Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Front Strut Brace for GT3, GT3RS or GT2 ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 09:40 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJN
Hey great photo "thusly".....it nicely shows the unibody cross member hidden between the strut towers, two addtional black diagonal braces, and the roll cage bars coming through from the cockpit. The latter adds additional bracing in the longitudinal direction.

Interesting....keep it coming!

Cheers!
Doug N.
the two diagonal braces are in every stock GT3
Old 02-22-2010, 10:30 PM
thusly
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJN
Hey great photo "thusly".....it nicely shows the unibody cross member hidden between the strut towers, two addtional black diagonal braces, and the roll cage bars coming through from the cockpit. The latter adds additional bracing in the longitudinal direction.

Interesting....keep it coming!

Cheers!
Doug N.
I am sure the addition of a strut bar would look very elegant (particularly in cf) when someone opens the front hood, and that its addition will decrease lap times by at least a few seconds. I will now inquire about how to put one in my cars, perhaps all of them. Damn Porsche; Can't engineer anything right!! So much for all that chatter about racing improves the breed.......

Old 02-22-2010, 11:50 PM
DJN
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Just to be completly clear. The intent with in my post you quote above, I was seriously truly thanking you for posting the excellent photo.

Cheers!

Doug N

Last edited by DJN; 02-22-2010 at 11:52 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-05-2013, 05:16 PM
mpack
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A front strut brace may help maintain the front camber alignment when the forces required for torquing the center lock bolts are considered. Once, when tightening a front center lock bolt on my '11 RS, the strut moved in the outboard direction in the strut tower top within the slots in the strut tower. Because I noticed it, I was able to move it back to the intended camber position because I had marked around the nuts that hold the camber plate in the slots in the strut tower.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:43 AM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

I know this is a really old thread, but just wanted to point out something I discovered and that the if its not on the cup adage doesnt apply anymore:

Pat number: 99750423390

Page 15
http://pgt3ccb.com/images/media/Tech..._addendum1.pdf

You can see it installed here, took this from the install manual for it. It bolts on to the top of the shock towers as well as the tub wall

Old 09-15-2016, 08:46 AM
madmurdock
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts

I have this strut bar. I have not installed it, but it requires drilling holes on the center of the firewall and installing a few rivnuts.

I actually purchased the exact strut brace shown in your image above from a "Carrera Cup team in Australia. It was apparently required for the Carrera Cup cars starting 2012 or 2013 to reduce front end flex issues.

If I was home I would take a look and post pics, but I won't be back until November if at this point.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:43 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

i can't see how with street tires or r comps this is going to make a difference. full slicks with 800/1200 lb springs and full tilt driving, sure.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:06 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by madmurdock
I have this strut bar. I have not installed it, but it requires drilling holes on the center of the firewall and installing a few rivnuts.

I actually purchased the exact strut brace shown in your image above from a "Carrera Cup team in Australia. It was apparently required for the Carrera Cup cars starting 2012 or 2013 to reduce front end flex issues.

If I was home I would take a look and post pics, but I won't be back until November if at this point.
Was this the one that was on eBay. If so that was a steal. I have pricing on it new from Rhonda at FVD but was seeing if I could find one used.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:24 PM
Protocav
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Realistically, if it does anything at all, it would stiffen the front, and could induce more push.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:44 AM
madmurdock
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwtye
Was this the one that was on eBay. If so that was a steal. I have pricing on it new from Rhonda at FVD but was seeing if I could find one used.
Yup, that's the one. It was $100-150 shipped all they way from Aus or NZ.

How much are these things brand new?

Would be nice to know why Porsche updated the rules in that region requiring all teams to add this.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:12 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by madmurdock
Yup, that's the one. It was $100-150 shipped all they way from Aus or NZ.

How much are these things brand new?

Would be nice to know why Porsche updated the rules in that region requiring all teams to add this.
Ah nice. You beat me to it. New is $367 plus $38 for freight.
Old 09-16-2016, 01:40 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,721 Likes on 1,003 Posts

I have a front aluminum strut brace on my car and I believe it works. The reason I say that is that I forgot to tighten it on time after I reinstalled it following an alignment. I kept getting a loud squeak when going over uneven pavement. drove me nuts until I discovered that it was loose. Once I put a preload on it and tightened it up all the squeaking went away. The squeaking was obviously a result of the bar moving due to chassis flex. So yes, the strut brace works.... I do run a stiff suspension with 1400/1500 springs so there is a lot of load going through the chassis and I feel the strut brace is definitely a big help in stiffening up the tub.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:11 PM
gt3be
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have installed this Cup strut bar. Not that to easy install you are suposed to losen one fender. The plastic covers need to be trimed to be able to reuse them.

Quick Reply: Front Strut Brace for GT3, GT3RS or GT2 ?