Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Trouble shifting into 3rd gear from 2nd at high RPM

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 01:45 PM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Hmmmm, my Turbo had the exact same problem at a couple of spots on our local tracks. I ended up short shifting as well and just using the Turbo's torque to pull me out of it. I was hoping the GT3 had this issue squared away but I guess not. I hope the more peeky engine characteristics of the GT3 doesn't skunk the short-shift approach and leave me in a flat part of the engine.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:46 PM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had the same issue at MSR - Cresson. Car is loaded going uphill and won't go into 3rd. I talked to a couple of service guys and Porschephiles and they said there is no solution to it. Just shift a bit slower.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:55 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It just takes some getting used to, once you get used to it, it becomes second nature and you don't lose any momentum. There is this guy from Italy with great car control that shifts in the oddest places and seems to have no issues. Here's one of his videos: http://axisofoversteer.com/blog/movies/Varano2006.wmv
Old 02-04-2010, 07:45 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritesh
I've had the same issue at MSR - Cresson. Car is loaded going uphill and won't go into 3rd. I talked to a couple of service guys and Porschephiles and they said there is no solution to it. Just shift a bit slower.
LOL

slow should not be in GT3/RS vocabulary. I am going to find a way to fix this problem!

Originally Posted by fc-racer
It just takes some getting used to, once you get used to it, it becomes second nature and you don't lose any momentum. There is this guy from Italy with great car control that shifts in the oddest places and seems to have no issues. Here's one of his videos: http://axisofoversteer.com/blog/movies/Varano2006.wmv
WOW, I thought for sure he was going to bite it at the end there. He was on a short track and I wonder if that made any difference since I encounter the 2nd to 3rd problem up hill on a long straight under high RPM
Old 02-04-2010, 08:46 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Only really ever had an issue coming out of turn 2 at Button Willow (Right hander). But just relaxing is the key. Never at TH that I recall.

Last edited by Schmidts Cat; 02-05-2010 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:44 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't want any issues with very fast 2-3 shifts then get a Cup car or swap the gear box for a racing unit.

Ultimately the street GT3 is a street car. It has some limitations on the race track. Out of all the street cars you can get it probably has the fewest limitations on the race track, though, but it's still not a real race car.
The GT3 Cup is a real race car.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:03 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amaist
If you don't want any issues with very fast 2-3 shifts then get a Cup car or swap the gear box for a racing unit.

Ultimately the street GT3 is a street car. It has some limitations on the race track. Out of all the street cars you can get it probably has the fewest limitations on the race track, though, but it's still not a real race car.
The GT3 Cup is a real race car.
Only if I have the money or time to rebuild Cup car tranny every 20 hours of use ... not a viable option. Driving fast on the track is not real racing and our GT3/RS gears should hold up without fuss ...
Old 02-05-2010, 01:37 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu
I want a sequential!!
If you mean a sequential shifter as opposed to a sequential gearbox, the 2-3 upshift will still be balky, in my experience.

I've driven both a 6TT and 7GT2 with sequential and traditional shifters on track, and the upshift is still a difficult one. You can *try* to really bang the lever toward yourself to effectuate the upshift, but it only works like half the time. The solution, even with the sequential, as many others in this thread have noted, is just to be gentle.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:45 PM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by nkhalidi
You can *try* to really bang the lever toward yourself to effectuate the upshift, but it only works like half the time. The solution, even with the sequential, as many others in this thread have noted, is just to be gentle.
I don't know about the GT2 and GT3 with their steel synco forks but on the 996tt if you 'banged' it in too many times you'd end up with bent forks and the 2nd gear pop-out issue.

I always either short shifted or soft shifted mine.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:36 AM
Bernie930
Racer

Mikymu,
the problem to your issue is the shift cables, PERIOD. I hope you havn't done any damage to the dog teeth. Install a set of PMNA 996 CUP cables properly adjusted and you will love them. You can use them with your shifter, I DO NOT recommend to install a short shift kit. What gear oil are you useing? Gear oil in these boxes makes a HUGE difference. Also I believe you just replaced your diff. right? Did the shifting issue come about after the diff. replacement? Feel free to contact me offline to discuss this issue.
Bernie
Old 02-07-2010, 01:33 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nkhalidi
If you mean a sequential shifter as opposed to a sequential gearbox, the 2-3 upshift will still be balky, in my experience.

I've driven both a 6TT and 7GT2 with sequential and traditional shifters on track, and the upshift is still a difficult one. You can *try* to really bang the lever toward yourself to effectuate the upshift, but it only works like half the time. The solution, even with the sequential, as many others in this thread have noted, is just to be gentle.
Got it. I guess it does not matter how you shift ... the inherent problem will still be there

Originally Posted by Bernie930
Mikymu,
the problem to your issue is the shift cables, PERIOD. I hope you havn't done any damage to the dog teeth. Install a set of PMNA 996 CUP cables properly adjusted and you will love them. You can use them with your shifter, I DO NOT recommend to install a short shift kit. What gear oil are you useing? Gear oil in these boxes makes a HUGE difference. Also I believe you just replaced your diff. right? Did the shifting issue come about after the diff. replacement? Feel free to contact me offline to discuss this issue.
Bernie
Hey Bernie, thanks for the feedback. I am not going to do the short shift kit route. I use the Mobil delvac 75-90 after rebuilding the LSD. I don't think I can attribute LSD to the problem. I never used to shift from 2nd to 3rd up the straight at Laguna until I got alot faster. Torque and very high RPM pass 7000 bring out these gremlins. I don't think I done any damage to the tranny since I just got back from Thunderhill and shift from 2nd to 3rd was none issue. I am going to look into getting a set of 996 Cup cable and Wevo engine mount to really tighten things up
Old 02-07-2010, 03:12 AM
Bernie930
Racer

+1 on the Delvac and going the Cup cable setup. But let me know if this only happend after the diff. rebuild/ replacement (not the diff. fault/trans. fault), just magnifies the cable issue. DO NOT recommed the engine mount installation, do the cables first.
Bernie
Old 10-06-2010, 04:27 PM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Still having the problem. I have noticed it a couple of times while driving on the street!! Anybody come up with a solution to this problem? I was thinking of using Amsoil MTF or something equivalent to see if that helps.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:34 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu
Hey Guys, I have some trouble shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear at RPM higher than 6K on the track. This problem is most noticeable accelerating up the straight of Laguna Seca before turn two. 1/2 of the time the gear will grind going from 2-3. No problem down shift in any gear of up shift in any other gear. What gives?? I have tried giving it a pause and it helps (totally kills my momentum on the track!) and shifting at lower RPM also helps. Is there any way to fix this problem? Better engine mount? transmission links or fluid? shift mechanism?

Here is what fc-racer's assessment of the problem
WEVO
Old 10-06-2010, 04:53 PM
PNUT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the cartronics sequential shifter (not gear box). no problem under any condition. faster, positive, intuitive. costs, but worth it.
i had it installed over a year ago in my 10 gt3 and with over 14,000 miles on it, would do it again in a heartbeat.
can't miss shift, period.

Quick Reply: Trouble shifting into 3rd gear from 2nd at high RPM