Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Tyre advice needed- do I go PS2 for the winter/ wet track days?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 08:51 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Tyre advice needed- do I go PS2 for the winter/ wet track days?

The dilemma- Track day in just over a week... It goes ahead regardless of weather.

Car was delivered on MPSCs... It is starting to get wet here now- mainly random showers for the moment but as I experienced on the weekend, it can come down hard too and the Cups don't like it at all.

If I remain on MPSCs and it's wet next thursday, I'd say my track day will be useless as Philip Island is fast and cold and more prone to extreme downpoors. I doubt the cups would be safe to track with, even taking it easy..

If I go to PS2 and its wet, with care I'd assume all is good...Also it will allow me to use the car heaps during the wet months ahead. If its dry, I will compromise grip (relative to the Cups) and the car will probably understeer and push heaps.

For the record, I do intend to go to 2 sets of wheels- street and track set so (i) MPSCs won't go to waste and (ii) I had intended to buy PS2s at some point anyway... Holding out on some CCWs or similar when they become available as I ain't particularly inspired to blow $10k on BBS... I should also mention that I won't be pushing like crazy as I'm using the complimentary track day to continue my break-in with higher loads and revs and to acquant myself with the car...

Thoughts & opinions please, what do you track guys do on wet days -other than stay home

Old 04-27-2010, 09:35 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As an alternate, Pirelli's P Zero Corsa System or whatever Pirelli are now calling their MPSC equivalent affords rather better wet weather performance.

They are the OEM alternative so come with an N rating as well.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:56 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

you need to move into street tires now. Pirellis P zero, Mich PS2 and bridgestone has a good offering as well.

take you MPSC and shelf em' in the garage for another day.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:28 AM
TripleM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try the new advan AD08, now it comes in 19inch but rear is only 295 max which is almost like 305 of PS2..the advan has squarish shoulder block so looks wider visually..

i m getting this as daily *** wet track day. When no rain, I run Hoosiers R6
Old 04-27-2010, 10:47 AM
savyboy
Drifting

While not a perfect dry track tire, Hankook Ventus V12's are superb in the wet and great for street and the pricing is very compelling. I have then on my C4S which I tracked in the wet. Very confidence inspiring.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:41 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

My street tires are Bridgestone RE11s and I ran them for three sessions this past Sunday in some pretty heavy rain. I was quite pleased with their wet handling and they're holding up great for street duty. I recommend them.

I'd like to try the Advans, and probably will when these RE11s wear out. I guess that's the one big upside to Porsche tire wear -- you get to try a lot of different tires.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:14 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

which GT car you have?

I will order my wet/road setup in 18" PS2 in BBS. There is not a lot of tires selection for size 325.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:23 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,301 Likes on 615 Posts

the ps2s aren't bad as a daily tire, but as others have said the MPSC is relatively crap as it's really really shallow- unless you want to slide around just for fun or drifting practice, I'd definitely look at a real "street tire" like ps2. I haven't used the corsas on the gt3 yet.

fwiw I liked the dry grip of the advan 048 on my 580hp TT- I think it's about availability and budget in terms of making a "wet tire" choice as they're all going to be similar performance
Old 04-27-2010, 05:59 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nugget
I guess that's the one big upside to Porsche tire wear -- you get to try a lot of different tires.
You my friend are a master at making lemonade out of lemons...lol

Touche'
Old 04-27-2010, 06:29 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the responses fellas. I've checked out availability of some of the other tyres recommended. With the hankooks and yoki AV08s, whilst we can get them in oz, they are not available in GT3 sizes here. We can't get the Pirelli Pzeros at all (yes we can get corsa system) and Bridgestone have indicated that the RE11 should be available by year's end...Really only leaves RE050s or PS2s.... Will be visiting the tyre shop today to get some new tyres on my other car and will enquire...

So general concensus is to shelve the MPSCs and do this up coming track day on street tyres???
Old 04-27-2010, 06:34 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
which GT car you have?

I will order my wet/road setup in 18" PS2 in BBS. There is not a lot of tires selection for size 325.
Hey Targa Tim, I have a '10 GT3... Due to the fact that our tyre size ranges suck here in Oz, I'm planning to stay with OEM sizes as we get some options there... Importing is not really viable due to their bulk and the shipping charges associated.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:58 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Hey guys,

Just got back from the tyre shop. The fellas there suggested to run the cups if dry or not to run. Reason- it would be an expensive exercise as the street tyres will get too hot and scrub the shoulders, especially at PI. Have you guys tracked street tyres? Can one outing (wet or dry) destroy them as suggested by the shop?
Old 04-27-2010, 09:13 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Street tires won't get any heat in them if the track is wet. You can chew the hell out of street tires if you go out in the dry and drive with exuberance. If you can keep it slow at 8/10ths and avoid too much drift it'll be fine.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:41 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Thanks Nugget!
Old 04-28-2010, 03:08 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,301 Likes on 615 Posts

+1 nugget.

tires in the wet only get chewed up if your pressures are terribly high and the track is terribly coarse- so when they get warm and stand around...you get little blisters on them. you've got to get serious brake lockup to really get them that hot though.

Quick Reply: Tyre advice needed- do I go PS2 for the winter/ wet track days?