Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 / RS Engine Break-in Thread?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 10:55 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

I can't wait to break it in.. My dealer is 4 hours driving from home, so it should be broken in when I get home ;-)
Old 03-15-2010, 04:07 PM
andrew2008
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DavidNR
Again here we go...

Here is how it done

Sounds like this needs to be done very early:

> There's a very small window of opportunity to get the rings to seal
> really well ... the first 20 miles !!
>
> If the rings aren't forced against the walls soon enough, they'll use
> up the roughness before they fully seat. Once that happens there is no
> solution but to re hone the cylinders, install new rings and start over
> again.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:40 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Just got my May '10 Excellence, and Bruce Anderson in Tech Notes (pg 44) sez. on recommendation of Porsche Factory Customer Service Rep..."break the car in like you were going to drive it".
"The golden rule is: the harder you push the motor after an easy 300-500 mi. the faster break-in will be completed.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:48 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 454 Posts

Not sure where I read it but this was for rebuilt engine. Crank and high idle 2000rpm plus for a couple of minutes. Then take it to your local AutoX and have at it. or some semblance there of.

Peter
Old 03-15-2010, 05:31 PM
tshih
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Question I have about the motoman break-in and not using synthetic oil part is: how does warming the oil up before having at the engine conforms to "most breakin occurs during the first 20 miles driven". I suppose gentle driving the first 5 miles will lead to proper warmup and then driving the next 15 miles hard will seat the rings. Then I am hesitant to change the Mobil 1 OEM fill to regular oil for the first few break in miles. The factory has tested and developed the correct oil for their engines and give a reasonable set of instructions for gentle breakin to be followed.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:01 PM
OPEC
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget to make sure your brakes are seated properly too, especially the carbon-ceramics.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:32 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidNR
Again here we go...

Here is how it done
Interesting however...

So with the Porsche AG factory engine dynamometer run, then the indoors road test (used to be road test on public roads), and finally delivery idle time/miles the engine is already past the point where the tech article begins. Now we are back to a proper warm up and following the manual. Maybe Porsche AG knew what they are doing with 2008 and previous year GT2, GT3, and Turbo engines and got us off to a good engine break-in!

If they don't dyno any engines now is their new process a good enough start? That is what you should get information on, the current run in process at the factory.

Last edited by enthusiast; 03-20-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:05 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did my first DE with the GT3 and started the weekend with about 800 miles on the car. Although both of my local dealers told me not to be conservative, I decided to keep the revs down in the 6-7K range only revving up high once being late on a 2nd to 3rd shift. I noticed after my 2nd or 3rd session that I started getting a mild ticking from the passenger side bank. Fortunately my dealer tech was there only a couple spots down from me. He listened and told me that this is not unusual and expect to hear more noises from the engine. He said once broken in, these engine make a lot of noise.

After the second day and my drive home, I noticed the driver's side bank started to get some of the same ticking. I now hear it all the time once the car is warm at idle, especially in sport mode. It goes away immediately upon revving up to even 2K. I have noticed the engine has loosened up a lot. It pulls a lot stronger down low and feels more aggressive up high. It no longer feels laggy below 2K rpms. I've now got about 1300 miles on the car.

I am planning on doing an early post break-in oil change at 2K miles. I have a BMC air filter that will be going in at the same time and it will be going on the dyno for the first time immediately following.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:23 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Spend the $22 and get Used Oil Analysis at places like Blackstone Labs. This will tell you a lot.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:31 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this is about engine break-in, yet it is essential to bed-in the brakes properly as well. When I first got my car brand new, in slow-stops the front brakes screamed like Bee Gees (I am old...)

After finding some quiet-and-safe roads to run through the brake bed-in sequences, the rotors have a nice tint of blue and the brake feels great.

Regards,

Last edited by axhoaxho; 03-18-2010 at 04:53 AM.

Quick Reply: GT3 / RS Engine Break-in Thread?