Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Brembo Racing Rotors to Replace PCCBs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 03:03 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 387 Likes on 196 Posts
Default Brembo Racing Rotors to Replace PCCBs?

I reckon I've had my share of donkey mistakes at the track and am fearful that, over time, I'll eventually make that one visit to the gravel pit that'll damage my PCCBs for good. So I've been researching various track-rotor replacements and came across the following from Brembo:

(Image courtesy of Sharkwerks)

Specs are made to be a direct bolt-on for Gen 1 GT3/RS's--380/34 fronts and 350/28 rears. Reuses existing PCCB calipers and weighs a lil lighter than OEM steel rotors (which are still almost 8 pounds heavier than the PCCBs for each corner).

Has anyone had experience with these, or better yet, tracked aggressively with them? Would love to hear a first-hand account and a comparison with stock ceramics...

In swapping out my PCCBs, I'm hoping to (1) benefit from a wider range of pads choices and (2) not incur undue unsprung+rotational weight penalty.

I'm not preferential to any particular brand/solution at this point am open to suggestions. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-15-2010, 11:42 AM
Capt. Slow
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am doing the exact same thing for the exact same reasons on my Boxster. The only difference is that I am going to use Girodiscs and the fronts on mine are 350X34 rather than the new GT3's 380X34. You can buy a set of four (from Craig at Rennstore) for half the price of one new PCCB. Plus a lot of pad choices. And if you manage to wear them out, you only need to buy the rotor, not the hat, so the price for that is half again.

At the moment, however, they are on the living room floor (no wife to fuss about that!) awaiting installation so I can't report on their performance yet.

PCCB replacement costs give me nightmares...

- Mark
Old 03-16-2010, 12:30 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 387 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt. Slow
The only difference is that I am going to use Girodiscs and the fronts on mine are 350X34 rather than the new GT3's 380X34. You can buy a set of four (from Craig at Rennstore) for half the price of one new PCCB. Plus a lot of pad choices.
So I finally bit the bullet and ordered a set of Brembos... What you mentioned about pad choices is so true--with PCCBs the choice is basically porsche green or porsche green

Can't wait to get them installed and try them out at the next track event!!
Old 03-16-2010, 08:38 AM
RS LOVER
Intermediate

You will be very happy with these brembos. All the competitors in the Australian Carrera Cup series were using them and no problems at all. I have used them with pagid RS14's and also with Pagid RS29's.
Fantastic pedal pressure and never any fade. The pedal is easy to modulate as well.
The only negative with these pads on a street car is that the pedal is so high under street braking that it makes heel and toeing a little dificult, but on the the track it is perfect.
Hope this helps.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:06 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had them on my heavily tracked 996-3 and really liked them with rs29 pads
I think they would be more popular if their pricing was realistic

I do not mind paying a premium for brembo but compared to giro disc, stop tech, performance friction etc, they are significantly more.

I know that brembo has it's own foundry and has complete control of theil metal supply etc... I know it is top quality stuff but I have a hard time justifying the price difference this time around
Old 03-16-2010, 11:49 AM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
I had them on my heavily tracked 996-3 and really liked them with rs29 pads. I think they would be more popular if their pricing was realistic

I do not mind paying a premium for brembo but compared to giro disc, stop tech, performance friction etc, they are significantly more.

I know that brembo has it's own foundry and has complete control of their metal supply etc... I know it is top quality stuff but I have a hard time justifying the price difference this time around
PJS, I saw your old post (link) about these rotors on your awesome dark blue 996 GT3 with all the goodies. What I recall is that you needed adapter (made by Brembo) in the rear because you have the red calipers. I am not sure if these Brembo rotors retain parking brake in the back. If they do, is there a way I can please get part numbers of these rotors for 996 GT3. Thank you.

P.S. Congrats on finding the exact RS you set out to search. Sweet ride and can't wait to see how you are going to kick up a few more notches!

Last edited by ///Mous3; 03-16-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:30 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

^ yes they are parking brake compatible and I do not want anyone to read my post the wrong way... the rotors are great... light, work well, etc... they did start cracking after about 5 track days but acceptable cracking. I ran them with RS29 pads on the track and street, but very limited street driing (less than 100 miles)

As for the part numbers...
go here and click on "TYPE III" replacement rotors
http://www.racetechnologies.com/arti...placementDiscs
if that does not work just call them...

here is a shot of my former car
Old 03-16-2010, 12:37 PM
GMP - Matthew
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brembo is one of very few who puts their product on display at the track via race teams. No one makes better product. Keep us posted after your first event with them.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:12 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Matt -- I agree... would you say it is worth double the price, in some cases, compared to their competition?

If so, besides having their own foundry and control over their metal supply, what other reason/s would you list?

Please do not read this the wrong way, I am not challenging you or brembo... I am conflicted about "saving money" on brake parts in the first place and having had these rotors on my previous car, I should just sack up and get them... but roughly double the price is hard to swallow for a lapper imho...

Again, not starting a war, just asking questions...
Old 03-16-2010, 01:58 PM
GMP - Matthew
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You bring up very good points. I happen to meet Gary from Race Technologies (importer for Brembo) in person at APR's distributor conference a couple weekends ago and I asked him that very question. His answer was that Brembo's pricing directly reflects their quality for starters. Now he didn't say this and probably will never use it as an excuse but GMP imports several products from Germany and I can also say that the exchange rate does not help. Combine that with the cost of getting the kits from Italy to the states. Also each rotor is assembled by hand here in the states as well. Most brands put their kits together and box them up and sit on the shelf till their sold. Not only do they control their metal supply but they are like Snapple Ice Tea, their discs are made from the best stuff on earth lol. You might pay twice as much but they should last atleast twice as long if not longer than their competition. You can also find their big brake kits on some of the top level racing teams as well. A place where you probably won't find their competitiors products at except at local DE events. Brembo is also the largest aftermarket brand in the world, so with that said I don't think they go there by making average products and charging twice as much. I hope some of this information was helpful. If your interested in some Brembo replacement discs feel free to contact me directly. My info is below.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:57 AM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Thumbs up ... thanks man!

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
here is a shot of my former car
Is that the famous ASP exhaust?

PJS, thank you for the info on the rotors! I will call them because the list shows 2 columns; Drilled and Slotted. I have never seen Drilled Type III rotors before. The heading also says Gran Turismo. Also, hope my yellow calipers at the back requires no adapter for the 380x28 rotors.

Once again; thank you PJS!
Old 03-17-2010, 01:55 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GMP - Matthew
You bring up very good points. I happen to meet Gary from Race Technologies (importer for Brembo) in person at APR's distributor conference a couple weekends ago and I asked him that very question. His answer was that Brembo's pricing directly reflects their quality for starters. Now he didn't say this and probably will never use it as an excuse but GMP imports several products from Germany and I can also say that the exchange rate does not help. Combine that with the cost of getting the kits from Italy to the states. Also each rotor is assembled by hand here in the states as well. Most brands put their kits together and box them up and sit on the shelf till their sold. Not only do they control their metal supply but they are like Snapple Ice Tea, their discs are made from the best stuff on earth lol. You might pay twice as much but they should last atleast twice as long if not longer than their competition. You can also find their big brake kits on some of the top level racing teams as well. A place where you probably won't find their competitiors products at except at local DE events. Brembo is also the largest aftermarket brand in the world, so with that said I don't think they go there by making average products and charging twice as much. I hope some of this information was helpful. If your interested in some Brembo replacement discs feel free to contact me directly. My info is below.
Thank you for your response and I get it... I whole heartedly agree they are the best, just not sure they are the best value... and by value I do not mean the cheapest... I sold my car that had them before I wore a set out so I cannot comment on longevity... If they last twice as long as giro disc, stop tech, PFC etc then by all means they are worth the price... I just do not believe that. As such, there are so many variables to consider, that I must do my own comparison to be accurate in terms of their actual longevity.

I cannot argue with their pitch on "ingredients" and have heard the same sales pitch from a race tech rep at a local tech event...

I am just curious if for aggressive de driver doing 15-20 track days per year with an average of 3-4 hours of track time per day, if the extra price is worth it.

Thank you for taking the time to respond and clearly I bought them once and if my bank account was not bleeding from my recent RS purchase I would likely not give this a second thought... but it is what it is...

I may try the PFC this time around -- I have not heard a bad thing about them and Rennstore is aiming to get a full set for a 997.1 RS PCCB for less than $3500...

I have never heard/read a bad thing about the giro discs either except from a brembo rep and they are roughly $2600 for a full set IIRC.

Anyway -- I will report back what I decide and update along the way...

thanks again
Old 03-17-2010, 01:58 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ///Mous3
Is that the famous ASP exhaust?

PJS, thank you for the info on the rotors! I will call them because the list shows 2 columns; Drilled and Slotted. I have never seen Drilled Type III rotors before. The heading also says Gran Turismo. Also, hope my yellow calipers at the back requires no adapter for the 380x28 rotors.

Once again; thank you PJS!
That is the famous ASP exhaust
I have never seen drilled type 3 either..
no problem at all

some more exhaust shots for you

nasty stuff
Old 03-17-2010, 02:57 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,887 Likes on 2,408 Posts

brembo makes some very good stuff, but they also make some low end kits.
AP has some great kits as well as does stop tech (maybe not so much for porsches, but they KNOW brakes) and also PFC.

but unless someone is footing the bills (like pro teams) or i am getting to the last .0001 second for a big pay chk, i much rather stay with slotted rotors. cheap, heavy, great stopping power and last a long time. NO brembo, ap, etc out last them (the big names are just lighter).

i never like to use things that pro's use. it means nothing. they either are sponsored or paid. we aren't. i race bicycles. i have friends talking about what pro's are riding blah blah. well. most pro's have 3% body fat...... get the picture?
Old 03-17-2010, 11:59 AM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Agree with you, Mooty.. I think that's PJS' point.. "best value" is what most of us seek..

What brand of slotted rotors are you talking about?

Originally Posted by mooty

but unless someone is footing the bills (like pro teams) or i am getting to the last .0001 second for a big pay chk, i much rather stay with slotted rotors. cheap, heavy, great stopping power and last a long time. NO brembo, ap, etc out last them (the big names are just lighter).

Quick Reply: Brembo Racing Rotors to Replace PCCBs?