Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 / RS Engine Break-in Thread?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 08:21 AM
E4VLL
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question GT3 / RS Engine Break-in Thread?

There was a great engine break-in thread on here - where some guys with knowledge of breaking in race and street engines commented on the best way; try as I might, I cannot find the thread.

Can anyone point me in the direction of that thread?

TIA
Old 03-12-2010, 08:59 AM
IPguy
Three Wheelin'

I cannot, but my 2 cents, drive it like you stole it (after at proper operating temp of course).
Old 03-12-2010, 09:16 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

this may help....

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...-onvesl-5.html
Old 03-12-2010, 09:52 AM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Always when car is warmed up....

Drive the first 2-300 miles easy, varying RPM's of course staying under 5k or so
After that, drive all over the rev range. Have fun!
Old 03-12-2010, 10:04 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Everything you need to know is covered in the Owner's Manual.

Only addition, I'd recommend, is do an early oil change at about the 1,000 mile mark.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:46 PM
E4VLL
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911rox
That is the one! Thank you.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:49 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O

Only addition, I'd recommend, is do an early oil change at about the 1,000 mile mark.
Oil change at 1000 mi not necessary at all as these engines are run on the dyno for the initial break in.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:23 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by malmasri
Oil change at 1000 mi not necessary at all as these engines are run on the dyno for the initial break in.
Word from some who've visited the factory recently (within the last year or so) is engines no longer run in.

Even if they are, the initial run in does not see all the stuff a new engine can shed into the oil shed.

I can post pics if you want of the oil poured from my 08 Cayman S (bought new in April of last year) oil filter housing after just 750 miles. Full of very tiny metal bits. Sure the filter caught them which is why they were in the filter housing oil and not in the sump oil.

Still an early oil change is not a waste. I highly recommend it. 750 miles. 1000 miles. Take you pick. Then another change at the "end" of break in. (BTW, field and lab testing has found break in continues for thousands of miles after the stated "break in" period over.)

This way when one starts to open the engine up, hit higher revs, subject the engine to more loads, higher heat loads, he does so with the engine oil fresh and clean.

Then what I recommend is at 5000 miles (3000 miles after oil change at end of break in) change the oil again. And then for me what I am happy doing is changing the oil every 5K miles thereafter.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:58 PM
timothyli
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Word from some who've visited the factory recently (within the last year or so) is engines no longer run in.

Even if they are, the initial run in does not see all the stuff a new engine can shed into the oil shed.

I can post pics if you want of the oil poured from my 08 Cayman S (bought new in April of last year) oil filter housing after just 750 miles. Full of very tiny metal bits. Sure the filter caught them which is why they were in the filter housing oil and not in the sump oil.

Still an early oil change is not a waste. I highly recommend it. 750 miles. 1000 miles. Take you pick. Then another change at the "end" of break in. (BTW, field and lab testing has found break in continues for thousands of miles after the stated "break in" period over.)

This way when one starts to open the engine up, hit higher revs, subject the engine to more loads, higher heat loads, he does so with the engine oil fresh and clean.

Then what I recommend is at 5000 miles (3000 miles after oil change at end of break in) change the oil again. And then for me what I am happy doing is changing the oil every 5K miles thereafter.

Sincerely,

Macster.
I totally agree!
Old 03-13-2010, 05:52 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster

Sincerely,

Macster.
Agreed, if its a keeper, the added care is warranted...
Old 03-13-2010, 07:43 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

I will change all oils at +/- 500 miles, take it to the track and change all oils again. Then repeat every 1500 miles and or 6 track days.. It makes me feel good.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:05 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

The real key when breaking in an engine properly is to make sure that you get a good heat cycle on it- drive it up to temp for a while and let it cool properly overnight- the first few heat cycles help seat all the rings and stuff so they make their proper compression for as long as possible. also- DO NOT LUG the engine!!! rev it up.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:24 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O

+1 on Owner's Manual for most owners

A problem I see is many people only ask about the engine break-in period. There are other systems on the car that need a proper break in either by the Owner's Manual or through a proper accelerated process such as what can be done for brake pads and disks. One of the forgotten systems is the driver, who needs to get accustomed to this high performance automobile.

Macster;

I have been to Zuffenhausen many times and you are correct the factory testing process continues to change. I think Porsche AG is striving to lower costs, reduce pollution, and still provide a quality product.

In 2007 Porsche AG did the following for 997 GT3, GT3 RS, and Turbo models

- Engine Dynamometer Station total process time was shortened to 36 minutes. They placed pre heated oil in the engine and then ran it on the dynamometer for about 15 minutes. They measured, among other items, the maximum power and torque. Over the years I got different answers on whether or not the test run oil stayed in the engine or was replaced by new oil. In 2007 I was told they changed the oil after the dyno run.

- road test replaced by indoor controlled environment road tests

Other engines.
- checked by turning crankshaft with external driver rather than running on the dyno, maybe all are done that way today

Last edited by enthusiast; 03-16-2010 at 10:22 PM. Reason: more details
Old 03-15-2010, 12:22 AM
DavidNR
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Again here we go...

Here is how it done
Old 03-15-2010, 02:10 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

^ read that before.
that's how i do it.

Quick Reply: GT3 / RS Engine Break-in Thread?