Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

ZR-1 at the track

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 08:14 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ZR-1 at the track

A friend of mine had his 2010 ZR-1 out today. In the hands of the right guy it is a fast car. Chevy sent him to SpringHill for a driving school to learn the car.

Do not know if I would buy one but it does sound nice and it does go fast.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:29 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

For sure faster around most tracks. Not faster on the street. And absolute **** interior for a car that price. Sadly I lost my fascination for Corvettes back in the 80s when my aunt and uncle had a 77 Cal Vette with popup headlights.

Would be more than happy to own a classic; something along the lines of a split window or 57.

Don't forget the latest car and driver where the newest TT Porsche did a sub 3 second 0-60. Sure there are plenty a bow-tie boys who don't believe and are still calling "bull****".
Old 03-15-2010, 10:03 PM
deutschmick
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 81 Posts

Read the above test. AWD and launch control/PDK are bound to help.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:15 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Having driven a ZR1, I was not impressed. Sure it has plenty of torque and HP to keep the rear tires spinning. Unfortunatley, it has lost some of the sweetness of the Z06. It rides a lot rougher and the front end doesn't want to turn in. It is impossible to keep the tires planted when applying power in low speed corners. Quite simply, I felt like I was always fighting the car. The best way to describe it is a ZR1 is a Corvette that drives like a Viper. The Z06 on the other hand has only some mild ride/handling issues, but you direct the front end much easier. The back end is a lot more planted.

I read that they are going to have a ZR1/Z06 hybrid Vette next year with a "Z07" chassis package. The Z07 is basically the wheels, tires, Brembo brakes, some of the carbon bits and a version of the sport magnetic ride suspension from the ZR1 on a Z06. If this is true, it could be the best Vette ever made if they don't screw up the suspension tuning. If they could finally ditch the archaic leaf spings for coilovers this could be a world class sports car.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:59 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

The ZR1 beat both the 2010 Turbo and the 08 GT2 at the track (Laguna) in some recent mags...that is if you believe the mags and 1 was Excellence a Porsche mag!

I like the overall body style of the current Vette. It does feel cheaper inside than a Carrera style of Porsche but the track performance is unreal.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:26 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,645 Likes on 763 Posts

I think the Corvettes look great and they are fast.

Even a RegularZ06 or base Corvette with tires and brakes is faster than a GT3.
But for how long will it last without problems?
Plus every time I instruct in one, I think it all feels and smells wrong from where I sit. That's fine in a 45K Corvette, even in a 70K Z06, but above that.... Great cars for lap time though...
Old 03-15-2010, 11:29 PM
Mark FM
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

I owned a 2009 ZR-1 - fast, scary fast with little traction! You could break the rear end loose in pretty much any gear!!! Interior is not great, but not really that bad either. It is a much bigger car than a GT-3 and did not feel as balanced. The visibility out of the car is horrible! I just never warmed up to the smell of resin either. I sold the car before I killed myself with it!!! I think I found my limit of the phrase "too much horsepower"!!!!!!

Mark
Old 03-15-2010, 11:36 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

I always thought corvette's are people with small *****'s. I'm Asian my pecker is small- I don't want to glorify that if I don't have to. Being said- Z06(ESP the new ones) are a beast at the track and the drivers have bigger ***** then me. Fk I'm so Asian. Mike
Old 03-16-2010, 12:39 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Originally Posted by mdrums
The ZR1 beat both the 2010 Turbo and the 08 GT2 at the track (Laguna) in some recent mags...that is if you believe the mags and 1 was Excellence a Porsche mag!

I like the overall body style of the current Vette. It does feel cheaper inside than a Carrera style of Porsche but the track performance is unreal.
The other side is look at Nurburgring, Hockenheim and Brands Hatch times. Despite having 200 more hp, almost twice the torque, wider wheels/tires and even bigger brakes the mighty ZR1 was only able to go 2 seconds faster than a 10' GT3 and 5 seconds slower than a GT2 on the Nurburgring. It could not better a GT2 on either Brands Hatch or Hockenheim. On the Nurburgring, it could only go faster than a 10' GT3 in just 2 of the 5 zones. Yes, if you can find a track with long enough straights and broad corners and it will put the numbers down. On anything tighter, it will be very disappointing from the driver's seat. Please, don't take my word for it. I recommend for anyone who is curous to find one to test drive it like I did. The C6 Z06 was significantly slower than a GT3 on all these same tracks.

One last this to consider if anyone mistakenly thinks that a C6 Z06 is anywhere near the car of even a 997.1 GT3 (much more a GT2 or 997.2 GT3), is to look at the SCCA. At the end of last year, the SCCA made a change to allow both the C5 Z06 and 500hp/8.3l Vipers to run in SS (Super Stock) in Solo competition. At the same time the Z06 and Vipers were requested to be allowed to run in stock classes, the 997 GT3 was also requested to compete in the same classes. These cars were previously considered too fast for stock classes. What changed was in 2008 they allowed the 996 GT3 to compete in SS against the more power C5 Z06 and C6 Z51. The 996 GT3 won nationals its first year it was allowed to compete. The Viper and newer Z06 were were moved in due to what was perceived as an unfair advantage of the 996 GT3 by the Solo Executive Committee (SEC).

In January, the SEC met and made a ruling on the 997 GT3 with the complete board present (Tina Reeves, Dave Feighner, Steve Wynveen, Erik Strelnieks, Bryan Nemy, Mike Simanyi, Steve Hudson, Lisa Noble, Bob Lybarger, Dick Patullo, Doug Gill, Nancy Downing, and Brian Harmer). Anybody who knows these names knows that several of these people are top Corvette drivers. Erik Strelnieks who has won nationals and Pro Solo in a C5 Z06 is one of the top 5 Corvette drivers in the US. Waying in comments from both sides and even Chevy's head of Corvette Engineering John Heinricy commenting in on this topic, here was the final ruling as publish in January in Sports Car Magazine (2 months after the C6 Z06 and Viper were moved in):

NOT RECOMMENDED
- Stock: Classify Porsche 997 GT3 (ref. 09-724) Comment: The 996 GT3 has demonstrated parity with the top of the SS class, and the 997 is seen as having significant advantages beyond the 996.
Yes, the top Corvette drivers and the Corvette head of development freely admit that a 505 hp 7.0L Corvette is inferior to a 415 hp 3.6L 911. True!

Last edited by 10 GT3; 03-16-2010 at 01:04 AM.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:40 AM
brim
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I should have come out today, would have been great to see how it performed and got some much needed track time in. I'm sure the ZR-1 is super fast, but like you said, only in the hands of those who are proficient at driving such a beast. Glad you guys had fun out there today!
Old 03-16-2010, 12:55 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums

The GT2 was on stock R-comps and the ZR1 on street tires, to boot!

Our cars our great, but there is ALWAYS going to be something faster. Don't lose sleep over it. 10GT3 - a guy who's in the market for a Porsche is not going to buy a Chevy and vice versa.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:58 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

id prefer a Z06.
the ZR-1 is super charged and is more a grand tourer.....
(i had a 77' as my first vette in high school... dolled it up with a full vette' brakes and acc suspension kit. true story)

id take the pepsi challenge with my RS on monoballs/alignment against a stock ZR-1......
Old 03-16-2010, 01:03 AM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 287 Likes on 140 Posts
Default 2010 Z06 carbon edition.

For the truly hard-core Corvette fanatic who likes to spend weekends thrashing his or her car at the track, there is only one Corvette worthy of consideration: the Z06. However, thanks to the ZR1, the lightweight, normally aspirated 7.0-liter coupe is no longer the absolute quickest Vette, but it is felt to have the most responsive handling. What it doesn't have is the uber-cool carbon-ceramic brakes, carbon-fiber body panels and magnetic ride active damping system of its supercharged sibling. That can now be changed to past tense with the birth of the Z06 Carbon edition announced today by General Motors.

The Z06 Carbon was created to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the first appearance of the Corvette at the 24 Hours of Le Mans when John Fitch and Briggs Cunningham won their class and finished eighth overall. The Carbon edition is essentially a Z06 with a ZR1 chassis and some of the carbon skin. When production starts this fall, only 500 examples will be made and they will only come in two colors, Inferno Orange and Supersonic Blue. All examples get black-painted wheels and a black interior upholstered in leather and suede.

One element unique to the Z06 Carbon is its hood. The profile of the new carbon fiber hood is identical to that on the ZR1 but without a transparent window. That makes it the lightest hood ever on a Corvette and, according to chief engineer Tadge Juechter, it truly is a featherweight. ZR1 owners looking to swap out their hoods will be disappointed to learn that the Carbon hood will not fit their cars. Because of the absent window, the Z06 hood has different structure underneath that won't clear the ZR1 engine's intercooler.

The splitter, rocker extensions and roof of the Carbon are painted black instead of the super-expensive clear-coat used on the ZR1. The headlamp pockets and wheels are also painted a glossy black giving the Carbon a decidedly sinister appearance, particularly with the steel blue paint combination.
ccording to Juechter, the upgraded suspension and brakes give the Z06 a real boost on the track too. Even with the same powertrain, the Corvette circulates both Laguna Seca and the Milford Road Course three seconds a lap faster than a 2010 Z06. The addition of the magnetic ride damping system should also make the Z06 Carbon more livable on the road as well.

For those who don't manage to get one of the 500 Carbon editions, most of the good bits will be available as part of two option packages available for 2011 models. The Z07 package provides all the mechanical goodness of the Brembo brake system, wheels and tires and the MR suspension. The carbon fiber package includes the splitter, sill extensions and rear lip spoiler. Unfortunately, the hood is only available on the 500 limited edition cars. The Carbon and new option packages go on sale in late summer at prices that will be announced closer to launch date, so stay tuned.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:39 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,592 Likes on 831 Posts

The ZR1 is an astoundingly capable car on track with an incredible supple suspension. A client of mine with a Cup car brought one to the track recently, and I was able to take him for some very hot laps in it. WOW! I would question the driving skills of those who claim it rides rough & makes it hard to put down the power.

It is very different than the GT3, so you guys with GT3's needn't act so insecure. That said, though, it's Nordschleife time is no BS. That car is all that.

It also has build quality that is as good as anything I have ever seen.

Its weak link is its seats. Period.

As for the ZR1-Viper "comparison"...well, that is not really valid IMO. The Viper is more akin to the current Z06 than the ZR1 on track....and how many people here have driven a current Viper on track recently? They are also incredibly competent cars totally unlike their predecessors.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 03-16-2010, 10:58 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

^ the turbo Panamera was only 2 seconds behind the GT3 at the ring

Quick Reply: ZR-1 at the track