Review: RSS Solid Suspension Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 06:42 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Review: RSS Solid Suspension Kit

Review: RSS Monoball/Solid Suspension Kit

After a lot of discussion I decided to change all the rubber suspension parts in my 997S to solid pieces by RSS.

The idea is that Porsche uses rubber bushings in its road cars in order to avoid excess noises from metal on metal bushings, but the downside is if you track your car, you are not getting the most out of it.

1. Rubber bushings numb steering feel
2. Rubber bushings do not hold tight tolerance alignments and change under hard driving
3. Steering feedback is effected

RSS makes all parts in house in the USA, and supplies many pro teams with these parts.

RSS Monoball Kit:

1. Solid Lower Control Arm Bushings (Front & Rear)
2. Adjustable Solid Toe Links
3. Solid adjustable Upper Control Arms (Dog Bones)

Install was done By Head tech at RSS: Anthony

I have to say , the parts look beautiful and are made very well.

Road Impressions:

many are worried to do this mod, because they still drive their car on the street and feel that it will add to much noise and vibration. THIS IS NOT THE CASE. The noise is not noticeable at all until you are on a very bump road and unless you are hearing for it, its almost unnoticeable. I was VERY happy about this:

Road Ride:

It vast improved the steering input and feel, like I can feel the road much better and it can be felt better on the wheel, which means you are getting better feedback.

The ride was not adversely effected, and barely noticeable. You will here a little creaking now in then, like when doing u turns, but its really an after thought. If you have the radio on or loud exhaust, its a moot point.

Now for the goods,

Track Impressions:

This is one of THE BEST mods I have done for the track. Turn in is much crisper and precise, you can feel the car much better through fats corners. I can feel when the car is getting closer too the limit now, and feel much more confident on the track.

It really transforms the feel of the car. Porsche 911's have always FELT like a great car and the steering input and feedback is one of the best in the world.

The RSS solid suspension pieces magnify this feeling even more and your steering FELL improves dramatically, Like the car is doing exactly what you want with no wiggle room.

The Added Benefits:

I wanted to try these parts at a track that I go to a to a lot, and with the only change being the RSS solid suspension parts.

I visited Willow Springs Raceway on testing day.

Last time I was there (same tires (Toyo R888), suspension (JRZ), weight (3280) I was doing 1:42 laps.

With the new RSS solid suspension pieces, that car felt better and more solid, I was able to be more confident and carry more speed into turns.

At the end of the day I was turning 1:38 laps.. and improvement of 4 SECONDS!!!!

I was astonished! I think it was that they car felt more solid, so I was able to push it harder. (Better feel = better confidence = faster laps)

I have to say this is hands down one of the best mods I have done to my car. It really tied together all the other suspension mods I have done and now I feel they are working together as a whole.

Another Benefit is that the alignment specs are held in line by the solid pieces so I don't have to get a $400 alignment done as often.

Conclusion:

If any of you track your cars more than a few times a year or are serious about making your car feel better, YOU HAVE TO GET THESE SOLID SUSPENSION PARTS!

Fron now on any other porsche I get will get these solid suspension parts, including my next car which will be a GT3!
Old 03-22-2010, 08:17 PM
rodjac
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mobonic: congratulations on this mod. I had Sharkwerks do the same thing to my GT2 and loved the result. I don't have comparison track data like you do but the mods do raise the confidence level. I also had the PASM disabled and Motons installed front and rear. There is no end to money we can spend on these toys
Old 03-22-2010, 08:21 PM
brim
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a perfect next mod for me...thanks for the post!
Old 03-22-2010, 08:34 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are there any differences (besides color) in the RSS ones and the other ones that are available (TRG, GMG, etc)?

I have always wondered that...
Old 03-22-2010, 09:02 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Its hard to say, as each company tells their own story.

Im very happy with my RSS parts, and knowing that THEY make them in house is a plus!

RSS and GMG both make these parts, and I think you can't go wrong with either one!
Old 03-22-2010, 09:07 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hear you...

I had the TRG ones on my 996-3... do not know who makes them...
Old 03-22-2010, 09:42 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put these same parts on my car and it made a huge difference to the handling response. Mobonic enjoy.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:50 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great review, thanks for taking the time and making the effort to post it!
Old 03-23-2010, 04:26 AM
mobonic
Drifting

No problem guys, just giving back to those who help me.

Rennlist and Renntrack.com are the best sites out there for REAL information!
Old 03-23-2010, 06:28 AM
Md11skipper
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mobonic
Review: RSS Monoball/Solid Suspension Kit

After a lot of discussion I decided to change all the rubber suspension parts in my 997S to solid pieces by RSS.

The idea is that Porsche uses rubber bushings in its road cars in order to avoid excess noises from metal on metal bushings, but the downside is if you track your car, you are not getting the most out of it.

1. Rubber bushings numb steering feel
2. Rubber bushings do not hold tight tolerance alignments and change under hard driving
3. Steering feedback is effected

RSS makes all parts in house in the USA, and supplies many pro teams with these parts.

RSS Monoball Kit:

1. Solid Lower Control Arm Bushings (Front & Rear)
2. Adjustable Solid Toe Links
3. Solid adjustable Upper Control Arms (Dog Bones)

Install was done By Head tech at RSS: Anthony

I have to say , the parts look beautiful and are made very well.

Road Impressions:

many are worried to do this mod, because they still drive their car on the street and feel that it will add to much noise and vibration. THIS IS NOT THE CASE. The noise is not noticeable at all until you are on a very bump road and unless you are hearing for it, its almost unnoticeable. I was VERY happy about this:

Road Ride:

It vast improved the steering input and feel, like I can feel the road much better and it can be felt better on the wheel, which means you are getting better feedback.

The ride was not adversely effected, and barely noticeable. You will here a little creaking now in then, like when doing u turns, but its really an after thought. If you have the radio on or loud exhaust, its a moot point.

Now for the goods,

Track Impressions:

This is one of THE BEST mods I have done for the track. Turn in is much crisper and precise, you can feel the car much better through fats corners. I can feel when the car is getting closer too the limit now, and feel much more confident on the track.

It really transforms the feel of the car. Porsche 911's have always FELT like a great car and the steering input and feedback is one of the best in the world.

The RSS solid suspension pieces magnify this feeling even more and your steering FELL improves dramatically, Like the car is doing exactly what you want with no wiggle room.

The Added Benefits:

I wanted to try these parts at a track that I go to a to a lot, and with the only change being the RSS solid suspension parts.

I visited Willow Springs Raceway on testing day.

Last time I was there (same tires (Toyo R888), suspension (JRZ), weight (3280) I was doing 1:42 laps.

With the new RSS solid suspension pieces, that car felt better and more solid, I was able to be more confident and carry more speed into turns.

At the end of the day I was turning 1:38 laps.. and improvement of 4 SECONDS!!!!

I was astonished! I think it was that they car felt more solid, so I was able to push it harder. (Better feel = better confidence = faster laps)

I have to say this is hands down one of the best mods I have done to my car. It really tied together all the other suspension mods I have done and now I feel they are working together as a whole.

Another Benefit is that the alignment specs are held in line by the solid pieces so I don't have to get a $400 alignment done as often.

Conclusion:

If any of you track your cars more than a few times a year or are serious about making your car feel better, YOU HAVE TO GET THESE SOLID SUSPENSION PARTS!

Fron now on any other porsche I get will get these solid suspension parts, including my next car which will be a GT3!
Great review, thank you! You answered my question I had about road noise. Can you do us a favor and follow up with a review of road noise after lets say about 2000 miles of driving the car?

Thank you in advance
Old 03-24-2010, 02:21 AM
mobonic
Drifting

should not be a difference as metal does no "break in"
Old 03-24-2010, 03:32 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice review Shane. I will install these RSS joint replacement in my RS soon

How much did labor cost to install everything not counting alignment
Old 03-24-2010, 09:35 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu
Nice review Shane. I will install these RSS joint replacement in my RS soon

How much did labor cost to install everything not counting alignment
Or how much time were you billed for on the install?

I have RSS rear toe links and solid adjustable control arms sitting on my bench waiting to go in..... I'm not replacing the bushings...yet.

I'm thinking under 2 hrs for these bolt-on items before the alignment.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:00 PM
summit81
Intermediate

Thanks for the nice info.

Do you drive your RSS/JRZ RS Pro with R888 to the track or trailer it? Is driving to the track with this setup possible? What springs are you using?

Also curious if you used the exact same set of R888 on both days to compare your before/after track times.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:09 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Excellent review!

I did solid mono ball ends on my lower control arms, solid thrust bushinging on my lower control arms and rear toe links.

The car feels better to me on the street with no more road noise than stock. I agree these are excellent mods for those that are sport minded that do track events.

Quick Reply: Review: RSS Solid Suspension Kit