Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 01:14 PM
HHANS951
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MANTHEY 3.9

07 GT3 just came in to do a Manthey 3.9 Conversion - will keep everyone updated on the progress incl pics

Hans
Old 03-31-2010, 01:47 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

subscribed
Old 03-31-2010, 03:28 PM
prosper
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much is the price for this 3.9 Manthey Conversion ?

How about the warranty policy for this conversion ?
Old 03-31-2010, 05:10 PM
HRTC
5th Gear

Curious how this will compare to the SW 3.9??
Old 03-31-2010, 06:49 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Why are these upgrades necessary??

When it comes to engines and tranny's.. i leave them alone, especially on GT3's.

i think these "upgrades" are not worth the $$

Once again, we have small shops and tinkers (IMO) trying to out engineering Porsche Motorsports and the millions of dollars of budgets and engineers on staff.

Stay stock and enjoy it..... or just copy the new 3.8.... but I just think any of these engine upgrades are asking for reliability trouble... maybe not now.. but in a few years.

I would like to see ones of these upgrades after 20,000+ track/race miles!!
Old 03-31-2010, 06:50 PM
OmahaGT
Instructor

Awesome. Subscribed.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:27 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Interested in what the difference between something like this and Sharky's is.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:42 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree with you to a certain point but probably for different reasons.. I don't plan to do this type of mod anytime soon because I think it is the driver (me) who's the limiting factor when driving around the track.. and on the street you can't really use much of these GT3's performance anyway..

Anyway, regarding your comments on how can one outdo Porsche engineers.. I think the engineers are limited by some design parameters.. they might need to stay within 3.6L to satisfy certain regulation.. they might not use the most expensive parts for economic reasons (Sharky's 3.9L pistons are forged and lighter than the stock units even though it is bigger, for example, and I'm sure cost more.. !), and factory cars have certain compromises when it comes to NVH, etc. So I do see that it is possible for tuners to improve upon Porsche's design... !

Originally Posted by mobonic

When it comes to engines and tranny's.. i leave them alone, especially on GT3's.

Once again, we have small shops and tinkers (IMO) trying to out engineering Porsche Motorsports and the millions of dollars of budgets and engineers on staff.

Stay stock and enjoy it..... or just copy the new 3.8.... but I just think any of these engine upgrades are asking for reliability trouble... maybe not now.. but in a few years.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:48 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Sure, I would like to see how one of the SW 3.9 enines are doing after 20K miles. Can't say for sure but I'm certain there won't be much of any issues; meaning I'm pretty confident of the whole affair.

As for spending millions on development let Porsche do that. Nothing wrong with letting them do all the RnD, that is why we pay such high prices at retail to begine with. Again nothing wrong with letting the tinkerers do some tinkering to eek some more power out of the engines.

With that said, and for the SharkWerks 3.9 modification, it has been getting extremly high acclaim and praise. Often being considered in the top three engines from the factory or modifiers according to many sources. It is a far better and smoother engine than just the 3.8 engine by itself.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:50 PM
HHANS951
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Manthey by no means is a Backyard Tinkerer - fully Porsche supported and funded, Factory Drivers etc etc

hhmmmmmmmm, complete 3.9 Parts and Labor 30k
Old 03-31-2010, 08:04 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

double subscirbed :-)
Old 03-31-2010, 08:39 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I dont understand how a Sharkwerks 3.9 conversion or a manthey 3.9 is claiming to make so much power?

A 997 GT3 Cup Engine that need to be rebuilt ever 30 hours and runs at the limit, makes less power than a sharkwerks and Manthey 3.9.. this just does not sound like 1+1=2 to me.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:30 AM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Perhaps these will convince you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manthey_Racing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4t-Te-gNZ8

3.9L 996 GT3 vs. 997 GT3 RS at Snetterton: http://vimeo.com/8822161
Old 04-01-2010, 01:54 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Also keep in mind that Porsche has been running 3.9's for a while now...
Old 04-01-2010, 02:07 AM
prosper
Instructor

Porsche needs million of dollars because they are "DEVELOPING" an engine that should last for a very long time, reliable everyday, pass emission,endure many kind of driving style, and can run on fuel that is NOT the best quality.

Tuner like Sharkwerks or Manthey do NOT need to spend that much since they are still using the basic design on the engine,
and just changing some Parts (Piston and Cylinder Liner), and "TUNE" it incrementally until they hit
the highest limit of what the engine can withstand.
Tuning do NOT cost as much as Development.
so the keyword here is "TUNING" vs. "DEVELOPMENT"

Beside, customer who convert their engine with the Sharkwerks or Manthey kit know that their engine will not be as reliable (long term) as Porsche standard factory engine, but they are willing to pay the price for higher "shorter term" performance.
beside Sharkwerks or Manthey customer should be among the enthusiast that pay more attention to maintenance than regular customer.

I am pretty sure that after 20,000 miles,
Standard Factory Engine should have LESS Tear and Wear compare to a Highly Tuned Sharkwerks or Manthey,...

but between those 20,000 miles,
a Sharkwerks or Manthey tuned engine would Perform at much higher level than standard factory engine,
and that alone might worth the cost (for some people "including me").

No doubt, that higher performance will cost you more,... but this just prove that you can buy happiness,
if those higher performance from a 3.9 conversion do make you more happy

Quick Reply: MANTHEY 3.9