Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

911 GT2 RS officially presented

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 12:15 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

On the isolation front, I'd use titanium -- and I'd mount the bells with silver plated fasteners. As to value of these cars, the safest way to buy is assume zero and move forward.
Attached Images   
Old 05-15-2010, 04:48 AM
GTDeux
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dertub
PIG, sorry. If I wanted something like this I would buy a Corvette ZR1 and keep the change....
And your ZR-1 would still get passed by the GT2-RS, assuming it doesn't fall apart first.

If the 2 RS is a pig, what would that make the 3 RS, a sloth with 2 limbs missing?
Old 05-15-2010, 09:31 AM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
If someone has the good fortune to have a GT3RS or a GT2RS in their garage and they're fretting over the depreciation curve, they bought the right car for the wrong reasons.
No bubble wrap for me, CGT!! gonna drive them all till I drop
Old 05-15-2010, 12:59 PM
rpalomo
Instructor

love that it has a standard manual gearbox
Old 05-15-2010, 04:34 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Gonna have to wait and see on that one...the 993s were the end of an era. All indications are that the next 911 will be subtly different than current, but lighter. Not to take anything away from this car...it looks to be fantastic...but if the next GT2 is even ligher and faster, this GT2RS won't be all that special, regardless of the Metzger motor.

When performance starts to deteriorate due to upcoming emissions legislation both here and abroad, the last and fastest across the automotive spectrum will be the ones to put in bubble wrap. We have a few years to go...
No telling where the new CAFE requirements will put us!?!

The one thing I do like us how Porsche is the only Performance Brand, at the moment, that is being proactive about it; US CAFE requirements that is! It will be interesting to see how the requirements will impact brands like Porsche, aforementioned(!), Ferrari, Lamborghini, Spyker et al.

The larger manufacturers will have an easier go of it since fuel economy will be averaged out across the entire range of vehicles of the brand. So Chevrolet for example won't have to make performance concessions on the Corvette when they have smaller cars getting close to 50-60 MPG with hybrid technology. But Porsche and Ferrari have fewer vehicles they can spread the average out and over with!

Another question I have is, do they average the economy out over the entire range of an entire company such as General Motor, Ford Motor Company and FIAT which encompasses many brands?

Now you know why the King Pins at Porsche want a cheaper car under the Boxster? It's to help them meet CAFE!
Old 05-15-2010, 05:17 PM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Why in the world would CAFE requirements have to be met by highly specialized limited run vehicles..especially high end small manufactures

First off all these vehicles are too damn expensive for the common man to own or drive on a daily basis..(so mpg is not a factor)

Second for most who can afford them.. I highly doubt that he or she is trying to get 50mpg off a $245k vehicle...that is what your daily driver is for..
Old 05-15-2010, 08:20 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

That is unclear to me. Do the smaller manufacturers have to meet the CAFE requirements? Is there a number of vehicles that they have to keep under to not have to worry about it? If Porsche doesn't have to worry about CAFE then why are they farting around with hybrid technology?

The 911 TT us awesome in that it has 500 BHP/FT-LB and still achieves 24 MPG bone stock highway. That is just silly really.

Just looked at the wikipedia webpage on CAFE. A manufacturer may choose to pay a penalty instead of attempting to meet CAFE. But none-the-less Porsche is heading in the right direction with their excercises in racing and developing hybrid technology.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:03 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,103 Likes on 2,874 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
That is unclear to me. Do the smaller manufacturers have to meet the CAFE requirements? Is there a number of vehicles that they have to keep under to not have to worry about it? If Porsche doesn't have to worry about CAFE then why are they farting around with hybrid technology?

The 911 TT us awesome in that it has 500 BHP/FT-LB and still achieves 24 MPG bone stock highway. That is just silly really.

Just looked at the wikipedia webpage on CAFE. A manufacturer may choose to pay a penalty instead of attempting to meet CAFE. But none-the-less Porsche is heading in the right direction with their excercises in racing and developing hybrid technology.
I think CAFE is a US-only reg and Porsche might be thinking about current/future International regs.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:19 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

CAFE is US only, so if you want to sell cars in the US you must meet them or pay a fine!

Read the wiki on CAFE and it will tell you that both Porsche and Ferrari have paid the fine in the past. Since CAFE is nothing new; we're just ramping up for the 2020 requirement. The better mileage the cars get the less of fine must be paid.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:17 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Best 911 rear end ever ?

Old 05-17-2010, 12:55 PM
lusoporsche
Intermediate

The best looking 911 rear end ever is the GT3 RSR, in fact that's what Porsche should do to go above the "normal" GT3, build a road version of the RSR with it's super naughty extra wide *** and front.

I must confess I'm getting a bit overwhelmed by the sheer ammount of GT-rness Porsche is throwing around.

Edit: like this:

Now I go before I get eviscerated...

I'm still interested in the red color shown in the press photos though, it surely doesn't look like standard guards red!
Old 05-17-2010, 07:17 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

I like to think the best rear end ever, for a Porsche that is, is the Ferrari F40 Slaying 959. Sorry no picture handy at the moment!
Old 05-17-2010, 11:49 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TB993tt
Best 911 rear end ever ?

First time I have seen this pic. Freaking steamroller x2 tires. Good gawd. That is pretty much off the scale. "Money" as the kids say.

Yes, red with the black wheels would be mighty fine.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:43 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,888 Likes on 973 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
First time I have seen this pic. Freaking steamroller x2 tires. Good gawd. That is pretty much off the scale. "Money" as the kids say.
Savyboy: You should be familiar with this view - same wheel and tire dimensions as your RS.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:59 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,888 Likes on 973 Posts

Wheel color has a big impact on look:
Attached Images          

Quick Reply: 911 GT2 RS officially presented