Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Pass Laguna Seca sound limit in 3.2 seconds!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 05:31 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

While we're on the topic of Laguna I have a problem. I'm planning to run the August POC event as well and my exhaust is well over the 92 limit. Any ideas??? I'm thinking that I'll have to find a stock exhaust system somewhere for the event.
Attached Images  
Old 04-15-2010, 06:36 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Guys, here is another way. Where Mike (mikymu) has added a rubber cap where the vacuum hose was connected, leave the hose on and disconnect the other end of the roughly 10 inch long hose. Plug the hose with a small machine screw and the job is done. The hose I plugged with the screw sucks the flap to open the exhaust, no suction no noise. The mod can be reversed in seconds.

Best,
??

Bob, are you trying to keep the lower exhaust flat open or close? You need to maintain vacuum in the line to keep the lower exhaust flap close which lead to lower db. If you disconnect the hose you will lose vacuum which will cause the lower exhaust flap to open.

Originally Posted by Leigh2
While we're on the topic of Laguna I have a problem. I'm planning to run the August POC event as well and my exhaust is well over the 92 limit. Any ideas??? I'm thinking that I'll have to find a stock exhaust system somewhere for the event.
That's a straight pipe out from the cats right? You will blow the sound booth away at T5 of Laguna Seca. I won't be surprise if you get caught at 110 db or more. You need some sort of side mufflers.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:51 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu
Oh yeah baby. Now you can muffle the exhaust note even faster with the cap!
How what ? Cap?

Short of a cone suppressor and Supertrapps, what can be done to muffle a GT3 with the center bypass?
Old 04-15-2010, 08:02 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
How what ? Cap?

Short of a cone suppressor and Supertrapps, what can be done to muffle a GT3 with the center bypass?
Yup, a simple cap on the vacuum switch will do the trick as shown below. I will quote my intial post to help explain:

"The electronic vacuum switch turn on the vacuum to close the lower exhaust flaps when 13V pass through it. When the electrical current is gone the electronic vacuum switch release the vacuum through a lower opening metal hose. Plug up this metal hose then you will maintain vacuum ALL THE TIME and the lower exhaust flap remained closed regardless of RPM change or if Sport button is on or not. You do need to run the car with Sport button off first for 2 seconds to create the vaccum then your are good to go. This is super easy to do and you will pass 92 db sound limit at Laguna Seca"

Old 04-15-2010, 08:36 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lawjdc
Now I have the Sharkwerks bypass and am really looking forward to Laguna again.
Oh yeah baby. Now you can muffle the exhaust note even faster with the cap!
Yup, a simple cap on the vacuum switch will do the trick as shown below.

Not once you remove the center muff with the bypass ... : )
Old 04-15-2010, 10:55 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Another Mikymu thread copied to DIY. Congrats!
Old 04-16-2010, 04:10 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Not once you remove the center muff with the bypass ... : )
That's my exhaust setup whe I run Laguna. I have sharkwerks center muffler bypass and it pass sound as long as you divert the exhasut to the side muffler first with the simple hat trick (cap trick)

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Another Mikymu thread copied to DIY. Congrats!
Thanks Bob
Old 04-16-2010, 04:30 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

That's my exhaust setup whe I run Laguna. I have sharkwerks center muffler bypass and it pass sound as long as you divert the exhasut to the side muffler first with the simple hat trick (cap trick)
But the vacuum controls the position of a butterfly valve diverter in the center muffler section, so once that center muffler is replaced by a "delete" pipe, there's no option to control the valve diverter position or the rest of the exhaust system.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:20 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

But the vacuum controls the position of a butterfly valve diverter in the center muffler section, so once that center muffler is replaced by a "delete" pipe, there's no option to control the valve diverter position or the rest of the exhaust system.
The lower exhaust flaps are located on the side muffler and not the center muffler as shown on the picture and video below. You will pass sound with center muffler delete as long as you keep the side mufflers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Bwyqg3NrTA
Old 04-16-2010, 05:57 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

The lower exhaust flaps are located on the side muffler and not the center muffler as shown on the picture and video below. You will pass sound with center muffler delete as long as you keep the side mufflers.
Gotcha! Ok. Now I'm awake ... : )
Old 04-16-2010, 10:18 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Gotcha! Ok. Now I'm awake ... : )
lol

Don't stay up too late tonight
Old 03-16-2012, 02:35 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,600 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Yup, a simple cap on the vacuum switch will do the trick as shown below. I will quote my intial post to help explain:

"The electronic vacuum switch turn on the vacuum to close the lower exhaust flaps when 13V pass through it. When the electrical current is gone the electronic vacuum switch release the vacuum through a lower opening metal hose. Plug up this metal hose then you will maintain vacuum ALL THE TIME and the lower exhaust flap remained closed regardless of RPM change or if Sport button is on or not. You do need to run the car with Sport button off first for 2 seconds to create the vaccum then your are good to go. This is super easy to do and you will pass 92 db sound limit at Laguna Seca"

I'm having trouble identifying "where" in the engine compartment this connector is mikymu... looks like it might be on the right hand side as you look at it ... any clues ... prior to my "sailing" event there on Monday?

p.s do you also need those wires connected to the plug to the right of the vacuum line?
Old 03-16-2012, 03:23 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts

Great thread. Thank you guys.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:17 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Big time, saved my bacon this last monday there in my 2011 gt3 rs. I ran all out and never got so much as a warning.

Thank you again mikymu
Old 03-20-2012, 01:01 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,600 Likes on 2,341 Posts

this mod is good for about -5Db @ Laguna. I got meatballed yesterday at 95.x db in 4th going past the sound station, popped into Monterey and picked up a vacuum cap, voila passed at 90.y Db ... this was with a SW center bypass btw ...

Thanks man!

Quick Reply: Pass Laguna Seca sound limit in 3.2 seconds!