Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Lithium Ion Battery Arrival and Unboxing

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 10:01 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Thank you for sharing the information. Your battery did not come in a box with the new car because they ran out of inventory, correct?
Old 05-19-2010, 11:09 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by enthusiast
Thank you for sharing the information. Your battery did not come in a box with the new car because they ran out of inventory, correct?
RS- LiON wasn't available from mfg upon completion of car, so Porsche shipped it after the fact. Mfg date stamped on LiON was 3/10, after mfg date of my car.

Spyder- Press release says it was to be offered on configurator, but still not. presumably because demand outstripped supply. My dealer graciously offered to order and ship me the battery at configurator pricing ($1700).
Old 05-19-2010, 11:29 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

probably good for 1.252 seconds at Thunderhill . . .
Old 05-20-2010, 07:47 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont take this wrong ...but total headache for weight loss!! Seam kinda crazy waste to me, a street legal car.. Does the car have ac? And a radio.? Loose the radio and speakers ...

But in all seriousness ,,, is it worth .10 seconds a lap? For the cost and headache or is it ego thing ?

I guess in Vegas you need the ac though lol
Old 05-20-2010, 07:53 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

Btw how do like the spyder
Old 05-20-2010, 08:19 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,878 Likes on 970 Posts

$77/lb weight loss with battery. $220/lb for PCCBs. Still seems like a relative bargain in terms of weight loss options. Plus, they include the standard battery for the price.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:26 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

wouldnt have the PCCBs either... bc if you are driving the car as a track car... the cost to replace is offset by the weight loss... in addition I would not calculate dead weight against rotating mass weight loss the same... the benefits of the rotating mass are of greater value.. ie light weight wheel would me better for me than a battery i had to keep a tender on 90%of time is my point... or use AC By pass... loose more weight and help the resistance on the engine ... but we are still talking about about a street car,,, and in the end of the day ... the difference on the track for the non professional driver .. hmmm i doubt there will be a recognized gain... more seat time and better tires and pads would probably have a better result... but just my humble opinion..

I would still like to have new RS or Gt2 Rs ... to have to make this decision!!!!!
Old 05-20-2010, 10:14 AM
cscrogham
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 86 Posts

I would still like to have new RS or Gt2 Rs ... to have to make this decision!!!!! [/QUOTE]

No doubt you will have both before its over...
Old 05-20-2010, 11:08 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by lawjdc
probably good for 1.252 seconds at Thunderhill . . .
Chasing you I need all the help I can get!

Lol...

Originally Posted by 930man
But in all seriousness ,,, is it worth .10 seconds a lap? For the cost and headache or is it ego thing ?
What "headache" is involved? I installed the LiON and that's it. It doesn't have to be removed? Install takes about 10 minutes. Nor does it require any maintenence. And the spec sheet claims a longer and stronger service life. You have read the specs?

No ego thing, just an appreciation and enjoyment of new technology. Same reason I run RAID0 Intel X25-M SSD's in my computer. Unless someone reads this thread, no one knows about either. Not like I park in the paddock with my hood open and battery cover open haha... Let's call it a "personal satisfaction" thing?

Personally, I am not into non-functional options such as carbon overlays, deviated stitching and red guages and full leather (8 lbs!), and prefer to go the LiON/PCCB route when spending my option money.

Btw how do like the spyder
Awesome! A baby GT3 and very fast in its own right. Just needs tires and sway bars. Build quality is as good or even better than 911 series. Perfect driving choice when you don't want to take the RS to the grocery store but want a special experience.

...than a battery i had to keep a tender on 90% of time is my point...
Why would you say this? It is not true. Perhaps for other lightweight or race batteries. Not for the OE LiON. Install it and forget it, no need for a tender. I mis-set my RaceKeeper video/data system last track weekend and it never shut off and my LiON was fine.

Look...like PCCB, the LiON will appeal to a group of people, and not others, and that is ok. It does offer multiple functional benefits- at a price. Same for PCCB. If you are an early adopter and like cool tech and your budget supports it, then spec it and enjoy it. If not, that is mighty fine too and we can still enjoy chasing each other around the track
Old 05-20-2010, 12:06 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

Sweet !!! My mistake I really thought it was like a race battery where it was constant tender! Nice ,, hoping off my box!

I want to drive a spyder was offered one the other day! Thought it would fun with the things you mentioned... Btw I like technogly and gadets... IE typing on my useless I pad ... That I could use the iPhone for the excat same thing!!!
Lol

Originally Posted by savyboy
Chasing you I need all the help I can get!

Lol...

What "headache" is involved? I installed the LiON and that's it. It doesn't have to be removed? Install takes about 10 minutes. Nor does it require any maintenence. And the spec sheet claims a longer and stronger service life. You have read the specs?

No ego thing, just an appreciation and enjoyment of new technology. Same reason I run RAID0 Intel X25-M SSD's in my computer. Unless someone reads this thread, no one knows about either. Not like I park in the paddock with my hood open and battery cover open haha... Let's call it a "personal satisfaction" thing?

Personally, I am not into non-functional options such as carbon overlays, deviated stitching and red guages and full leather (8 lbs!), and prefer to go the LiON/PCCB route when spending my option money.

Awesome! A baby GT3 and very fast in its own right. Just needs tires and sway bars. Build quality is as good or even better than 911 series. Perfect driving choice when you don't want to take the RS to the grocery store but want a special experience.

Why would you say this? It is not true. Perhaps for other lightweight or race batteries. Not for the OE LiON. Install it and forget it, no need for a tender. I mis-set my RaceKeeper video/data system last track weekend and it never shut off and my LiON was fine.

Look...like PCCB, the LiON will appeal to a group of people, and not others, and that is ok. It does offer multiple functional benefits- at a price. Same for PCCB. If you are an early adopter and like cool tech and your budget supports it, then spec it and enjoy it. If not, that is mighty fine too and we can still enjoy chasing each other around the track
Old 05-20-2010, 12:13 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Did Savvy mention he owns the company that's the OEM for the factory Li-Ion battery ... ?
Old 05-20-2010, 01:32 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Sweet !!! My mistake I really thought it was like a race battery where it was constant tender! Nice ,, hoping off my box!

I want to drive a spyder was offered one the other day! Thought it would fun with the things you mentioned... Btw I like technogly and gadets... IE typing on my useless I pad ... That I could use the iPhone for the excat same thing!!!
Lol
No worries! There are some misconceptions about the LiON. Important to be fully informed.

A Spyder would be a great addition to any enthusiasts garage. For only occaisional trackers, probably the better choice over a GT3 for the superior day to day practicality and lowered expenses (initial cost/tires/fuel mileage). Also preinstalled rollhoop, easy harness mounting, neutral handling, front and rear storage space. And it is a sweet engine, with PSE it howls.

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Did Savvy mention he owns the company that's the OEM for the factory Li-Ion battery ... ?
And I thank you for your support! lol
Old 05-23-2010, 03:02 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One wonders how the Odyssey PC680 battery would work in these cars. Seriously.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:20 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Craig - RennStore.com
One wonders how the Odyssey PC680 battery would work in these cars. Seriously.
i ran a pc680 in my Cup car. doesnt have the same draw of the GT3 road cars, though im no engineer so maybe its irrelevant once the alternator gets involved. and it worked fine for 2 years.
i just replaced it with the 15lb Braille when it went bad (went bad due to my error as one two many times i left something powered on and it just couldnt handle being zero'd out so many times).

so far the braille works great in the cup. at 15lbs. maybe being 1,2lbs heavier is wroth saving the $2k

Craig, FYI, thanks so much for the Cup and Boxster Pads and what-not. great service you guys have.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:53 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh right yes - thanks for the business! That is one heavy box on the way to you ;-)

I'd be very tempted to use the $100 PC680, IMO personal opinion I think it would work just fine.
Hell of a battery, I use them.

Quick Reply: Lithium Ion Battery Arrival and Unboxing