitely loose. I have seen cars that exhibit what your car did 10GT3
Old 05-13-2010, 08:41 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Ultimately it comes down whether your setup in relation to your driving style gets you around around the track faster than everyone else in comparable cars
Old 05-13-2010, 10:32 PM
The Credit Man
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loose is a Relative Term

I just did a semi-spirited drive in my RS and, of course, if I try hard enough I can get the back end out a bit.

Does that mean it's loose?

It's a relative term. Compared to my Scuderia, which exhibits understeer, it is loose.

But it's more than ok for my tastes. What can you say? The car is sensational. I can't get enough of it!

Quick Reply: VIDEO: 2010 GT3 RS Chassis Tuning