Open test day at Thunderhill 2/5/10

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 03:52 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Open test day at Thunderhill 2/5/10

Thunderhill is hosting an open track testing event on 2/5/10 for both street and race prep cars. Last time only 2 street cars and 4 race cars show up so they let them run the track ALL DAY LONG!!

Looks like the weather might cooperate this Friday. I will be there if it does not rain. gate open at 7 Am and track go hot at 9 AM. They have the usual corner workers and tow vehicle. What a great opportunity for a "personal" track event at Thunderhill. Best of all is that you don't need to commit early and it's only $199 at the door for the whole day. If it rains, you don't go. If you get into a fight with wife you don't go .... or go any way

Here is the link to the event:
http://www.thunderhill.com/html/open_testing.html
Old 02-03-2010, 04:51 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am thinking seriously of it. But I would have to run on my snow tires (predicting snow up here Friday/Friday Night. Should still be fun though yes?

Any chance you have an extra helmet my wife could wear Mike? (S or XS, we have a balaclava)
Old 02-03-2010, 05:02 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by savyboy
I am thinking seriously of it. But I would have to run on my snow tires (predicting snow up here Friday/Friday Night. Should still be fun though yes?

Any chance you have an extra helmet my wife could wear Mike? (S or XS, we have a balaclava)
Hey Savyboy, I have alot of helmets but they are motorcycle helmet. Wife has a medium size silver motorcycle helmet we use all the time for track. Let me know if you and wife are coming. We do have to check the weather though. I am not sure you should run your snow tires. Which car will you be bringing?

Mike
Old 02-03-2010, 08:24 PM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Tempting but I'm in Tahoe

I'm heading to LSR with trackmasters in a few weeks though, come on down
Old 02-03-2010, 08:40 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Backmarker
Tempting but I'm in Tahoe

I'm heading to LSR with trackmasters in a few weeks though, come on down
LSR...? Laguna Seca?
Old 02-03-2010, 09:24 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by mikymu
Hey Savyboy, I have alot of helmets but they are motorcycle helmet. Wife has a medium size silver motorcycle helmet we use all the time for track. Let me know if you and wife are coming. We do have to check the weather though. I am not sure you should run your snow tires. Which car will you be bringing?

Mike
The C4S The RS delivery is still at least a month away. Although...it might be fun to put the cayenne on the track?? lol

Let's keep an eye on weather. I have to drive across the ridge and have to run the snows because snow is in the forecast for the drive over.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:58 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Use to have Fridays off- that blows : (. Mike
Old 02-03-2010, 10:40 PM
speedoflight
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Use to have Fridays off- that blows : (. Mike
same here. no more hooky fridays.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:50 PM
JAMS
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The C4S The RS delivery is still at least a month away. Although...it might be fun to put the cayenne on the track?? lol

Let's keep an eye on weather. I have to drive across the ridge and have to run the snows because snow is in the forecast for the drive over.
Birthday wishes appear to be in order... Feb 2nd build date.

Congratulations!
Old 02-03-2010, 11:58 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Friday forecast says rain ending am.. picking up again in the afternoon or evening...Hmmmm? Kinda close call. My rule of thumb is whatever they say, you know that's not what it will be.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:20 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by JAMS
Birthday wishes appear to be in order... Feb 2nd build date.
Congratulations!
Haha..yes I guess that is true? Thank you Sir! Should have details any day. I have been so busy I forgot the pending birth Should be the part of the first RS boat-full to be delivered to US.

Super-stoked to get that rascal on the track!
Old 02-04-2010, 01:12 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Driving in the rain is OK & interesting
Have fun!!
Attached Images  
Old 02-04-2010, 01:26 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Actually in rain great time to learn car control with the anvil in the rear. It ain't the funnest but ne tracktime is good tracktime. Mike
Old 02-04-2010, 03:08 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I gone to TH before when it forecast to rain cats and dogs and it was completely dry. We will see what happen in 24 hours. Snow tires on the track ...

Mike and Joe ... work is way over rated. Take a well deserved Friday off. There will be plenty more Friday the rest of the year for you to work
Old 02-07-2010, 02:30 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

It pour like cats and dogs the night before 2/5. I watched satellite intently and look like there is a break in the storm on 2/5. I waited till noon on 2/5 to let the track dry and showed up with my RS to test out the steel Cup rotors before switching back to PCCB.

The track was a bit damp and very cold. I drove 7/10 and really hammer the brakes before turn 10, 14 and 1. Will give feedback on my steel to PCCB swap thread later. I was the only street car there and they ran 30 minutes run group for race and street car so I got to use the track all to myself! Super relax and no pressure to go fast. Now that is different. We ran a 45 minutes combine session at the end and I burn all up my fuel. The longest I spend on the track was 1 hour straight. I gain new appreciation for 24 hours race drivers!

What a cool way to test our car. Will use this opportunity again for future mods. I took couple pictures of my RS between sessions. Fun afternoon at the track

Quick Reply: Open test day at Thunderhill 2/5/10