Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

VIDEO: 2010 GT3 RS Chassis Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 10:18 AM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Obviously none of you guys have met or driven with Mike. While yes, of course the video is a pitch for his product, he is far more knowledgeable and credible than anyone in the GT3 forum. And probably one of the nicest guys around. Havent had the RS on track yet , but rear end feels a bit nervous. I've opted to go full soft in back and one from full stiff up front with the bars (similar to my '07 GT3 setup.) . But bars are personal preference and driving style, some like a loose car, some tight. Looser cars are slower around the track. There are plenty of GT3 drivers who prefer the "looser" setup. For some the car feels to "carve" the corners much better, which is probably true, but they are far from the limit of the car. Add another 5mph entry/exit speed and see what happens. His guestimates of lap time for VIR are probably spot on ... but for drivers of his caliber vs our.

Last edited by rmag; 05-20-2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:19 AM
cparkin
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Condor Man
There is no doubt Mike has talent and that he read the car correctly.

I am not 100% sure that his guestimation of Lap times were justified based on a quick squirt up the street, in particular on a bumpy road that looked liked it just survived the last earthquake.

Additionally, I feel that web forums are a great portal for information and that he shouldn't have mentioned this in his video.
I havent spent much time on rennlist but the majority of the suspension knowledge on teh other forums that we sponsor are quite sub par. Some of the setups that we have encountered are down right dangerous. Btw, a black/red rs sounds quite cool.

Casey
Old 05-13-2010, 10:35 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

Received 299 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by rmag
I've opted to go full soft in back and one from full stiff up front with the bars (similar to my '07 GT3 setup.) before this weekend. But bars are personal preference and driving style, some like a loose car, some tight. Looser cars are slower around the track. There are plenty of GT3 drivers who prefer the "looser" setup. For some the car feels to "carve" the corners much better, which is probably true, but they are far from the limit of the car. Add another 5mph entry/exit speed and see what happens.
That's an interesting setup, given the extra front tyre width. Perhaps you should run this by Mike to see his thoughts?
Old 05-13-2010, 10:42 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cparkin
I havent spent much time on rennlist but the majority of the suspension knowledge on teh other forums that we sponsor are quite sub par. Some of the setups that we have encountered are down right dangerous. Btw, a black/red rs sounds quite cool.

Casey
Thanks Casey,

I suppose you are always going to get quasi experts on every forum and obviously there are reasons why guys shunt these cars so much. which probably has alot to do with rubbish setups from these quasi experts.

I say. If you can't feel the setup change, then leave it alone. Because if you don't one day it is going to bite you in the backside.

Black/Red - A little unknown at this stage as I have never seen one, hopefully it looks good. If not, I will change the red to white gold.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:48 AM
rmag
Rennlist Member

That's an interesting setup, given the extra front tyre width. Perhaps you should run this by Mike to see his thoughts?
I sometimes used mike on my last car, but his shop is a bit to far away to use vs another great shop a mile from my house Yes, the RS does have more front tire than GT3, but I'd rather start with a solid rear and a car that pushes and work from there. I suspect I will be adjusting bars all weekend.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:55 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

I sometimes used mike on my last car, but his shop is a bit to far away to use vs another great shop a mile from my house Yes, the RS does have more front tire than GT3, but I'd rather start with a solid rear and a car that pushes and work from there. I suspect I will be adjusting bars all weekend.
I wish you the best of luck with your first track day.

Please feel free to update us on your progress. Hopefully it doesn't understeer like a shopping trolley.

By the way, what tyres will you be running?
Old 05-13-2010, 10:56 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,670 Likes on 775 Posts

I certainly am no expert at all:
I thought my '07GT3 was loose, apposed to others who think it pushes, so I guess my bad driving creates more oversteer then understeer.
I ran the rear sway bar full soft and the front middle and then it would start to push a little.

See fo yourself:

My fast lap in GT3 on cold day:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_bIEB7Lu5g

My fast lap in RS first day on the track very hot, 95F, did not find the limits yet, but I tried with abrubt inputs:
Bars one hole from full soft:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwzqoNA1Pz8
Old 05-13-2010, 11:12 AM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Please feel free to update us on your progress. Hopefully it doesn't understeer like a shopping trolley.
By the way, what tyres will you be running?
I'll be running 255/335 Hoosiers. Will let you know where I land with the swaybars, although pointless because there are so many other factors.
I wish you the best of luck with your first track day.
Thanks! (although I know your comment was 100% sarcastic)
Old 05-13-2010, 11:12 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

Peter,

With your car set up like that, it is going to be very hard for you to ever find the true limits.

Your car needs more bite in the corners and more drive on the way out.

Next time you go to the track crank the bars both up to the middle and see if you can feel the difference.

Then try hard/hard.

I'd be really interested to hear what setup Chris Harris is going to be running at Ring with their stock RS.

Does anyone know?
Old 05-13-2010, 11:14 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

I'll be running 255/335 Hoosiers. Will let you know where I land with the swaybars, although pointless because there are so many other factors.

Thanks! (although I know your comment was 100% sarcastic)
Why do you say that? I mean't your first track day in your new RS.

No sarcasm from me.

These cars are very expensive and I know the first time that I take mine to the track I will be far more careful than in the Cup.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:21 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Same here.

Peter,
With your car set up like that, it is going to be very hard for you to ever find the true limits.
Your car needs more bite in the corners and more drive on the way out.
Next time you go to the track crank the bars both up to the middle and see if you can feel the difference.
Then try hard/hard.
I'd be really interested to hear what setup Chris Harris is going to be running at Ring with their stock RS.
Does anyone know?
Because the RS feels much softer and I am wearing too much outside rear tire with even temps accross the tire, I am hopping to stiffen up as you suggested through the weekend. Leaving for Sebring tomorrow.

Chris Harris will run Slicks and different shocks/springs I heard, and on a smooth track, so that will be different.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:30 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Same here.

Because the RS feels much softer and I am wearing too much outside rear tire with even temps accross the tire, I am hopping to stiffen up as you suggested through the weekend. Leaving for Sebring tomorrow.

Chris Harris will run Slicks and different shocks/springs I heard, and on a smooth track, so that will be different.
I think your car feels soft because you are running the sway bars too soft. You will be surpirsed at how the car reacts once you stiffen up the bars.

BTW are you running the suspension button in the cabin on?? Because on a bumpy track this might be too stiff?
Old 05-13-2010, 11:38 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I
think your car feels soft because you are running the sway bars too soft. You will be surpirsed at how the car reacts once you stiffen up the bars.

BTW are you running the suspension button in the cabin on?? Because on a bumpy track this might be too stiff?
The car is softer. It's not the sway bars.
I ran the GT3 in soft button, on hard it would bounce off the track, no matter how I set the sway bars.

The RS is soft enough with the button on hard, but I will try both settings once I start to start setting the sway bars stiffer. It may also be that I have the ride height higher on the RS (Stock).
Old 05-13-2010, 02:42 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Obviously none of you guys have met or driven with Mike. While yes, of course the video is a pitch for his product, he is far more knowledgeable and credible than anyone in the GT3 forum. And probably one of the nicest guys around. Havent had the RS on track yet (first event isn't until this weekend), but rear end feels a bit nervous. I've opted to go full soft in back and one from full stiff up front with the bars (similar to my '07 GT3 setup.) before this weekend. But bars are personal preference and driving style, some like a loose car, some tight. Looser cars are slower around the track. There are plenty of GT3 drivers who prefer the "looser" setup. For some the car feels to "carve" the corners much better, which is probably true, but they are far from the limit of the car. Add another 5mph entry/exit speed and see what happens. His guestimates of lap time for VIR are probably spot on ... but for drivers of his caliber vs our.
+1. TPC definitely know their stuff and Mike is a cool guy. I also prefer the rear bar to be soft in wet and/or if I'm not comfortable with the track and wants to be safer. Knowing RS is a street car that will see all type of weather conditions/cautions, it's not surprising that Porsche set it lose from the factory. Also, (on a track) looser means more weight moving around before the tires break lose the traction. Tighter means less weight moving around (so quicker) but tires break lose the traction faster. So, setting up a car tighter or looser depends on type of tires you're running because softer (sticker with heat) the tires, it is recommend to set it stiffer. Just a simple physics I learned from karting.

Last edited by datax; 05-13-2010 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:58 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to tell you guy's (in response to their tire setups) but the 335's are hurting versus helping your performance and giving you more of a rear end "soft" rolly feel due to too much sidewall and rollover.. I learned the hard way, with different tire setups/widths and data logging...

I have some monster power in my GT2 and 315's in the rear with a good tire and setup puts ALL of the power down, you guy's might want to size it down on your GT3's especially if on just a 12" wide rim. It can give the appearance of a sloppy suspension setup

As for Levitas he definitely is seasoned and experienced, knows his stuff.. But take what he's saying in relation to what the car is.. It's STILL a STREET CAR, meant more so for the race track. He is comparing his GT3 Cups and racecars setups which have been worked on and perfected through countless time on the race track, you cannot really compare the two EVEN if it shares a few same components...

His advice is awesome, but not as relevant as we think. If you are turning the RS into a strict track car which sees no street time? Then it's golden indeed, but Porsche themselves didn't have that in mind when producing this car as much as the "RS" aura screams race car.. So yes it can be worked upon in his point of view, in mine and all of us who do most of our driving on the track and who like a properly setup track car... But for the majority of people that is not what they want..

Quick Reply: VIDEO: 2010 GT3 RS Chassis Tuning