911 GT2 RS officially presented

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 10:21 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Riz
They don't really talk about the downforce this car produces. Does this car have as much downforce as the 2010 GT3 RS? I think they reduced the downforce to get less drag and higher top speed for the Ring.
Well its Cd has gone up from 0.32 to 0.34 and it will have a wider frontal area courtesy of the front wing flares....

The rear lip is now described as 10mm higher and a "gurney", the front spoiler is also obviously more "scoop" like.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:34 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,864 Likes on 964 Posts

Sounds like an F-Duct is order for the next GT3 and GT2 RS....
Old 05-14-2010, 12:39 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Riz
They don't really talk about the downforce this car produces. Does this car have as much downforce as the 2010 GT3 RS? I think they reduced the downforce to get less drag and higher top speed for the Ring.
It has to have more downforce/drag than the GT2 (not sure RS and why they didn't use a similar Wing) as it has almost the same top speed (+1mph) than the 90hp less powerful GT2.

Also, on the weight savings, there ahs to be a lot more bist and pieces that are different than in the standard GT as the wider front track suspension has to be weigh more (wider wheel/tire, longer? control arms, fender extension, etc.)

In other words, it is good to see that it is truly a one-off car with a lot of thought and detailed minor tuning engineer gone into it, and difficult to replicate by just bolting bits and pieces to standard car. The 7:18 lap is a true testament of that as I think it will be hard to match by a modded GT2 chipped to 620hp and trimmed down to the same weight. (For those who read TopGear check the article where they take 130kg/10% out of a Peugeot 207 and the Stig didn't improved the laptime at ALL. Setup is everything...). As with the 3 RS over the GT3, one of the main performance improving factors is the gearing (standard GT3 is just to tall for the big longs climbs on the latter part of the NRing Lap)

The 458, just by the sheer numbers of its power and weight. will not match the GT2 pace, and from what I read and know about the McL its focus will not be laptimes either. You will have to wait for the 458 Scud to lower that 7:18 lap.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:11 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok, I think we almost have it.

GT2 RS Weight Reduction
1-piece Carbon Seats (22 lbs each in Fabric instead of 73 lbs for the GT2 Carbon seats): -29 lbs
New PCCB (aluminum centers): -10.5 lbs
New CL Wheels: -8 lbs
Li-Ion Battery: -29 lbs
Carbon Hood: -5.5 lbs
Carbon Mirrors: -1 lb (est)
RS door panels: -2.2 lbs (from Boxster Spyder info)
Radio Delete: -6.6 lbs (from Boxster Spyder info)
Cup Holders Delete: -2 lbs (from Boxster Spyder info)
AC Delete: -37 lbs (all 996/997 GT2 GT3 GT3 RS, -26 lbs on 997 Carrera, Cayman, 987 Boxster)
2010 RS LWFW: -17.6 lbs (yummy)
Aluminum Rear shocks: -5 lbs (my own notes comparing the 996 GT3 strut to the Moton shock, and again the stock 430 Scuderia strut to a Moton 3-way strut, no springs)
Carbon Side Intakes: -1 lb (est)
Insulation & Soundproof): -5 lbs (from all the insulation I took out from the 996 GT3 at 3 lbs, and estimated 2 lbs on soundproof material)
No roof Transportation system: -2 lbs (weight of the steel rail that support close to 200 lbs on the roof, estimated)
Seat Belt fastener reinforcement in the floor: -1 lb (est)
Lighter Intake Plastic Manifold: -6.6 lbs
Plastic Rear Window: -8.8 lbs
Rear aluminium diagonal braces: -3 lbs
Dual springs front axle: -6.6 lbs (funny, I did the same in the Scuderia, with ultra light long Genesis helpers and short main HyperCo springs on the stock shocks, saved 4 lbs on unsprung weight despite of the car using a stock Titanium rear main spring)

I'm missing the weight savings from the new Wing in Carbon, and they may have done something with the exhaust, because right after the 2008 GT2 Titanium exhaust was released, Akrapovic (Porsche OEM for the GT2 Ti exhaust) released an even lighter version. In between the wing and the exhaust, the figure gets close to the 90Kg (198 lbs).

I doubt the F458 Scuderia/Stradale version, or a Nissan GTR V-Spec II, or a MP4-12C can get any close to the performance of the GT2 RS. Only the 2010 Viper ACR has a chance, back in 2008 the telemetry showed them the 08 ACR was capable of 7:19 (they ran 7:22), and they made improvements in the 2010 car with a shorter 5th gear, less drag and more downforce, so it should be able to take down the GT2 RS from the current record.

The F458 is as fast as the Scuderia around Ferrari's test track, and the Scuderia already lapped the Ring in 7:39. The F458 carries 300 lbs over the Scuderia and a softer suspension, I expect the F458 to lap in the 7:40s range.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:46 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

Are they finally using aluminum brake bells (hats) with the PCCB? If so, with what are they insolating the aluminum from heat?
Old 05-14-2010, 08:22 PM
GTDeux
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The wing blade on 997 GT2 has always been carbon in the Mk.1, though it was always painted over. I believe where the RS is different is that the decklid is also now in CF. Also, the plastic wing extention which is not sort of a gurney flap is also now in CF. I wonder why they didn't pull a BMW and go with a Carbon roof.

The Akrapovic exhaust setup in the RS should be interesting as well. I'm wondering if they used the full setup complete with Ti headers.

I think you are being optimistic that the ACR will easily gain over 4 seconds from the 2010 mods, but we will see. At those speeds, 4 seconds is not exactly insignificant.

Yes the ACR has the downforce with that big wing, but funny enough, now the RS has a little more power than the ACR as well as some trick aero parts, so the results should be interesting. Also, what is most interesting is that the ACR uses a fully adjustable KW 2-way adjustable racing shocks (not V3 or Clubsport), arguably superior for track use over even the modded PASM setup on the GT2-RS.

Could you imagine how fast the RS would be on a full race shock?

Given all that, no way I would ever take the ACR over the GT2-RS. The former is a very crappy road car and not very usable for normal roads.

Also, what exactly is the seat belt reinforcement in the floor? I was scratching my head when I read the description. Is it the seat belt anchors for the rear seats?? Also, does this affect safety at all?

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Ok, I think we almost have it.

GT2 RS Weight Reduction
1-piece Carbon Seats (22 lbs each in Fabric instead of 73 lbs for the GT2 Carbon seats): -29 lbs
New PCCB (aluminum centers): -10.5 lbs
New CL Wheels: -8 lbs
Li-Ion Battery: -29 lbs
Carbon Hood: -5.5 lbs
Carbon Mirrors: -1 lb (est)
RS door panels: -2.2 lbs (from Boxster Spyder info)
Radio Delete: -6.6 lbs (from Boxster Spyder info)
Cup Holders Delete: -2 lbs (from Boxster Spyder info)
AC Delete: -37 lbs (all 996/997 GT2 GT3 GT3 RS, -26 lbs on 997 Carrera, Cayman, 987 Boxster)
2010 RS LWFW: -17.6 lbs (yummy)
Aluminum Rear shocks: -5 lbs (my own notes comparing the 996 GT3 strut to the Moton shock, and again the stock 430 Scuderia strut to a Moton 3-way strut, no springs)
Carbon Side Intakes: -1 lb (est)
Insulation & Soundproof): -5 lbs (from all the insulation I took out from the 996 GT3 at 3 lbs, and estimated 2 lbs on soundproof material)
No roof Transportation system: -2 lbs (weight of the steel rail that support close to 200 lbs on the roof, estimated)
Seat Belt fastener reinforcement in the floor: -1 lb (est)
Lighter Intake Plastic Manifold: -6.6 lbs
Plastic Rear Window: -8.8 lbs
Rear aluminium diagonal braces: -3 lbs
Dual springs front axle: -6.6 lbs (funny, I did the same in the Scuderia, with ultra light long Genesis helpers and short main HyperCo springs on the stock shocks, saved 4 lbs on unsprung weight despite of the car using a stock Titanium rear main spring)

I'm missing the weight savings from the new Wing in Carbon, and they may have done something with the exhaust, because right after the 2008 GT2 Titanium exhaust was released, Akrapovic (Porsche OEM for the GT2 Ti exhaust) released an even lighter version. In between the wing and the exhaust, the figure gets close to the 90Kg (198 lbs).

I doubt the F458 Scuderia/Stradale version, or a Nissan GTR V-Spec II, or a MP4-12C can get any close to the performance of the GT2 RS. Only the 2010 Viper ACR has a chance, back in 2008 the telemetry showed them the 08 ACR was capable of 7:19 (they ran 7:22), and they made improvements in the 2010 car with a shorter 5th gear, less drag and more downforce, so it should be able to take down the GT2 RS from the current record.

The F458 is as fast as the Scuderia around Ferrari's test track, and the Scuderia already lapped the Ring in 7:39. The F458 carries 300 lbs over the Scuderia and a softer suspension, I expect the F458 to lap in the 7:40s range.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:45 PM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

PIG, sorry. If I wanted something like this I would buy a Corvette ZR1 and keep the change....
Old 05-14-2010, 09:46 PM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

A big mistake in my opinion.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:09 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by micahbones
Red with black wheels looks bad *** IMO:

Attachment 441772

Attachment 441773
That's exactly what I was thinking.

This will be an interesting car to me in 10-15 yrs at hopefully a big discount off new.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:29 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
That's exactly what I was thinking.

This will be an interesting car to me in 10-15 yrs at hopefully a big discount off new.
Limited production run, loss due to raced vehicles getting totalled. High demand as a collector's car! Don't think about saving thousands of dollars for used copies in ten to fifteen years. If anything you will see examples for around as much as they cost new and at a premium for examples with very low mileage.

This car for sure won't have the same depreciation curve as the standard GT2. Would be nice though eh?
Old 05-14-2010, 11:12 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
Are they finally using aluminum brake bells (hats) with the PCCB? If so, with what are they insolating the aluminum from heat?
Insolating? Does that mean bringing emotional support to the thermally distressed?

As for insulating materials, I see only the usual hardware (looks to the untrained eye like the patented McLaren anti-rattle.) I don't have the car with me or I'd photo the thing and let you tell me, because I'm curious!
Old 05-14-2010, 11:29 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
Limited production run, loss due to raced vehicles getting totalled. High demand as a collector's car! Don't think about saving thousands of dollars for used copies in ten to fifteen years. If anything you will see examples for around as much as they cost new and at a premium for examples with very low mileage.

This car for sure won't have the same depreciation curve as the standard GT2. Would be nice though eh?
i.e., 993 Turbo S for a recent example and 993 GT2's....not exactly dropping in price like stones, are they?
Old 05-14-2010, 11:40 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Gonna have to wait and see on that one...the 993s were the end of an era. All indications are that the next 911 will be subtly different than current, but lighter. Not to take anything away from this car...it looks to be fantastic...but if the next GT2 is even ligher and faster, this GT2RS won't be all that special, regardless of the Metzger motor.

When performance starts to deteriorate due to upcoming emissions legislation both here and abroad, the last and fastest across the automotive spectrum will be the ones to put in bubble wrap. We have a few years to go...
Old 05-14-2010, 11:43 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If someone has the good fortune to have a GT3RS or a GT2RS in their garage and they're fretting over the depreciation curve, they bought the right car for the wrong reasons.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:14 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Hard to say what's going to happen 15 years from now and how these things will depreciate.

Even if they stay at MSRP the relative value of those $$$ will be less due to inflation.

Quick Reply: 911 GT2 RS officially presented