Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

what ever happened to the GTR?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 04:14 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have encountered a couple of GTR's at track events and they rarely return, I guess they feel guilty or afraid of tracking such an icon. My respect goes to the Corvettes, they are just as track happy as the Porsche fanatics.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:05 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,293 Likes on 615 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
CJ
You ARE the sleeper KING!!
Originally Posted by bob_dallas
Those are great cars. A friend of mine who has a very nice car collection has one for a daily driver as well. He is constantly driving around town for work and hauling small things so he wanted something that was versatile but fun.
yeah it's a rad little car. After racing open wheel cars and also having a Carrera GT there's no need to justify putting more money into other stuff, just need a fun little car that's easy for babes to park (last GF tried to scrape the side mirror off in my F250)
Old 12-27-2009, 05:48 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 230 Posts

The few GTRs that I've seen at the track have put in very respectable lap times. I do not know any of the owners so I wouldn't know how hard they're pushing it.

I find the hatred of the GTR to be downright peculiar. Like it or not, Nissan put together a technical tour de force that rivals most p-cars in performance. I realize that the aesthetics and driver interaction may not be many people's cup of tea, but I find the need to bash the car to be very odd. I mean seriously,.....WHO CARES?
Old 12-27-2009, 06:02 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kit_Chris
Yes, old age is a frequent cause of dementia, and even more amusingly, selective anesthesia!
I do believe you meant, "selective amnesia".

In any case....where is your GTR??....I actually drove one and felt like it was robotic at best...I am more of a "hands in the motor" type of guy...
Old 12-27-2009, 06:12 PM
GuyR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm really not sure why this thread was started to be honest, why re-start an argument that has been done to death pointlessly on just about every internet forum.

I will say however that there are now over 700 GTRs delivered in the UK and as yet there has not been one engine failure or gearbox failure....

My GTR has now done 8,000 miles including 180-190mph on the autobahn many times, has been driven over the Furka pass into Switzerland, spent two day on the 'ring (NS not GP), has done a day at Silverstone on the GP track and another day at Snetterton. It has required zero maintenance beyond scheduled oil etc. By comparison, my 996 GT2 had required a new complete gearbox ($17k) and also a pair of PCCB rotors ($11k) by the same mileage!

Does that make the GTR unbreakable and the GT2 a joke - no of course not, but facts don't seem to matter in internet debates do they?????
Old 12-27-2009, 07:08 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guy, you miss the GT2?? Perfect world is the GT2 and GTR, I might add a GTR lol, might spice up the winter for me
Old 12-27-2009, 07:19 PM
GuyR
Racer

Originally Posted by iLLM3
Guy, you miss the GT2?? Perfect world is the GT2 and GTR, I might add a GTR lol, might spice up the winter for me
Yes in some circumstances. The GTR is the better road-car and better on a wet N'ring. The GT2 was the purer dry-track car and in Ruf form was much faster than the GTR in a straight-line.

Perfect world would be GTR and GT3 RS. GTR for road/daily driver/road-trips and GT3 RS for trackdays.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:49 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Just out of curiosity has neone seen a gtr grenade at the track. I've seen a few at the track but none are driven hard. Mike
earlier this year... GTR went into 2 mph limp mode... tranny light on I believe
Driver made two calls -
one to the dealer who picked it up on a flatbed and took it back to the dealership
second call to a friend to go to drivers house and get his GT3 and bring it to the track so he could finish the day...

we were all scratching our heads wondering why he brought the GTR in the first place
Old 12-27-2009, 08:00 PM
Kit_Chris
Racer

Originally Posted by leif997
I do believe you meant, "selective amnesia".

In any case....where is your GTR??....I actually drove one and felt like it was robotic at best...I am more of a "hands in the motor" type of guy...
Actually, selective anesthesia is precisely what I chose to write, but thanks for trying to read my thoughts. Since you appreciate semantics, I may add that I initially considered writing selective analgesia, but found "selective anesthesia" to have more music to it.

No problem with the robotic feel, I found precisely the same, although I'm sure you quickly get over this initial remoteness and learn to use the car's dynamic abilities in much the same way we learned to handle heavier and more sophisticated Porsches over the years. If we were all looking for a "hands in the motor" type of experience, we'd all be driving 930s, not 997s. There is every reason to believe performance car engineering will be moving in the GTR's direction, electronics is one of only few areas of design that can still be improved upon. Whether you regard this favorably or not is another matter.

As for the motives to start this thread, aside from being entertaining, it's an occasion to comfort oneself in the blind faith for a given manufacturer. Should an outside contender with seemingly modest credentials challenge an established classic, it's always a good idea to indulge in a form of mockery or another, and to turn non-participants in the collective abuse into self-hating Porsche enthusiasts. And all this from the people who like to tell you about manhood! You gotta laugh!

Regards,
Chris
Old 12-27-2009, 08:17 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by GuyR
Yes in some circumstances. The GTR is the better road-car and better on a wet N'ring. The GT2 was the purer dry-track car and in Ruf form was much faster than the GTR in a straight-line.

Perfect world would be GTR and GT3 RS. GTR for road/daily driver/road-trips and GT3 RS for trackdays.
Well, I guess I may agree.. I have wanted a GT3 since before I even bought my RUF GT2, I had a Cobalt Blue spec GT3 and chose the GT2 instead. Love the HELL out of the gt2, for all of these years always wanted to switch to a GT3/RS, just never "could" ... I think the GT3/RS would be more satisfying on the track as a whole, the GT2 gives you a satisfaction far different, in a "I need and want to progress to MANHANDLE this beast" type of way lol...

Glad to hear your GTR has held up with you driving it very hard and for those miles. It scared me to think with my type of driving, what may happen (if I were to ever get a Stradale as well).. My friends have had issues with their GTR's, they drive their car's HARD, but the GTR's not so much as they were DD's to their other fun cars ... I guess as with any car, it's a crap shoot, some can be flawless others just a nightmare!
Old 12-27-2009, 09:34 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

love my gt3 but when lease is over next year will replace with gtr bc for same money as new porsche i can have gtr for track or foul weather AND xke roadster for nice days.

its about value for me, not necessarily which is best car.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:16 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kit_Chris
Yes, old age is a frequent cause of dementia, and even more amusingly, selective anesthesia! Where have you been all this time?! And which sports car map are you trying to decipher?

Last time I looked, sports cars were sold off at substantial discounts, some manufacturers got so burned they were bought out, and the GTR's production is still sold-out and used prices aren't budging. Amusing I know..

Regards,
Chris
I think you mean amnesia....
The gtr will be the next stealth/gt3000 or whatever it was called. Nobody really gives a sh#t
Old 12-27-2009, 11:28 PM
lig
Racer

Originally Posted by TT Gasman
I think you mean amnesia....
The gtr will be the next stealth/gt3000 or whatever it was called. Nobody really gives a sh#t
Not even remotely close to being a good analogy.

GT-R is a game changer - 3000GT most certainly was not.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:56 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Havent heard a word from the nancies lately. Talk about premature ejadualtion!
I saw a article about the Lexus LFA got me to thinking. Looked like a GTR copy.
I put it this way...The GTR is a fast car tons of technology and it is a great car...looks wise it is not my idea of a sports car.

So the main reason the GTR has fizzeled out is lack of passion from the cars buyers. Porsche like other brands (Ferrari, Corvette ect) have passionate people into the cars.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:25 PM
NelsonF
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by iLLM3
I have similar sentiments as Guy. Enjoyed my modded 996 GT2 greatly. My 2010 GT-R has a completely different vibe but is surprisingly competent nontheless. With a simple exhaust mod(downpipe and midpipe) and new programming (all for about 4k installed), I am very close to the same performance as my GT700 GT2 in much more usable DD car. Enjoying the change but I'd still like to put a new GT3RS in my driveway.

Last edited by NelsonF; 12-28-2009 at 08:03 PM.

Quick Reply: what ever happened to the GTR?