Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Akrapovic race exhaust system + 2010 GT3 = Before/After dyno, pics and vids

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 11:45 AM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 288 Likes on 141 Posts
Wink Akrapovic race exhaust system + 2010 GT3 = Before/After dyno, pics and vids

I know its been a while, so I thought I'd open a new thread with updates.

1080p HD

720 HD

SAE DynoJet results (Same day before and after)

STD DynoJet results (Same day before and after)

Quick vid. Much better, detailed and longer vid coming tonight.

The baseline results are from the car 100% stock, deckled closed, and 93 gas. The "after" dyno, everything is stock, except the Akrapovic race (100cel cats) system. ECU is currently STOCK, and will be done in a couple of weeks, together with intake filter. I'll post some picture and videos tomorrow. The sound really does have the ingredients of perfection. The results, show 18+ hp @ 5800 rpm and 4300 rpm. Torque 20+ lbs @ 4300 rpm and 5900 rpm. 12 hp gain @ 8400 rpm. Consistent gains from 3.8K rpm all the way to the 8500 redline. 62 lbs weight loss. Not bad at all for exhaust only and same day dynos, unlike others....

More to come......

Last edited by GT3; 06-29-2018 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:18 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

very impressive.

what about cats/emissions? check engine lights?

whats the cost?
Old 04-17-2010, 02:49 PM
prosper
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't wait to see the dyno again after you Re Program the ECU and the Intake Filter.
Hopefully it will help with the power chart below 3,800rpm.

Please don't forget to dyno your car again at the day before the ECU and Intake filter modification as baseline,
and then after the ECU and Intake modified. so it will be a truly complete comparison like the one you do above

and do you ever own a Sharkwerks bypass exhaust or their full race exhaust ?
How do the Akrapovic sound compare to Sharkwerks product ?

I am NOT talking about comparing the horsepower gain between akrapovic and sharkwerks because it will need a direct baseline, same car, same dyno and same day comparison to achieve that...
and I don't see that possible unless someone owned a sharkwerks bypass/race exhaust installed and then change to Akrapovic or vice versa... (that would be a good comparison though)...

but I think just a sound comparison should be easy... if you have heard or owned sharkwerks exhaust before...
or maybe you know someone in your area who have Sharkwerks exhaust and you guys can compare the sound...

Because Akrapovic is deleting the side exhaust muffler,
while Sharkwerks (at least their by pass exhaust) is deleting the rear exhaust muffler,
and of course there is the Sharkwerks race exhaust that is more like a straight pipe exhaust...(no muffler at all)

not to mention the different in material (Titanium vs. Stainless Steel), which surely bring different coloration of the sound too...

I wonder what the sound differences will be between them ?

anyway,
Thanks for your post, video, picture and dyno charts
Old 04-17-2010, 05:28 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

9 videos have just been uploaded to post #1
Old 04-17-2010, 06:35 PM
silverboy
Burning Brakes

I own a Ducati Desmocedici and know this brand. Definitely thumbs up for their quality but like their motorbike pricing, it is at a premium. It seems normal nowadays to see the migration they have taken. Another brand taken the same route is Ohlins suspension.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:43 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Working on merging all the vid and better quality also....
Old 04-17-2010, 06:56 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 95spiderman
very impressive.

what about cats/emissions? check engine lights?

whats the cost?
Cats are 100 cell cats. I was told it wont pass emissions.... No check engine light, though.
Luckily, we don't need to pass emissions in FL. If we did, I'd just uninstall and re-install when needed.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:38 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by prosper
I can't wait to see the dyno again after you Re Program the ECU and the Intake Filter.
Hopefully it will help with the power chart below 3,800rpm.

Please don't forget to dyno your car again at the day before the ECU and Intake filter modification as baseline,
and then after the ECU and Intake modified. so it will be a truly complete comparison like the one you do above

and do you ever own a Sharkwerks bypass exhaust or their full race exhaust ?
How do the Akrapovic sound compare to Sharkwerks product ?

I am NOT talking about comparing the horsepower gain between akrapovic and sharkwerks because it will need a direct baseline, same car, same dyno and same day comparison to achieve that...
and I don't see that possible unless someone owned a sharkwerks bypass/race exhaust installed and then change to Akrapovic or vice versa... (that would be a good comparison though)...

but I think just a sound comparison should be easy... if you have heard or owned sharkwerks exhaust before...
or maybe you know someone in your area who have Sharkwerks exhaust and you guys can compare the sound...

Because Akrapovic is deleting the side exhaust muffler,
while Sharkwerks (at least their by pass exhaust) is deleting the rear exhaust muffler,
and of course there is the Sharkwerks race exhaust that is more like a straight pipe exhaust...(no muffler at all)

not to mention the different in material (Titanium vs. Stainless Steel), which surely bring different coloration of the sound too...

I wonder what the sound differences will be between them ?

anyway,
Thanks for your post, video, picture and dyno charts
In a couple of weeks to 1 month, I'll be doing ECU tune and intake filter. Before and after dynos will be done the same day as well, on the same dyno. I may do Evoms, or MHP. MHP, has ALMS GT2 race files, which aside from engine tune, also have PSM, variocams and DCS patches.

Originally, I was ordered the Sharkwerks track system, but canceled it. I heard it in person and liked it. However, after hearing it more and more, to me, it was something that would become annoying over time. Especially 2-4K rpms. Too loud. For a track only car, it wouldn't be bad. Hard to really explain the sound differences in word, but the Akrapovic, to me, is something that has the perfect balance of sound. The videos still don't do justice to the presence of the akrapovic sound in person. It really brings out the exotic sound out of the 3.8 GT1 engine...

I would have liked to see a before and after dyno of the SW track system by itself. I have only seen their Evoms software results, and then together with the exhaust, but no exhaust alone dyno.

Im going to meet a fellow local reenlist member in a couple of days. Maybe he can provide some better description of the sound.

The person I knew with the SW track system (997 GT3), just sold it for a 997 turbo. If I find another local with it, I'll make videos side-by-side.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:40 PM
prosper
Instructor

Originally Posted by JMD0977
In a couple of weeks to 1 month, I'll be doing ECU tune and intake filter. Before and after dynos will be done the same day as well, on the same dyno. I may do Evoms, or MHP. MHP, has ALMS GT2 race files, which aside from engine tune, also have PSM, variocams and DCS patches.

Originally, I was ordered the Sharkwerks track system, but canceled it. I heard it in person and liked it. However, after hearing it more and more, to me, it was something that would become annoying over time. Especially 2-4K rpms. Too loud. For a track only car, it wouldn't be bad. Hard to really explain the sound differences in word, but the Akrapovic, to me, is something that has the perfect balance of sound. The videos still don't do justice to the presence of the akrapovic sound in person. It really brings out the exotic sound out of the 3.8 GT1 engine...

I would have liked to see a before and after dyno of the SW track system by itself. I have only seen their Evoms software results, and then together with the exhaust, but no exhaust alone dyno.

Im going to meet a fellow local reenlist member in a couple of days. Maybe he can provide some better description of the sound.

The person I knew with the SW track system (997 GT3), just sold it for a 997 turbo. If I find another local with it, I'll make videos side-by-side.
Thanks JMD0977,

I can't wait to see another report from you with your next dyno run with the ECU and Intake upgrade.

and when you say MHP,
you must mean this company ?
http://www.modernhorsepower.com/
is it correct ?

I never heard about this company until you mention today.
Very interesting.
I will read more about them after this.

Thanks again
Old 04-18-2010, 03:48 PM
PatK-Mpls
Instructor

I have an Akropovic race (same as one posted here) that is new in the box that must sell. PM me if interested.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:03 PM
Antonov
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

sounds spectacular
Old 04-18-2010, 05:52 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JMD0977
Just merged all the vids into one and better quality:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K_sw4bbKGQ
Thanks for the video and your GT3 look real fast even though you are only going at the posted 25 mph speed limit

Sounds great under the bridge
Old 04-18-2010, 06:12 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mikymu
Thanks for the video and your GT3 look real fast even though you are only going at the posted 25 mph speed limit
You're welcome. I have some amazing video editing software that gives the faster speed effect You know, like PhotoShop for pics.....

Last edited by GT3; 04-18-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:17 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by prosper
Thanks JMD0977,

I can't wait to see another report from you with your next dyno run with the ECU and Intake upgrade.

and when you say MHP,
you must mean this company ?
http://www.modernhorsepower.com/
is it correct ?

I never heard about this company until you mention today.
Very interesting.
I will read more about them after this.

Thanks again
Yes, thats the company. I really want their GT2 ALMS 997 cup car tune, because it will provide advantages on the track that a simple engine tune wont. But it is a bit expensive. I may just try Evoms first for now.....and used the money difference on suspension bits...

The great thing with MHP, is that I can have 2 ECU's. One 93 gas for the street, and one 98-100 gas for the track and they have a 14 day money back guarantee, but I need to set up a "My GT3 mod donation fund".
Old 04-18-2010, 10:23 PM
jmachul
Advanced

I saw and heard the exhaust today and the videos do not do it justice.....absolutely amazing crisp, clean sound. No resination at all......Quite impressive.....

Quick Reply: Akrapovic race exhaust system + 2010 GT3 = Before/After dyno, pics and vids