Final answer for 2010 RS titanium exhaust setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 04:00 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by E4VLL
Porsche have taken a similar stance in England, as have most other performance car makers.

My understanding is that they (the company) have to prove that the modification could have caused, or contributed to, the problem that you are trying to claim under warranty. The onus would then be on yourself to prove that it hasn't, should they decline to fix the warranty item because of a modification.

While it sounds simple, as with most things litigious, it is often the person with the deepest pockets who wins.

In England, Porsche will also not extend your warranty unless you car is 100% stock - they will even not allow you to extend the warranty if you put a non-oem battery in the car!
I think it has to do more with business rather than fear of aftermarket parts hurting the car. Any company would like their customer use their factory parts instead of throwing money at someone else. My RMS was leaking way before any aftermarket exhaust was installed.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:11 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey guys. I found out some more information about the titanium center muffler and tips. They are NOT made by Akrapovic as some may have suggested in another thread. I have some pictures of the titanium center mufflers and tips found on the GT3 R as shown below. They are very crude and looks like pre-production mark up at best.

Please show us some production titanium center muffler and tips for comparison if anyone had a chance to take off your 2010 RS rear bumper

Old 04-03-2010, 12:36 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Sorry for the late response here but I figured since mikymu started this nice discussion we should at least finish it heh Pardon me for the guys that already know this but I figured we'd confirm once and for-all exactly what's under there. The same factory headers/cats and side mufflers as on the 2010 GT3. No titanium there. The only titanium as you can see is the center muffler and the tips as well. So no big/massive weight savings there (more on this in a mo').

Tips are pretty nice looking though:

How light are they?

Compared to the factory 2010 GT3 tips:

Here's our larger diameter stainless steel SharkWerks tips by comparison:

Showing that the 2010 GT3RS tips have a smaller diameter than the SharkWerks tips:

And installed for show...

They usually come in black but we've had a few requests so for a few bucks less you can have them in raw stainless too if you want...

Back to the center muffler. Here's a factory 2010 997GT3 muffler:

Here's the Titanium RS muffler:

And yes you knew it was coming... here's the SharkWerks bypass exhaust in stainless steel:

For those of you that already own our exhaust (thank you!) and awaiting your new RS go ahead and install it on your new RS as well. Even though it's not made from Ti, our piece is still about half the weight anyways. We've actually had 4 other 2010 GT3RS owners already install our exhaust on their car's. So if you want it to be louder and dare I say it (?) even lighter... you can.

For those that want the track set up... off comes the bumper:

Off comes the side muffler and remember this is X2:

Here's the SharkWerks Track Exhaust ready to be installed in place and on the scales...

And installed on the car with the bumper back on:

For those of you doing the math- you can still save a total of about 45 pounds off of the bum of the car.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:45 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the all the data, Alex.

What do the stock 997.1 tips and the Tubi titanium tips that you have weigh?
Old 04-03-2010, 04:17 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

i think the best is just to call alex and get his track pipe. he even provide the leaves.
it's good stuff.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:13 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Alex for taking the time to answer my question. It's better to use your center muffler bypass and still shave more than 5 lbs compare with RS titanium center mufflers
Old 04-04-2010, 12:50 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Great stuff. Thanks for posting.

Spoke to C2 Design in Tampa today about how much I liked my sharky bypass, but yet, I thnki Ti center muffler is cool. I think they are installing a sharky fire extinguisher for me....

My neighbors hate me at 11 on a scale of 1-10 with a permanently unplugged sharky bypass in my 997 GT3.

How much will they hate me if I keep the titanium center exhaust, but remove the 2 giant side mufflers of my '10RS?

In other words, how big is the difference? Seems like the side mufflers keep things lighter and cooler?
Old 04-04-2010, 02:28 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Great stuff. Thanks for posting.

Spoke to C2 Design in Tampa today about how much I liked my sharky bypass, but yet, I thnki Ti center muffler is cool. I think they are installing a sharky fire extinguisher for me....

My neighbors hate me at 11 on a scale of 1-10 with a permanently unplugged sharky bypass in my 997 GT3.

How much will they hate me if I keep the titanium center exhaust, but remove the 2 giant side mufflers of my '10RS?

In other words, how big is the difference? Seems like the side mufflers keep things lighter and cooler?
wow, your RS will be 5X louder without side mufflers. It will be as loud as FVD or Akrapovic race exhaust with center muffler
Old 04-04-2010, 10:39 AM
atleung
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do it please. Please run before and after dynos.
Old 04-04-2010, 11:23 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

wow, your RS will be 5X louder without side mufflers. It will be as loud as FVD or Akrapovic race exhaust with center muffler
I don't mind loud, but it is my daily driver, so I have to start it every morning. The space between garage and fence is nice and echoy..
So.. The final muffler does not muffle much sound? I have not herad a car with the final muffler, but without the 2 side mufflers.. Only the other way around.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:11 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

I don't mind loud, but it is my daily driver, so I have to start it every morning. The space between garage and fence is nice and echoy..
So.. The final muffler does not muffle much sound? I have not herad a car with the final muffler, but without the 2 side mufflers.. Only the other way around.
So your 2010 GT3RS is your dailey driver? WOW you really are my kind of person!
Old 04-04-2010, 12:16 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Well, I borrow the company dually and my wife's car sometimes, and I only drive it 20 miles to work, where I park it inside ;-). It wakes you up with a bigger jolt then coffee ;-)
Old 04-04-2010, 04:30 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

I close my garage door when I have to fire up my RS for track as not to wake up my neighbor.

Yeah, the side mufflers does most of the job. It's pretty loud without them even with center mufflers. Here are couple videos of the Akrapovic race titanium exhaust with center muffler only.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8Bae...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwgM7aRFiEI
Old 04-08-2010, 02:14 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu
Thanks Alex for taking the time to answer my question. It's better to use your center muffler bypass and still shave more than 5 lbs compare with RS titanium center mufflers
My pleasure mate... and it would seem so I guess it's lighter and louder Already got 5 new RS' with it on

Quick Reply: Final answer for 2010 RS titanium exhaust setup