Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

ZR-1 at the track

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 02:18 AM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark FM
I owned a 2009 ZR-1 - fast, scary fast with little traction! You could break the rear end loose in pretty much any gear!!! Interior is not great, but not really that bad either. It is a much bigger car than a GT-3 and did not feel as balanced. The visibility out of the car is horrible! I just never warmed up to the smell of resin either. I sold the car before I killed myself with it!!! I think I found my limit of the phrase "too much horsepower"!!!!!!

Mark
Had the exact same sensory experience with my '06 Z06.

Sold mine at 1200 miles.

They're fast but they're not fine machines.

To each their own.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:07 AM
pcar928fan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
Erik Strelnieks who has won nationals and Pro Solo in a C5 Z06 is one of the top 5 Corvette drivers in the US.
He is my neighbor! SUPER FAST! Super nice guy too! ER doctor as well, so he is not only talented behind the wheel he is SMART! His wife can drive the freakin' wheels off a race car too btw! I think she is a 6 or 7 time national SCCA women's champ! They don't have a Vette anymore (unless they moved one in and I missed it), they have a WICKED 3 rotor RX7 and raced a Mini a fair bit as well as a 135 BMW...
Old 03-25-2010, 03:16 AM
pcar928fan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by GTEE3
I saw a Z06 break into 3 pieces after a crash in the Kink at Rd America...and look inside the doors of these cars-nothing there...I have also seen plastic panels fly off of these cars at the track...no thanks, I won't do student instruction in them.
I never instructed in Vettes or Vipers because the owners don't have enough sense to be safe. They either want to drag race between corners which is safe but stupid...if you want to do that go to a drag strip; or they are completely out of control and the car is sliding around and it is all they can do to hold on to it and keep it on the track. I have had my share of problems like that with a few 928 guys too! LOL!

I do like the 997 and ALL its variants these days, I have to say! You guys have the best of the best here on this board though!
Old 03-25-2010, 04:02 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

All current Corvettes are great performers and are faster than their equivalent Porsche models on a track. But on the street/open road the 911 is more fun. The Vettes do not dance.

If one is after all-out performance on the ragged edge the Vette is a great buy. For precise controlled dynamics in a fluidic performance the 911 is the car to own. I think though that this thinking is old school. New drivers may not care.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:28 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ADias
All current Corvettes are great performers and are faster than their equivalent Porsche models on a track. But on the street/open road the 911 is more fun. The Vettes do not dance.

If one is after all-out performance on the ragged edge the Vette is a great buy. For precise controlled dynamics in a fluidic performance the 911 is the car to own. I think though that this thinking is old school. New drivers may not care.
As much as I dislike it for what it means to 'driving', I'm afraid the GT-R is the future - let the computers control everything. It makes insurance companies, the Government and manufacturers all happier, and new school enthusiasts don't seem to mind.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:56 PM
80shilling
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
As much as I dislike it for what it means to 'driving', I'm afraid the GT-R is the future - let the computers control everything. It makes insurance companies, the Government and manufacturers all happier, and new school enthusiasts don't seem to mind.
It may be the future, but I don't like what it is going to do to the driver's skill in controlling a Car... If I had my way, everyone would HAVE to complete an advanced Shifter Kart School before being allowed on the track in a full sized Car Once you learn to control one of THOSE evil little beasts, you have by default got a basic level of skill in Car control.. I used to race Shifters and still jump in one a couple of times a year just to remind myself what it's all about....
Old 03-26-2010, 07:00 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts

Good gawd. Vettes are fast cars. Period. We need to accept that. If you are on the track, plastic and crummy seats don't belie their impressive track times.

Now, lets get to the bottom line. Anyone that can afford a GT3 can more than afford one ZR1 and about 2 Z06's. We choose not too. I owned 2 Z06 Corvettes, C5's, and test drove the C6's but I 'm sorry, they just don't compare overall. It's about more than just subjective performance criteria. I am not a professional racer.......... but professionally speaking, Porsche GT3's won the ALMS last year. The sensory experience I feel when I drive my Porsche on the road or track more than compensates for any minor differences in track times that are posted by professional drivers. I could also care less about 0-60 or 1/4 mile times. In almost any circumstance on the track where we use our cars it boils down to drivers difference, not horsepower, between real world DE/track times.

To all Vette owners....... Respect!

I'll keeep my GT3 though, thank you very much.

Quick Reply: ZR-1 at the track