Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

2011 gt3/rs

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 01:27 PM
ands8
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was at the Silverstone RS preview event, attended by Andreas Preuninger.

He stated that all 80 attendees have a confirmed order with deliveries from Feb 2010 to Feb 2011. Thus confirming an MY11 build.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:31 PM
chago996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's my take on the next gen. Gt3, it will need to have a new engine, either based on the 9A1 engine or something new. And here's my reasoning why; have you seen the new 9A1 engine and how it fits in the engine bay of the 997.2? Its a quite shorter in the vertical dimension, there's a lot of open space above the engine, and looking at spy pics of the next 998, they will probably take advantage of this smaller dimension and extra space above it. From those spy pics, it looks like they have improved the rear hump that is obviously there on current convertibles to accomodate the opened top and essential mechanicals for it. It definitely looks better in the spy pics and the smaller dimensioned 9A1 engine is most definitely a part of why. Which means that the current Gt3 engine will most likely not fit this new chassis and body of the 998. Which means, it will be based on the 9A1 or they will have to redo the Gt3 (Gt1). The new turbo is already based on the 9A1, so this current 997.2 Gt3 maybe the last of the split-case Gt1 based engines with dry sump. Yes I know, my brain tends to wander every now and then!
Old 01-06-2010, 03:23 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,593 Likes on 2,339 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
1. The regular GT3 is out of production, hence why there are no more allocations. Production was cut way back this go around, < 500 cars.
2. The factory is switching over to produce the GT3 RS starting this month. RS production is expected to also be < 500.
3. The RS is supposed to complete production in May to June.
4. No 11' GT3 or GT3 RS has been annouced.
5. There will not be a PDK version on a GT1 based engine. Porsche does not have a version of the consumer PDK that will bolt up to the GT1 block. Don't expect PDK unless it is going to use a 9A1 series engine (997.2 Carrera/Carrera S based). Hence, the Turbo did not get PDK until the 10' model switched to the 9A1 engine.
6. The rumor I got from my dealer is the next specialty car will be a 11' GT2 RS based on the new Turbo with the 9A1 engine. Word is it will have PDK and the sport/paddle shift wheel from the new turbo. Given the parts now available, this could be very viable with dynamic engine mounts from the Turbo, center lock wheels from the RS (for the wide body).
I think/hope that given the success of the 997.2 GT3 and the improving economy that Porsche will do another p.run of the cars this year ...

otherwise I'm screwed!
Old 01-06-2010, 04:15 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

My guess is that they are done I'm affraid..

You can probably buy mine as soon as I need to make the first payment
Old 01-06-2010, 04:20 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
My guess is that they are done I'm affraid..

You can probably buy mine as soon as I need to make the first payment
My dealer seems to think that they may do another build this year (of the base not the RS) ... but it's all guesswork.

I agree it probably depends on what's next, and when ... we'll see.

maybe I will watch the maritime blue car at pioneer in SD to see if they get real about asking $13k over MSRP and get that ...
Old 01-06-2010, 04:30 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

My guess is only the GT2 RS for '11 and new 998's starting in 2012.
Others will know better than me, I could be entirely wrong.

13 over MSRP! LOL. At least you are sure it is not going anywhere...
Old 01-06-2010, 04:34 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
My guess is only the GT2 RS for '11 and new 998's starting in 2012.
Others will know better than me, I could be entirely wrong.

13 over MSRP! LOL. At least you are sure it is not going anywhere...
Yeah I think it's pretty balsy for a dealer to take a PTS car then stick a premium on it like that's going to move it ...

http://pioneer.porschedealer.com/201...26839/info.php

I priced the options (minus the PTS) out on the car config, and it came in at 124,xxx + 5500 for PTS puts it's sticker in the 129,xxx range, not 141, 245!
Old 01-06-2010, 05:16 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Way off topic: I think they need to do a speedster version of the GT3. They haven't done a 911 speedster since the 90's. They should make one with the GT3 engine, call it the Speedster GT or the GT Speedster. You can tell I have too much time on my hands.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:44 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
Hurts their value? Well of course when demand outstrips supply that's macro-economics 101!

Now on the other foot who really cares about value here? Maybe a car collector. And the typical car collector won't be putting too many miles on their car let alone track days! Unless of course you have the complete opposite where you have an individual who only does track events; and that's the only place the car gets it's miles. Even to the point where it is trailored in.

Now most folks would agree that all these cars were meant to be driven. And it sure is a sad thing seeing an awesome Porsche just sitting in a garage somewhere just collecting dust.

In November only one GT3 was sold in north America. ONE!!! Does anyone know why that is? Because everyone was running around looking for an RS! GT3 sales are picking back up again because those who can't or don't want to pay the rediculous fees over MSRP are finally pulling the trigger. Just about anyone who is going to get or want a GT3 / RS will research the hell out of it! There is no other car community that is as well researched and educated about their cars than the Porsche Republic!

Now here is how the issue gets resolved. To hell with the collectors and those who want to be in an exclusive club. That's right I said it. Make the RS GT3 an option that you can check when ordering the car. Only makes sense and you won't have a bunch of unhappy folks running around trying to avoid getting reemed for trying to buy an exclusive car. There is no reason why Porsche cannot do this.

If this could happen I know a majority of the Threes coming to our shores would be RSes.

Me I'm still waiting on getting a new turbo and getting a 6GT3 and taking it to Dan and Alex at Sharkwerks for the 3.9 treatment. Then again waiting on the new 928 based on the Panomera. Talking about performance that will rival the 911!
Well, at least we now know that 57 rather 1 GT3's were sold in North America in November.

Quick Reply: 2011 gt3/rs