Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

how to improve gt3 sound system... HELP wanted

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 03:44 AM
gorichville
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to improve gt3 sound system... HELP wanted

I just got my gt3 with standard sound and there is no life in it. My only consolation is the sound from the exhaust system. I just need to improve the sound and add more bass and volume without disturbing much of the car's wiring as not to complicate matters.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
thanks
Old 02-11-2010, 04:31 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sharky's Bypass/or track pipes, problem solved!
Old 02-11-2010, 05:27 AM
timothyli
Instructor

I ordered my car with standard sound. I believe the engine sound alone will be enough to please my ears, but with the frequency people complaining about standard sound, I'm just a little worried that the standard sound is just too crap.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:02 AM
gorichville
Advanced

When you are going fast, forget about the sound system. However, going around town with a heavy clutch and a firm but acceptable ride you wish you had a better sound system to enjoy the day.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:38 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Md11skipper installed rear speakers and possibe a small amp into the rear of his RS and he says that its made a world of difference. Maybe send him a pm for details....

I am used to big sound in my cars and had similar concerns but didn't want to be cutting holes or running cables and amps everywhere. I specced mine with the sound package. Can let u know in a couple of months if it was worthwhile...

Last edited by 911rox; 02-11-2010 at 08:47 AM.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:44 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the sound package plus in my .2 GT3, however, can't drive it due to the snow. I have listened to it in the garage and it seems acceptable, but not as good as the ****ty upgraded Bose in the Carreras.

The GT3 stereo (either standard or upgraded) is not digital and can be upgraded rather easily from what I've been told. I'd visit a quality stereo shop for upgrade options with no cutting. I'd also call Suncoast to learn if it is possible and cost effective to simply upgrade to Porsche's upgraded sound package. From what I hear it is much better than the standard stereo; more power, more speakers and larger speakers.

I have also heard that adding a power amp and better rear speakers is not that difficult nor costly. I also plan to seek out a better amp for mine. Keep me posted.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:58 AM
YearOne
Racer

I had mine upgraded here in the UK and spoke to them about fitting the rear speakers which they advised against. They fitted and amp in the front luggage compartment, uprated the door speakers and moved the tweaters to the top of the dash ( I think, can't quite remember right now). Its much better now and means you can actually hear it at 80mph+
Old 02-11-2010, 10:27 AM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Pull the whole stereo out

Save weight and you won't spend more $$ chasing "better" sound!
Old 02-11-2010, 10:37 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,823 Likes on 2,387 Posts

^ after so many complained about the stereo, i am seriously thinking of stereo delete on my RS.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:15 AM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

for what it's worth, in my 7.2 with sound package plus, it's so bad i've rarely used it. the great engine note has something to do with that, but i'm somewhat of an audiophile nerd, so, generally, i'd rather listen to nothing than bad sound. couldn't even imagine standard sound.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:55 AM
Mark FM
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Check out this previous post (HiFiMonkey). Chris at Hear-No-Evil stereo in Salem Oregon has the kit nailed down to get great sound out of a 997. The install is totally hidden and I can now hear the sound over the engine when I want. Chris has done this same install on a number of 997's and I am sure he would share is technique with you. Send me (or Chris) a PM and I will put you in touch with him. Chris has a 997 - infact, that is his car that is pictured.

The sound he gets out of the system is amazing! It is also nice to have the I-pod connection and charging system.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...-sounds-2.html
Old 02-11-2010, 01:18 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep in mind, there are times that some of us when driving long distances want to listen to music and not the exhaust. Regardless of the stereo in your car, you only have to turn it off to hear the exhaust note unobstructed. I ordered my GT3 with Sound Plus as the base 4-speaker stereo is a joke...as it has been all the way back to a 996 GT3. It is really for listening to news only. The main issue with aftermarket pieces is large amps adding weight and consuming trunk space we do not have in abundance. Unfortunately, when you make a decision to buy a car that doesn't have all the options you want, you need to look aftermarket for upgrades. Sound plus isn't going to win a stereo competition, but it is a huge step up from the base stereo. The sound plus isn't that bad, but it lacks 1 thing: it lacks a sub. The other thing is, unless you get PCM with the Auxillery connector; the simple RCA auxillery jack lacks quality for getting good signal out of your ipod.

I don't understand why people pick on the Bose in 996s/997s. It is one of the best balanced factory stereos from any manufacturer. It isn't a Mark Levinson in a Lexus, but it is pretty close. It has very good defined highs with good voice separation, well defined mids and smooth bass. The factory sub isn't boomy or thumpy, but it blends in very well. Every range fills and the sound does surround the driver and passenger. I've had Bose stereos in other cars, none of which hold a candle to the 996/997 systems as they usually lack fill, bass or mids. I have a friend who got Bose in his 997 and initially hated it. We then spent half an hour adjusting it (bass, treble, postion, etc.) and now he loves it. If I could have gotten the GT2s Bose system in my GT3, I would have ordered it.

If you want to listen to something that is awful by comparison, listen to the Bose in a Cayman. The sound is completely directed in front of you, the rear speakers are far too small and there is far too little bass.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:47 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

LMAOOOOO... I was in my buddies 997TT 07, and I thought the Bose sound system was AWESOME hahahah... The Hi Fi, upgraded, blah blah blah that you guy's are mentioning, is probably even better than the turbos I was in.. I guess even a boombox is better then my 2 speaker 996 GT2 system though!
Old 02-11-2010, 04:25 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,676 Likes on 778 Posts

^ after so many complained about the stereo, i am seriously thinking of stereo delete on my RS.
If it was not my daily driver absolutely. Instead I added blue tooth so I can at least play music with the crappy reception and I was hoping for slightly better speakers in the '10...

I don't know if better speakers have to be much heavier, but if porsche could advertise slightly better speakers that are one gram lighter, we all would pay more for it!
Old 02-11-2010, 04:47 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
Keep in mind, there are times that some of us when driving long distances want to listen to music and not the exhaust. Regardless of the stereo in your car, you only have to turn it off to hear the exhaust note unobstructed. I ordered my GT3 with Sound Plus as the base 4-speaker stereo is a joke...as it has been all the way back to a 996 GT3. It is really for listening to news only. The main issue with aftermarket pieces is large amps adding weight and consuming trunk space we do not have in abundance. Unfortunately, when you make a decision to buy a car that doesn't have all the options you want, you need to look aftermarket for upgrades. Sound plus isn't going to win a stereo competition, but it is a huge step up from the base stereo. The sound plus isn't that bad, but it lacks 1 thing: it lacks a sub. The other thing is, unless you get PCM with the Auxillery connector; the simple RCA auxillery jack lacks quality for getting good signal out of your ipod.

I don't understand why people pick on the Bose in 996s/997s. It is one of the best balanced factory stereos from any manufacturer. It isn't a Mark Levinson in a Lexus, but it is pretty close. It has very good defined highs with good voice separation, well defined mids and smooth bass. The factory sub isn't boomy or thumpy, but it blends in very well. Every range fills and the sound does surround the driver and passenger. I've had Bose stereos in other cars, none of which hold a candle to the 996/997 systems as they usually lack fill, bass or mids. I have a friend who got Bose in his 997 and initially hated it. We then spent half an hour adjusting it (bass, treble, postion, etc.) and now he loves it. If I could have gotten the GT2s Bose system in my GT3, I would have ordered it.

If you want to listen to something that is awful by comparison, listen to the Bose in a Cayman. The sound is completely directed in front of you, the rear speakers are far too small and there is far too little bass.
I may have been picking on Bose a little bit. My previous 997 turbo and C2S had the upgraded Bose stereos and they were good car stereos; maybe even very good, imo. I am just not generally a Bose fan.

Anyway, thanks for the link. I will also look into this option for my .2 GT3, unfortunately I can't open the link; not enough privileges?

Quick Reply: how to improve gt3 sound system... HELP wanted