Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Tyre advice needed- do I go PS2 for the winter/ wet track days?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 05:45 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanx for the advice fellas... Going to leave it till early next week to check out the weather forecast. If it ain't looking so good, I'm going to do the dash for tyres...
Old 04-28-2010, 06:48 AM
got2go
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 39 Posts

I just did the Road Atlanta DE with N1 MPSC's (the oem tire on the 2010's). It poured rain on Saturday and the tires performed surprisingly well. No DOT tire is going to handle standing water well, and most tracks have a "wet" line that's different than the ideal dry line. The new Pirelli Trofeo is the corsa replacement and is supposed to be even better in the wet. If this is your first time with this car on this track, the wet conditions will probably be a good opportunity to refine your line without being crazy fast.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:30 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by got2go
If this is your first time with this car on this track, the wet conditions will probably be a good opportunity to refine your line without being crazy fast.
This is pretty much the plan got2go... Will still be running it in so I intend to focus on line and technique, won't be going crazy. I find the MPSC- n1s to be fine in the wet as long as there isn't any standing water. If I do go on these and it buckets down rain, I'll just park him until it drains off the track. Philip island is a great track... Drainage should be good...
Old 04-28-2010, 05:02 PM
kush07
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No point in storing the cups, especially since they wear so quickly. You got 'em. Might as well burn 'em up. A few track days and a few thousand miles and they're gone. Then the decision really comes.

I went with PS2 for street/wet track and got a second set of wheels w/ Hoosiers for dry track. Very happy w/ these options. PS2 is much more confidence inspiring in the wet (street or track), and I'm hoping to get better life out of them than the cups. I was very impressed with them this weekend on a wet track at Summit Point. Not a particularly fast track, but I was very happy with them. Stuck really well.

Enjoy the new car. We'll see how long your strategy of "focus on line and technique, won't be going crazy" lasts.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:29 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kush07
Enjoy the new car. We'll see how long your strategy of "focus on line and technique, won't be going crazy" lasts.
Not long, a taste of speed should take care of that... Just till its run in and I'm comfortable with the way she responds on the corners
Old 04-29-2010, 05:16 PM
RobT 394
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 63 Posts

Quick question for guys running the Hoosiers. How do they wear compared to the MPSC on the track, and I assume you trailer the car as opposed to driving to the event?
Old 04-29-2010, 05:29 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

After 5 track days (~500 miles) I find that the Hoosiers have suffered enough heat cycles to lose their great grip. The tires get a little less predictable and have moderately less grip. How much of an impact this has on my lap times depends heavily on which track I'm driving. I ran cooked R6s all weekend at MSR Houston a few weeks ago and I was just a bit slower than I would have otherwise been. I tried to run cooked R6s at H2R a few months ago and it was really unsettling. H2R has a worse surface, more bumps, and more off-camber corners which makes predictable grip more important. I figure I can get another three or four days out of a cooked set of R6s if I don't mind being slower and a bit loose in the tight corners. After that, they're physically worn down too much.

There's no practical way to drive to an event on Hoosiers. It's just a bad idea from any perspective -- Unsafe, expensive, and impractical.

Quick Reply: Tyre advice needed- do I go PS2 for the winter/ wet track days?