Trouble shifting into 3rd gear from 2nd at high RPM

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 10:53 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Trouble shifting into 3rd gear from 2nd at high RPM

Hey Guys, I have some trouble shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear at RPM higher than 6K on the track. This problem is most noticeable accelerating up the straight of Laguna Seca before turn two. 1/2 of the time the gear will grind going from 2-3. No problem down shift in any gear of up shift in any other gear. What gives?? I have tried giving it a pause and it helps (totally kills my momentum on the track!) and shifting at lower RPM also helps. Is there any way to fix this problem? Better engine mount? transmission links or fluid? shift mechanism?

Here is what fc-racer's assessment of the problem

Originally Posted by fc-racer
mikymu, your issue is different and well known, even on brand new cars. In order to shift from 2-3 at high rpm and high lateral loads, give your hand a 1/2 second pause in neutral and let the shifter naturally find 3rd gear. It will go right in and once you get used to it, it will become second nature. Whatever you do, don't force it, the more you relax, the more the gearbox works with you instead of against you.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:36 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Known experience. How long have you been at it? You will get used to it. Seems like it's related to the torque on the engine/mounts......moving everything a little. If I recall, it's a hair further to the right.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:45 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Schmidts Cat
Known experience. How long have you been at it? You will get used to it. Seems like it's related to the torque on the engine/mounts......moving everything a little. If I recall, it's a hair further to the right.
Well, I never had this problem until I got faster and push harder with my RS. No problem ever going from 2nd to 3rd on street or at Thunderhill but somehow that uphill straight at Laguna gave me hell. Perhaps the car is really under load going uphill ... slight pause before shifting into 3rd helps but that kill momentum. Wevo engine mount to the rescue??
Old 02-03-2010, 10:40 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,667 Likes on 2,331 Posts

^ trust me, go faster in the esses at TH, you WILL have 2nd to 3rd shifting issue.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:45 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

I have the r/p so never have to go from 2-3 thru the esses but fk downshifting from 5-4 before t1 is not confident inspiring. Mike
Old 02-03-2010, 05:05 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
^ trust me, go faster in the esses at TH, you WILL have 2nd to 3rd shifting issue.
I will have to push harder next time to know ....

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
I have the r/p so never have to go from 2-3 thru the esses but fk downshifting from 5-4 before t1 is not confident inspiring. Mike
lol ... Porsche tranny linkage sucks?
Old 02-03-2010, 07:16 PM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 16 Posts

Is there any solution? I thought I was the only one with an issue of 2nd to 3rd on right handers till I read mikymu's thread on 6speed. Weird as mine occurs always on a right hand sweeper at Sepang, at high rpm though....
Old 02-03-2010, 07:20 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

I popped my pressure plate/ clutch assembly when went 5 to 2 with Mooty behind me. He was scared I would spin back on track and collect him. I'm very careful with 5-4 now. Mike ps- shift linkage is flimsy plastic with plastic threads- what's that all about? Mike
Old 02-03-2010, 07:23 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

By the way also did the 997 shifter mod- still sloppy : (. Mike
Old 02-03-2010, 08:37 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Harold
Is there any solution? I thought I was the only one with an issue of 2nd to 3rd on right handers till I read mikymu's thread on 6speed. Weird as mine occurs always on a right hand sweeper at Sepang, at high rpm though....
You too Harold? Man, our tranny is pretty crappy. One more thing to DIY ...

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
I popped my pressure plate/ clutch assembly when went 5 to 2 with Mooty behind me. He was scared I would spin back on track and collect him. I'm very careful with 5-4 now. Mike ps- shift linkage is flimsy plastic with plastic threads- what's that all about? Mike
... I thought John has ***** of steel lol

weak plastic linkage ... I may have to get a better made after market shifter from GMG
Old 02-03-2010, 09:12 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

The 2-3 upshift under load is a known and common problem with our cars. The only solution is to shift more slowly.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:15 AM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Harold
The solution is to relax.

And naturally it will always be at high rpm. It's kind of the the point of shifting from 2nd to 3rd, no? You run up to redline so fast that you need to shift up.

At my local track(Tremblant) there is a spot that forces me to short shift 2-3. If I wait too long and let it reach the rpm limit I will be already turning even if seemingly gently. The car will let me know I waited too long.
Although, I think that if I drive the car like a man the problem will go away. I will have enough speed to take the corner in 3rd
Old 02-04-2010, 12:30 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,993 Likes on 2,821 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu
lol ... Porsche tranny linkage sucks?
That might be the problem - there is no linkage, just cables.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:35 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
The 2-3 upshift under load is a known and common problem with our cars. The only solution is to shift more slowly.
or get Wevo motor mounts . . .
Old 02-04-2010, 03:13 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
I want a sequential!!

Originally Posted by GrantG
That might be the problem - there is no linkage, just cables.
LOL

Originally Posted by amaist
The solution is to relax.

And naturally it will always be at high rpm. It's kind of the the point of shifting from 2nd to 3rd, no? You run up to redline so fast that you need to shift up.

At my local track(Tremblant) there is a spot that forces me to short shift 2-3. If I wait too long and let it reach the rpm limit I will be already turning even if seemingly gently. The car will let me know I waited too long.
Although, I think that if I drive the car like a man the problem will go away. I will have enough speed to take the corner in 3rd
I really try hard to relax and even sing a song or two in my head before popping into 3rd ... still sucks. We are suppose to shift w/o even worry about taking a pause etc. You said it. I will make all corners real man's corner and take it 3rd gear @ 75 mph+

Originally Posted by lawjdc
or get Wevo motor mounts . . .
YES! next mod for sure

Quick Reply: Trouble shifting into 3rd gear from 2nd at high RPM