Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

how to improve gt3 sound system... HELP wanted

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 05:01 PM
brutusflash
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It makes me laugh when people complain about the stereo in a GT3. Everyone wants to get better sound when they connect their ipod, which IMHO is useless because an ipod gives horrible fidelity anyway. Compression both in dynamic range and s/n ratio. A stereo's sound can only be as good as the source. An mp3 player cannot be considered as a high end source. Good reproduction needs massive power, quality speakers(the bigger the better), and great source/transport material. Rant terminated
Old 02-11-2010, 07:46 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,704 Likes on 2,342 Posts

^ hee hee.
goldmund ref turn table.
ML6B
ML2
sonus faber.
only adds about 1,000 lbs to the wt. but it will sound good, as long as you move the driver seat to the center of the car. but i digress.

i think a well integrated system would work well even in a GT3 for the drivers who enjoy music while driving.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:38 PM
akshon
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just changed the head unit to a kenwood dnx9140 on my base system and it sounds much much better without any new speakers or amps.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:35 PM
Racerron
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by YearOne
I had mine upgraded here in the UK and spoke to them about fitting the rear speakers which they advised against. They fitted and amp in the front luggage compartment, uprated the door speakers and moved the tweaters to the top of the dash ( I think, can't quite remember right now). Its much better now and means you can actually hear it at 80mph+
I'm surprised you can go that fast on the M1 with all the traffic and here in NA it only has to work at 70mph or 62mph in Canada
Old 02-11-2010, 09:39 PM
Racerron
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brutusflash
It makes me laugh when people complain about the stereo in a GT3. Everyone wants to get better sound when they connect their ipod, which IMHO is useless because an ipod gives horrible fidelity anyway. Compression both in dynamic range and s/n ratio. A stereo's sound can only be as good as the source. An mp3 player cannot be considered as a high end source. Good reproduction needs massive power, quality speakers(the bigger the better), and great source/transport material. Rant terminated
How do I install a pair of Wilson Maxx II's and a Levinson 31.5 transport with a pair of Halcro's in the RS? Any help would be appreciated. It was suggested to install a tow hitch to tow the trailer with 10KW gen behind to power every thing so how much - camber for the trailer wheels for best handling?
Old 02-11-2010, 09:44 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

ron, another audiophile i see ;-)
levinson over rated.
try some JRDG stuff.
batter powered 300 watt monoblocks. i think it has so much current maybe even drive a dead circuit LOL. you dont need generator, but do need a tractor to pull all the equipment.

unfortunately these car aint got no sunroof so MAXX wont fit. see there IS a reason for sun roof. i had a pair of WATT, puppy and of course puppy tails.

this thread is really going sideways.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:41 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 20 Posts

^ of course the GT3 ethos is the antithesis of mega solid state (leave that to the Corvette crowd). Me want 2A3 or 300B amps with some super high-sensitivity single-driver speaks like Omegas to fit in the car. Small displacement, high palpability!
Old 02-12-2010, 12:02 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by triode
^ of course the GT3 ethos is the antithesis of mega solid state (leave that to the Corvette crowd). Me want 2A3 or 300B amps with some super high-sensitivity single-driver speaks like Omegas to fit in the car. Small displacement, high palpability!
sh**T, 300B and 2A3, where do you find them. when i was full triod 10-15 years ago, russian and chinese had some NOS that were costing legs and arms. what are they going for now days?

forget triodes, when i looked at some primo KT88's then i was shocked. i bought a load and really babied them. unless i am full on, i run solid states, tubes are for special occasions!

candle light dinner.... candle = tubes.

oh of course, triode with high efficiency speakers... and the NHV of GT3, oh man the microphonic garbage noise will drive you nuts.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:35 AM
irysfan
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine came with the Sound Package Plus. Sometimes I wanted the music to drown out the break squeal in traffic while DD but I'm hesitant to turn it up because the sound is terrible.

From what I can tell so far without ripping the car apart, I think a sufficient setup is an amp+pre-amp (maybe also a processor) hooked up front driven by a ipod or similar device. It's hard to fit any after-market equipment at the middle of the dash nicely without major fiberglass-type work. It's possible, but it's not worth the time & $ given that music should only be on 5-10% of time :-)

Wrt to speakers, I'd say just get a set of very nice front components in a 2-way setup and forget about rear speakers. Those are for backseat passengers and almost always make the sound worse. It may be possible to add a custom sub wrapped in alcantara in the rear at the center like a hand rest but that'll mean more fiberglass work. Adding deadening is very important but I won't dare putting that in the GT3.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:05 AM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting responses on this post. The depth of the technical intricacies inherent in audiophiles is way over my understanding; however, I do love the symphonic mastery of a GT3 engine at high RPMS and wouldn't trade it for any majestic sound system.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:09 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by russo
Interesting responses on this post. The depth of the technical intricacies inherent in audiophiles is way over my understanding; however, I do love the symphonic mastery of a GT3 engine at high RPMS and wouldn't trade it for any majestic sound system.
amen.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:17 AM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iLLM3
Sharky's Bypass/or track pipes, problem solved!
Evil minds think alike!! (these cars come with radios?)
Old 02-13-2010, 08:52 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by leif997
Evil minds think alike!! (these cars come with radios?)
LOL you know the deal

Quick Reply: how to improve gt3 sound system... HELP wanted