Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

PS2 for regular driving?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 06:11 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts
Default PS2 for regular driving?

As almost all of my GT3 driving is done off track on local twisties and in varying weather conditions, I'm contemplating saving the cup tires for the track and change to the 235/35 and 305/30 PS2's for my regular driving.

I'd like to know what I may be compromising or gaining. Any other info from those who have made the switch would also be appreciated.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:21 PM
Mark FM
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

I have been running the PS-2s for the last couple of years and have nothing but good things to say! I live in the rainy Northwest and they are awesome tires in the rain and they are more than adequate on the street in the dry. I have two sets of rims and tires and so when I do go to the track, I put on my other set with the original Pilot Cups. I am sure that you will wear a set of PS-2s out pretty quickly with a couple of track days, but for street use, I do not think you will be disappointed!

Mark
Old 01-04-2010, 06:29 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 14 Posts

As often stated on RL, the Cups lose a lot when hitting standing water, (or ice). PS2's provide a lot of confidence in the wet.
With Cups, I have occasionally had the tail come out, when hitting standing water. It feels like an ice patch. Slows you down a great deal. With the PS2's on, the twisties are still a joy in the 3.
Caught in Birmingham during an ice storm at one DE, with the Cups. Lordy, that was treacherous.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:23 PM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Do a search

This has been beaten to death......
Old 01-04-2010, 07:35 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GJ
Do a search

This has been beaten to death......
Even as recently as yesterday. Don't you read the other posts???
The above is your original post...

Whooaaa! It doesn't take long for someone on this forum to smack someone hard for a slight oversight! You really should not have wasted your time replying to this post if it was of no interest to you.
Btw, I have done a search and I do read other posts and was simply asking whether others had anything to add.

Moderators, please feel free to delete this thread if you deem it useless.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:05 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

If you are looking for tires for the road, you may want to consider cheaper makes as well....Hankook makes a great tire in that size and it works well for the road.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:26 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark FM
I have been running the PS-2s for the last couple of years and have nothing but good things to say! I live in the rainy Northwest and they are awesome tires in the rain and they are more than adequate on the street in the dry. I have two sets of rims and tires and so when I do go to the track, I put on my other set with the original Pilot Cups. I am sure that you will wear a set of PS-2s out pretty quickly with a couple of track days, but for street use, I do not think you will be disappointed!

Mark
Mark, that's good to know. On the PS2's do you notice any handling issues when on the street? and do you make any alignment changes ?

Originally Posted by fjpdds
As often stated on RL, the Cups lose a lot when hitting standing water, (or ice). PS2's provide a lot of confidence in the wet.
With Cups, I have occasionally had the tail come out, when hitting standing water. It feels like an ice patch. Slows you down a great deal. With the PS2's on, the twisties are still a joy in the 3.
Caught in Birmingham during an ice storm at one DE, with the Cups. Lordy, that was treacherous.
That's good to know. I'm still getting to know the car and have been somewhat apprehensive about pushing it in the wet (with cups). In the wet the tail has gone out somewhat easily and hence my investigating tire options.

The cups during the DE in the wet must have been an eyeopener! but I'm sure an amazing amount of experience accumulated.

Originally Posted by malmasri
If you are looking for tires for the road, you may want to consider cheaper makes as well....Hankook makes a great tire in that size and it works well for the road.
Hmmm, really hadn't considered anything other than PS2's. I'll do some research. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:38 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,301 Likes on 604 Posts

Originally Posted by Haku
The above is your original post...

Whooaaa! It doesn't take long for someone on this forum to smack someone hard for a slight oversight! You really should not have wasted your time replying to this post if it was of no interest to you.
Btw, I have done a search and I do read other posts and was simply asking whether others had anything to add.

Moderators, please feel free to delete this thread if you deem it useless.
I hope they won't, because old questions sometimes have new answers.

Both on the new Turbo and the Boxster Spyder, I have been VERY impressed with the new N-spec Bridgestone Potenza RE050A — and would try it before the PS2s, another fave. The Turbo uses them in 235/35R19 and 305/30R19 sizing.

pete
Old 01-04-2010, 08:38 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Haku
Mark, that's good to know. On the PS2's do you notice any handling issues when on the street? and do you make any alignment changes ?

That's good to know. I'm still getting to know the car and have been somewhat apprehensive about pushing it in the wet (with cups). In the wet the tail has gone out somewhat easily and hence my investigating tire options.

The cups during the DE in the wet must have been an eyeopener! but I'm sure an amazing amount of experience accumulated.

Hmmm, really hadn't considered anything other than PS2's. I'll do some research. Thanks for the heads-up.
I've had three other Porsches with PS2s and love them. They do well in the rain and offer good mileage; probably 3/1 over the Corsas. I will be swapping my new GT3 sneakers for a set of PS2s.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:58 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

How is the tradlife on a N-spec Bridgestone Potenza RE050A compared to a PS2?

What about a PZero Rosso?

I too and looking for a more street friendly tire
Old 01-04-2010, 09:12 PM
mxdave74
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 here on the prowess of the PS2, even in the wet. You will NOT be dissatisfied by this tire! I just wish they weren't about the most expensive tire out there, but then that's Michelin for ya. On my street wheel, I replaced PS2s with a set Sumitomo (almost embarressed to say, actually) HTRZ III's that are half the price and I'd say that drive feel is probably 90-95% of the PS2. Which is to say it is one very good tire for the price. I am, however, likely to go back to the PS2 after these are burned up.

I was heartened to see Bridgestone pole positions coming on Turbo's recently, as I was hoping that meant Porsche had pushed them to drop the weight on that tire created for our cars. Anyone know? I looked at RE050A PPs when i bought this last set and passed. This was pre "Porsche Spec design". If memory serves they were 2-3 lbs heavier than N spec PS2... yikes!
Old 01-04-2010, 09:20 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

This trip was done on PS2s.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...the-video.html
Old 01-04-2010, 10:25 PM
JAMS
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The new RS will have extremely limited tire choices.. 335/30/19 and 245/35/19. Not much to choose from in those sizes!
Old 01-04-2010, 10:40 PM
Clifton
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by malmasri
Not pushing the Hankooks, but they are half the cost of the PS2 and do well on the street. My M3 had such aggressive camber I threw a set on there just to lower the cost of annual replacement.

I've been fairly please with them, with the exception that they are greasy when new and flat spot after only a couple of days of sitting. Flat spots go away after a few miles.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:38 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

I'm thankful to all for the info. I think from a point of confidence I'm most likely to go with the PS2's. None of you have mentioned any negatives (except the price) about them.

The following maybe another silly question and may prompt someone to yell out at me again but here goes. Does the Porsche warranty get compromised by the type of tire one uses? specifically the Bridgestones or Hankooks?

Quick Reply: PS2 for regular driving?