PCCB Longevity on GT2?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 03:15 AM
Marcus Frost
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCCB Longevity on GT2?

Hello all,

I have seen the many numerous discussions regarding the PCCBs on the 997s on the various platforms, and I'm curious if someone can give an actual indication as to their experienced service life with these rotors. Ideally, we are talking maybe a couple of track days per year, and up to 10k miles in street driving. I have never owned a non-steel rotor car and with the Porsche tax on rotors I am curious is I'll be looking at a $5k rotor bill every other summer. I understand the PCCBs under street driving last forever, but it seems that some of the track enthusiasts seem to wear them down - whether that's because they do a dozen track days a year, or 2, I am not sure.

My 65 has pricey two piece rotors that cost around $1k a piece and last around 50k miles, so I am already used to relatively expensive brakes...

-m
Old 02-04-2010, 05:45 AM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I have tracked my car several times with no issues. Cooling improvements are going to be needed, which I plan on doing this summer.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:03 AM
sws1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There have been people on here who have tracked their PCCBs 25+ days or more.

Hit search. Lots of examples.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:08 PM
aero997c2s
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the Porsche Motorsport pad (I think its a pagid green) the PCCB's should last for a very long time on the track. The OEM pads are already a pagid pad, but I don't think they are the greens and those pads matched with ceramic rotors should last forever with normal street driving although they may be very squeaky at times. I've done mutilple events with my PCCB's on OEM pads and havent had any problems yet. As I get faster on the track I plan on switching to the Porsche Motorsport approved pagid pad. Please anyone correct me if something is wrong.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:18 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
Hello all,

I have seen the many numerous discussions regarding the PCCBs on the 997s on the various platforms, and I'm curious if someone can give an actual indication as to their experienced service life with these rotors. Ideally, we are talking maybe a couple of track days per year, and up to 10k miles in street driving. I have never owned a non-steel rotor car and with the Porsche tax on rotors I am curious is I'll be looking at a $5k rotor bill every other summer. I understand the PCCBs under street driving last forever, but it seems that some of the track enthusiasts seem to wear them down - whether that's because they do a dozen track days a year, or 2, I am not sure.

My 65 has pricey two piece rotors that cost around $1k a piece and last around 50k miles, so I am already used to relatively expensive brakes...

-m
With correct brake pads, correct brake fluid, using cool down laps, 2 track days a year with two hours of track driving per track day, 10k miles/year on street driving in US. You should be fine for 10 years (100,000 miles and 40 hours at the track).

Use a track pad for track days (p50 pagid), and stock pads for street miles. Castrol SRF brake fluid, flushed once a year.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:48 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
With correct brake pads, correct brake fluid, using cool down laps, 2 track days a year with two hours of track driving per track day, 10k miles/year on street driving in US. You should be fine for 10 years (100,000 miles and 40 hours at the track).

Use a track pad for track days (p50 pagid), and stock pads for street miles. Castrol SRF brake fluid, flushed once a year.
What are the negatives to using the track pads on the street?
Old 02-04-2010, 02:15 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
What are the negatives to using the track pads on the street?
too abrasive for street use, so you will be wearing the rotors much more with no performance improvement (how much braking do you need from 65mph on public roads?).

The problem with the stock pads and track use is that once overheated, they starts chunking (falling apart), and as they disintegrate they become abrasive on the PCCB rotors, leading to early failures on PCCB rotors.

Swapping brake pads is pretty easy, not time consuming.

By the way, Ferrari is now using Pagid RS19 (harder than RS29) as the front compound in the F430 Challenge. The Challenge car uses CCB rotors.

I also used RS19 and RS29 on my PCCB rotors (Generation I) since 2004, and those rotors lasted over 30,000 miles, with 4,000 track miles. The current PCCB are much stronger than the ones I had.

The P50 (pagid green for PCCB) is pretty hard. I have been told that it is a compound as hard as RS15.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:50 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 273 Likes on 131 Posts

too abrasive for street use, so you will be wearing the rotors much more with no performance improvement (how much braking do you need from 65mph on public roads?).

The problem with the stock pads and track use is that once overheated, they starts chunking (falling apart), and as they disintegrate they become abrasive on the PCCB rotors, leading to early failures on PCCB rotors.

By the way, Ferrari is now using Pagid RS19 (harder than RS29) as the front compound in the F430 Challenge. The Challenge car uses CCB rotors.

I also used RS19 and RS29 on my PCCB rotors (Generation I) since 2004, and those rotors lasted over 30,000 miles, with 4,000 track miles. The current PCCB are much stronger than the ones I had. If you track with it on, you will burn/melt the rear rotors, depending on how aggressive you drive.

The P50 (pagid green for PCCB) is pretty hard. I have been told that it is a compound as hard as RS15.
I was told that Porsche recommends "Porsche motorsport" P50 green pads for current PCCBs. Are they the same as P50 Pagid green?

To the OP, avoid tracking with TC/SC ON.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:31 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to belabor this, NJ-GT, but I'm pretty new to PCCBs and want to avoid expensive 'mistakes'. Wear doesn't scare me, but what I don't know does.

I've read that the PCCB brake pad break-in process was pretty rigorous, with multiple stops from triple-digit speeds.

If you run street pads, then switch to track pads, do you need to perform the break-in process each time you swap them, or will just marking the broken-in pads by location suffice?

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2010, 04:43 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Unlike the 6GT3 pads which fell appart quickly the stock GT2 pads worked great for me but I still replaced them with the P50.
I do keep the P50 pads on for street use with no problems, I did the same with my x6GT3 for 4yrs.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:22 PM
sims
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I got mine PCCBs down within 5 race weekends with the green pads - big dissapointment. Before anyone asks - yes, all raid aids turned off - and no, ABS wasn't active. According to Manthey, this is not unusual. However, the tricks seems to run the first 4000km smoothly and the live span should be long. The RSR steel brakes are as great and significantly cheaper.

Quick Reply: PCCB Longevity on GT2?