Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow!
Old 03-22-2010, 02:30 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone seen the measurement for headroom? I need 38" w/helmet.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:31 PM
seattleite
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According the the preliminary info, there will be no true manual transmission offered. That should turn quite a few buyers off... particularly GT3 owners.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:27 PM
pcar928fan
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

seattleite,

I doubt the lack of a full manual will turn a single person who can buy one away. That is the direction the world is going, like it or not. It is WAY faster and WAY more accurate than any human is these days. Sure, it is fun to stir the box from time to time, but those days are coming to a rapid end now!

The rocker system for this car is AWESOME too...you can use the paddles on either side to go up OR down! Why has not other manufacturer done this? SO MUCH nicer! That way if you only have one hand on the wheel (like me WHENEVER I drive...I am in a wheelchair and use handcontrols) it does not matter which hand it is and you don't have to switch back and forth! WAY TO GO McLaren!

That Ueno Clinic race car looks AWESOME! They raced a Mc F1 for years...SA-WEET!
Old 03-22-2010, 06:45 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,969 Likes on 2,814 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar928fan
seattleite,

I doubt the lack of a full manual will turn a single person who can buy one away.
I can't prove you're wrong, since I can't afford one. But, I am convinced that there will be potential buyers who will stay away due to the flappy paddles.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:02 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark FM
My thoughts are, how reliable do you really think a totally new car from any manufacture be, let alone McLaren? While it may be a finely designed and engineered car, it will take years to get the engineering and manufacturing bugs under control. Did any of you see the You-Tube of the McLaren from San Francisco burning?

Mark
Could not agree more Mark!

No interest in the first model or two. I have no doubts that I can go out today, start up my 3, go blast all day on the track and drive her home just as strong as when I first lit her up. There are very very few cars that can do that day in and day out. Something to be said for that.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:09 PM
pcar928fan
Nordschleife Master

Grant,

You are quite right...none of us will be able to know the true answer to that question. We can however look at Ferrari and how they are doing with their F1 trans (they offer the regular 6 spd and the F1 remember) and the F1 is almost 90% of what people order.

One thing for sure...they will sell every damn one they can build for the next 5+ years! I assure you reliability and flappy paddle shifters will make no difference, they won't be able to build enough of these if they price them anywhere close to a 458 Ferrari! I just wish I could afford one!

Allegretto, I LOVE your paint scheme! That car is HOT LOOKING!!!
Old 03-25-2010, 06:08 AM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Just thought the Mclaren supporters in this thread would enjoy:
http://speedhunters.com/archive/2010...tion-line.aspx
Old 03-25-2010, 01:33 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pcar928fan
Grant,

You are quite right...none of us will be able to know the true answer to that question. We can however look at Ferrari and how they are doing with their F1 trans (they offer the regular 6 spd and the F1 remember) and the F1 is almost 90% of what people order.

One thing for sure...they will sell every damn one they can build for the next 5+ years! I assure you reliability and flappy paddle shifters will make no difference, they won't be able to build enough of these if they price them anywhere close to a 458 Ferrari! I just wish I could afford one!

Allegretto, I LOVE your paint scheme! That car is HOT LOOKING!!!
Lack of a manual transmission will keep me from buying. New Ferraris (no more manuals after the last run of Californias) are out for me for the same reason.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:42 PM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by enduro911
Just thought the Mclaren supporters in this thread would enjoy:
http://speedhunters.com/archive/2010...tion-line.aspx
The pics of their facilities are stunning! Thanks for the link.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:45 PM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
Lack of a manual transmission will keep me from buying. New Ferraris (no more manuals after the last run of Californias) are out for me for the same reason.
Really? That would really limit a large majority of your future sports car choices. I prefer to do my own shifting too but I don't know if I can say "No new Ferrari's for me".
Old 03-25-2010, 05:26 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritesh
Really? That would really limit a large majority of your future sports car choices. I prefer to do my own shifting too but I don't know if I can say "No new Ferrari's for me".
Well, it all depends how you define "Manual". To ME a manual is a gearbox is one that allows ME to select the gear that I want at any time so that I can exactly control the level of power (torque) that is being put at the wheels (From engine to wheels converted by gearbox).

To ME, the SMGs, DCTs, etc, are still MANUALS but they just do their job with a better, faster and more accurate user interface/control that doesn't require the use of an auxiliary mechanism (that has nothing to do IMO with the driving experience) that needs to be operated by the driver to interrupt the power transmission between engine and gearbox (i.e manually operated Clutch). The "manual" clutch, IMO, is an obsolete user interface that is not at all adequate for the performance of modern cars. My GT2 would be perfect if it had a "pedal clutchless" Manual.

All new interfaces require some adaptation (what about independent braking for left and right or front/rear wheels operated by hand levers like in a Bike? Sure that will make a few rennlisters puke!) and taking out the Clutch pedal is an awesome idea...

The ones guilty about screwing customer perception about the "clutchless" manuals are the marketing boffins who promote these gearboxes as the "new" automatics.... that's why SMG failed in the market while still being a mechanically sound and good performance solution (much lighter than DCT)
Old 03-25-2010, 05:52 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ritesh
Yes, and I know it.
I've not been thrilled with the direction cars, particularly sport cars, have been heading. That's partly the reason I bought the 2008 RS... limited (though still too many) 'driver aids'/electronic nannies, but still basically a real driver's car.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:49 PM
pcar928fan
Nordschleife Master

cgomez, I could not agree with you more. Porsche produced the first PDK transmission in the early '80's to the express purpose of making their 962 (or was it still even the 956?) faster and more accurate (as you point out) than ANY of their race car drivers could shift the car. Now it is so good we can have that too.

For some people unless they are getting a good left leg and right arm work out they just won't be happy. My best friend just tore his left quadracept working out and ask him if he wouldn't rather have an automatic (or PDK, SMG, F1, etc) car right now! OH YEA! He is stuck...he can't go ANYWHERE because he has a manual tranny car (single guy and only one car).

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the McLaren MP4-12C?