Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 sounds

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 04:50 PM
sws1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please post your results when you find out the info.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:28 AM
hifimonkey
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depending on how involved you want to get with stereo stuff, I have a great solution that leaves the car looking 100% stock, takes up no useable room and sounds fantastic.

Step one - reduce the noise level in the car using Dynamat or another similar product. This will add about 20 pounds to your car.

Step two - Speaker upgrade. Morell 9" drivers in the door, Focal seperates for the front and at least coaxials in the rear. These all fit with very minor alteration to your car. Do the sound treatment right and same with door assembly, no rattles. Really amazing bass.

Step three - Power. In the GT3, a Zapco 360.4 will fit under the false floor in your trunk - where the air pump now resides in a bunch of foam type stuff. The Zapco amp interfaces perfectly with the OE head unit.

The pictures attached are of a C2S and the GT3 has a different mounting location but the result is the same.

Happy to share more if you are interested.

Chris
Attached Images      
Old 06-19-2009, 11:52 AM
Mark FM
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Chris did my GT-3 and I can honestly say that it has transformed the car from a "9+" to a full "10". The stereo is simply amazing! I now have full i-pod integration, bass to die for and highs that are crystal clear! The Dynamat has eliminated all of the bad sounds, and yes, the exhaust note is still as powerful as ever! It is remarkable how much quieter the car is on concrete freeways and rough pavement.

I know the purists will not approve of adding 20 - 25 pounds of weight, but I am not going to be racing my GT-3. For me, the addition of the stereo upgrades, the filtering out of the "bad" noises, while keeping all the "good" was well worth the trade-off. What I think is remarkable is the fact that the way Chris did the install, everything is reversable if anyone would want to put it back to stock.

Thanks Chris for making my GT-3 all the more special to me!!!!

Mark
Old 06-19-2009, 12:24 PM
DAlex
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Ditto to the report from Mark. After hearing the results in Chris' and Mark's cars, I did the same to my C2S. The only difference is that I had the Bose system in mine, and already have the integrated iPod connector. Chris can speak to the specifics of how he integrated these changes into the car while still using some of the Bose components, but I will say that the sound is absolutely incredible. The Dynamat does a terrific job of muting the road noise, while still letting the engine and exhaust sounds in. In my car we did not put Dynamat on the rear firewall. When I want to drive and hear the music, I can and it is crystal clear. The car rocks. When the stereo is off, I get all the great Porsche music, and much less of the distracting noise off the road surface. I could not be more pleased. For me, it was an upgrade well worth the effort. Seeing the car pulled apart is interesting, but the best part of this is that once the work is done, the car looks absolutely stock. If you want to make a noticeable improvement and are not concerned about adding a few pounds, this is a modification to seriously consider.

Doug
Old 06-20-2009, 12:11 AM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowboarder54
Install a sharkwerks by-pass, you wont want to hear anything else!!
'nuff said
Old 06-20-2009, 03:40 AM
Adam2S
Instructor

Does anybody know if it would be possible to special order BOSE in a new GT3?
Old 06-20-2009, 10:30 AM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys and your sound systems are killing me!!! Special order a sharkwerks By-pass.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:08 AM
sws1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys and your sound systems are killing me!!! Special order a sharkwerks By-pass.

You guys who keep changing the topic to exhaust are killing me. If someone wants to discuss the stereo, let them. It's his car.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:24 AM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

My apology I guess I’m old school, I like to listen to what my car is telling me. Discuss away!!
Old 06-21-2009, 01:23 AM
DAlex
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

I have both, and love both. Each has its time and place.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:49 PM
Stephen Fisher
Instructor

Can you add a playstation to that set-up?
Old 06-22-2009, 11:17 AM
hifimonkey
2nd Gear

Whatever.

Quick Reply: GT3 sounds