Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

iPod options with CDR-30 head unit and no PCM

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 01:30 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default iPod options with CDR-30 head unit and no PCM

I ordered my 10' GT3 with the Auxillery input. I got a dual RCA jack cable and plugged my iPod in and found a couple of issues. It does play, but the quality is not very good. I have to crank up the volume on the head unit to listen to my iPod versus radio or CD. Are there any other more integrated iPod connectivity options available for this head unit?
Old 01-04-2010, 01:48 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,664 Likes on 2,330 Posts

what you described is normal.
my BMW and GMC has the same double RCA jack, there's a vol difference b/n radio and ipod. adj the vol on ipond to see if you can match. on my BMW i can match vol to radio buy adj ipod vol. on GMC no working.

my pepper GTS has PCM. but you still have the ipod vs radio/cd vol difference issue. and worse yet, the gps voice.

i am afraid it's something you can't fix.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:33 AM
Sayyar
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm Afraid that this is the case with all Auxiliary inputs for ipods in almost all the cars...
i have been looking for solutions for this problem for quite a long time...

i guess this will never be resolve! gotta wait for something new to come out to replace or solve this problem.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:35 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Has anyone tried to use a cradle connector auxillery cable? I say there is an adapter cable that goes from the cradle connector to an RCA jack. I wanted to find out if anyone has tried it and if the signal is any clearer or louder?
Old 01-04-2010, 08:57 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,312 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
Has anyone tried to use a cradle connector auxillery cable? I say there is an adapter cable that goes from the cradle connector to an RCA jack. I wanted to find out if anyone has tried it and if the signal is any clearer or louder?

I ended up with crap iPod sound in my Boxster with an RCA going to the CDR220's CD-changer input.

The solution was to buy and install of the of the cigarette-lighter dealios with a cradle connector, a 1/4-inch output, and a volume ****. It was hideous, so I ran new wires to a commonly available auxiliary cigarette lighter/outlet and then hid the mess as neatly as I could in the center tunnel. The sound was VASTLY improved.

I'd take some pictures, but the car is long gone. Hope this helps!

pete
Old 01-04-2010, 10:31 PM
Clifton
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
It does play, but the quality is not very good. I have to crank up the volume on the head unit to listen to my iPod versus radio or CD.
While I generally agree the aux input is lacking, have you tried turning up the volume on your iPod first? The aux input plugs into the same jack as your iPod's headset port and thus your iPod controls the signal output.

I plug my iPhone in all the time and it sounds great, however, changing songs via the iPhone controls is lame.

Also, from what I understand about the CDR30, it is a closed loop system and after the fact stereo upgrades are not possible. Hope some clever mouse trap proves this to be wrong.

Last edited by Clifton; 01-04-2010 at 10:32 PM. Reason: type-o
Old 01-05-2010, 12:41 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Originally Posted by Clifton
While I generally agree the aux input is lacking, have you tried turning up the volume on your iPod first? The aux input plugs into the same jack as your iPod's headset port and thus your iPod controls the signal output.

I plug my iPhone in all the time and it sounds great, however, changing songs via the iPhone controls is lame.

Also, from what I understand about the CDR30, it is a closed loop system and after the fact stereo upgrades are not possible. Hope some clever mouse trap proves this to be wrong.
I had it turned up to to the limit on my iPod Nano. That was the first thing I tried.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:01 PM
Tim Kay
Racer

I had an '07 M6 which had an "iPod adapter" that replaced the CD changer. The volume was distributed through the cars sound system via the iDrive. It was the shiz-niz!

Does Porsche or anyone make something similar to install for the '08 GT3RS rather than use the simple aux?

Quick Reply: iPod options with CDR-30 head unit and no PCM