Power Tool for Removing Center Lock on 2010 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 03:16 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by XPEL Technologies
So the piece you are using (touching the ground) to store the torque is the Porsche telescopic breaker bar? Or is that part of the Armstrong set up? Maybe a better question is what all are you using there in the picture and where do I get it?
The bar touching the ground is the "torque reaction" arm. It needs to oppose the 80nm being applied by my finger.

The Porsche telescopic breaker is a separate tool.

Here's the thread where I posted pics and info on the Porsche breaker bar.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...ue-wrench.html

And here's the Armstrong torque multiplier.

OEM:
http://www.armstrongtools.com
--> click on Torque Tools
--> Multipliers
--> 1200

Model 64-832
Product Type: Torque Multipliers
* Planetary Gear System, (1) Provides output torque accuracy of +/-5%
Drive Size ( 1/2 in. ) (female square, input), ( 3/4 in. ) (male square, output)
Torque Input 200 ft lb [Max]
Torque Output 1200 ft lb [Max]
Torque : Ratio 6.0 @ 1
List Price: $1638.63.

This seems to be the cheapest vendor on the Web:

http://www.alexgs.com/product/armstr...ls-64-832.html

But I haven't repeated my comparison shopping exercise.

I believe the "factory" item from Porsche Motorsports and a similar, application-specific, product from the same OEM for the Carrera GT is branded by Hazet.

I had intended to get the Hazet, but Porsche wanted $2200 with very little discount on tools.

Having used the Armstrong, I can attest to its impeccable material quality -- I'm a tool fanatic and this is a magnificent piece of engineering that will take pride of place in my armory. : )

Also, I prefer having the torque reaction go to the ground, instead of applying 80nm to a point on the wheel, especially a painted, $1500 factory wheel ... : )

I am pleased to report it's an entirely undramatic business now to remove the centerlocks and I think the $800 +/- is "within pain tolerance" even though I believe the tool should be INCLUDED WITH THE CAR!

... I mean, really? ...
"Dear purchaser of the most expensive naturally aspirated Porsche 911 in history*, Porsche AG advises that the wheels cannot be removed. Please accept our sincere disinterest in any inconvenience this might bring someone buying the car for its intended purpose of being driven at the track, where wheel and tire changes occur frequently during any given day.
Should you wish to exceed the imposed boundaries we impose upon you, purchase the $2000 torque tool, the $500 alignment guide tube, the $300 breaker bar and a torque wrench of your choosing.
You have been warned.
Oh, and by the way, the dust-caps are made of cheap tin metal that's thinner than a beer bottle cap and cannot be removed without irreparably damaging the dust cap and the wheel nut. You'll be pleased to note the wheel nut is only $250 and the dust cap is only $45.
Our top engineers concluded that their best advice is to 'wrap some tape around the blade of a screwdriver' ... yes, this is the level of detail we insist upon at Porsche ... 'Excellence was expected' ... (note the past tense.)"
* Yes, the Sport Classic is considerably more expensive, but for the purposes of hyperbole, I'm ignoring it. : )
Old 05-24-2010, 06:28 PM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
... I mean, really? ...
"Dear purchaser of the most expensive naturally aspirated Porsche 911 in history*, Porsche AG advises that the wheels cannot be removed. Please accept our sincere disinterest in any inconvenience this might bring someone buying the car for its intended purpose of being driven at the track, where wheel and tire changes occur frequently during any given day.
Should you wish to exceed the imposed boundaries we impose upon you, purchase the $2000 torque tool, the $500 alignment guide tube, the $300 breaker bar and a torque wrench of your choosing.
You have been warned.
Oh, and by the way, the dust-caps are made of cheap tin metal that's thinner than a beer bottle cap and cannot be removed without irreparably damaging the dust cap and the wheel nut. You'll be pleased to note the wheel nut is only $250 and the dust cap is only $45.
Our top engineers concluded that their best advice is to 'wrap some tape around the blade of a screwdriver' ... yes, this is the level of detail we insist upon at Porsche ... 'Excellence was expected' ... (note the past tense.)"
LOL! Thanks for the information, sir. I will go the route you suggested.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:59 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm sure the part touching the ground is part of the multiplier setup, so it locks multiplier in place while the gears inside are working.. !
Old 05-24-2010, 08:01 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,598 Likes on 2,301 Posts

CGT, have you priced changing the alum center bolt/nut to a cup car system, inc hub....
i like that idea. steel nut.
but i dont know if it is possible and at what cost.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:33 PM
atleung
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I chose to "break" the nut off the wheel using the Porsche telescopic breaker bar.

So you mean you use the Porsche breaker by itself to loosen, or in conjunction with the multiplier? In other words, can the multiplier be used in either direction? Thanks.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:32 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by atleung
So you mean you use the Porsche breaker by itself to loosen, or in conjunction with the multiplier? In other words, can the multiplier be used in either direction? Thanks.
The multiplier works in both directions.

The Porsche break has a 3/4 drive, so it fits directly into the centerlock socket (and it had no problem releasing the nut without drama, just using the handbrake firmly, but not insanely tight. Gearbox in neutral as ever.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:51 AM
Kerry
Addict
Rennlist Member

Carrera GT - how do you stop the wheel from rotating? Does someone have their foot on the brake pedal?
Old 11-18-2010, 10:38 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kerry
Carrera GT - how do you stop the wheel from rotating? Does someone have their foot on the brake pedal?
https://rennlist.com/forums/7965123-post12.html

The "pro" tool is a Lisle brake pedal depressor, part number: LIS-21520.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:10 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

I am pleased to report it's an entirely undramatic business now to remove the centerlocks and I think the $800 +/- is "within pain tolerance" even though I believe the tool should be INCLUDED WITH THE CAR!

... I mean, really? ...
You have been warned.
* Yes, the Sport Classic is considerably more expensive, but for the purposes of hyperbole, I'm ignoring it. : )
I agree.

What ever happened to the idea of including the tools necessary to change a wheel on the car in case of emergency? Why do I get that on almost any car or pickup truck but when it comes to luxury or sports cars (like Porsche or BMW) I don't get anything but a can of goop to ruin the tire from the inside?

My M3 doesn't have any tools either. Does BMW assume I am a pompous douchebag who buys the car to display his "success" and has no clue what to do with a car? I may very well be a pompous douchebag but I can change my own wheels, thank you very much.

BTW. The McLaren F1 comes with a whole wheeled tool chest from Facom with a massive torque wrench that both beeps and blinks. The tool chest includes a certificate of calibration of the torque wrench from McLaren. I saw it with my own eyes at Turner Motorsport shop. Most likely, very few McLaren F1 owners would actually touch that stuff personally but at least the care comes complete.

I love my father's Audi S4 wagon. Comes with a full size spare with the same exact tire as the rest of the car (Michelin PS2, not too shabby). If you shred a tire you don't need to suffer with the temporary spare donut.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:56 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Has anyone tried 800Nm torque wrenches for the CL wheels?

I am at the service right now, had a quick chat with the tech and he told me that Porsche recommended a specific SK torque wrench rated at 800 Nm, so that's what they use. Unfortunately, SK went out of business recently, so the tools won't be available until at least March.

However, I checked with Snap On, and they have the same wrench for $735, which is cheaper than torque multiplier, except this thing is very long, so carrying the darn thing may be an issue and a regular torque wrench with a multiplier may be easier.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
Old 12-06-2010, 05:06 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 18 Posts

FTS - Precision Instruments C4D600F for about $300
Old 12-06-2010, 05:27 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amaist
I agree.

What ever happened to the idea of including the tools necessary to change a wheel on the car in case of emergency? Why do I get that on almost any car or pickup truck but when it comes to luxury or sports cars (like Porsche or BMW) I don't get anything but a can of goop to ruin the tire from the inside?

My M3 doesn't have any tools either. Does BMW assume I am a pompous douchebag who buys the car to display his "success" and has no clue what to do with a car? I may very well be a pompous douchebag but I can change my own wheels, thank you very much.

BTW. The McLaren F1 comes with a whole wheeled tool chest from Facom with a massive torque wrench that both beeps and blinks. The tool chest includes a certificate of calibration of the torque wrench from McLaren. I saw it with my own eyes at Turner Motorsport shop. Most likely, very few McLaren F1 owners would actually touch that stuff personally but at least the care comes complete.

I love my father's Audi S4 wagon. Comes with a full size spare with the same exact tire as the rest of the car (Michelin PS2, not too shabby). If you shred a tire you don't need to suffer with the temporary spare donut.
I don't know that any comparison with the McLaren F1 is fair, but given Porsche's proclivity of late to ask the big bucks for parts bin engineering and see who's a taker, why not offer a complete toolset at whatever price they see fit and surely there will be buyers -- how hard can it be to pop the multiplier tool, the telescopic breaker bar, the guide-tube *** hub press gadget and maybe some of that precious high temp grease in a nice tool box that fits snugly in the frunk. Maybe throw in some disposable gloves and put a Porsche shield on the box and hold out the hand for say US$4K with a smile?

I'm sure anyone dumb enough to pay $8K for different brake rotor material is a likely punter for a $3K toolbox ... they'd check the box on the order form and bingo, Porsche wins another profit margin that most car makers would love to tack onto their price.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:32 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rmag
FTS - Precision Instruments C4D600F for about $300
Aahh, thank you very much Ryan, ordered.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:28 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

tooltopia
Old 12-06-2010, 11:34 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Yes, I got it from Tooltopia, $310 with free ground shipping.

Quick Reply: Power Tool for Removing Center Lock on 2010 GT3