Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

what ever happened to the GTR?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 01:15 AM
YA911Fan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
I also dislike rattles and squeaks and will pay money for a car which feels like it was carved from a single block of steel. But, that's just me
Me too. But you're clearly not talking about Porsches.

My last several 911s including a GT3 have been riddled with squeaks and buzzes which the dealer couldn't fix. Porsche can learn a thing or two from the Japanese about securing wires and other noise makers. Carved from a single block of steel they're not.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:19 PM
1198r
Pro

As my Avator shows, I am currently a GTR owner! I take delivery of 2010 RS in July. I CAN'T WAIT!

I too struggle with porsche v GTR debate and am somewhat surprised by some of the negative comments on this (the GT3/RS) forum comments. After all, we on this forum, of all car enthusiasts in the pursuit of drive perfection should be more understanding of each others ride. Our league and interest is not of the norm is it? We all want to own and drive a car that is at the pinnacle of driver involvement, performance, handling, feel, power, looks and perhaps last badge...

I am a petrol head. I have raced motorbikes. I admire all "focused" cars - none more so than the RS. A boyhood dream. Finally to arrive. The GTR is of course a completely different animal but I find it no less focused than the RS. It is the Japanese interpretation. Yes, it is less track focused than the RS but its track time (lets leave out that debate) on the ring proves it is also a good track car. Its technology is awesome and yes makes lesser drivers look good, but to really get the best out of it, you have to be a good driver. Difference between RS/GTR is on RS you can switch all driver aids off (happy days) and for me, the GTR should have that too. All wheel drive v rear wheel drive. I will take rear wheel every time for sure but all wheel drive has its fun moments too! Some say the GTR has no character/robotic. I understand this. For sure, compared to an RS yes it would. I think the debate would be applicable to all turbo cars though. The GTR does have many mechanical sounds and is not characterless. Yes, there has been negative press about some reliability/warranty issues. Some Nissan should be ashamed of. Others, if your going to tune a GTR and a totally new version, expect things to go pop on the journey! Me, mine has done 20,000 miles in 18 months and its not missed a beat. Its been tuned too. Its been driven up and down from Dubai to Abu Dhabi on a truly horrendous road (life threatening) and seen conditions from tropical storm being nearly washed away to 55 deg c. Its been tracked and maxed out and then taken the boys to golf! Its seen everything but snow! Its done four wheel drifting around islands and standing starts against the flash dudes in Dubai humbling them once or twice.

Sorry, I am digressing. What I am trying to say is we are all keen enthusiasts/racers who should appreciate any vehicle that takes things to the level we want plus some. For me both the GT3/RS and GTR do this - and all cars for a reasonable price (yes I do include the RS). Perhaps because the GTR was aimed at beating the 911 turbo this debate has overflowed to this forum, and I would understand if some of the comments came from that forum - but this one... I am disappointed.

These cars take our desire for driving pleasure to a totally different place compared to others and surely for this reason we should not mock each other. I thoroughly respect anyone who, no matter what marque they drive, enjoys their car and even more so the extreme versions. Even more so again when they track/race them.

I cannot wait for my RS to arrive. The wait is unbearable . When I am in my RS and ing and I see a GTR, there will be part of me that wants one...
Old 04-09-2010, 04:24 PM
fun2k
Racer

Originally Posted by 1198r
As my Avator shows, I am currently a GTR owner! I take delivery of 2010 RS in July. I CAN'T WAIT!

I too struggle with porsche v GTR debate and am somewhat surprised by some of the negative comments on this (the GT3/RS) forum comments. After all, we on this forum, of all car enthusiasts in the pursuit of drive perfection should be more understanding of each others ride. Our league and interest is not of the norm is it? We all want to own and drive a car that is at the pinnacle of driver involvement, performance, handling, feel, power, looks and perhaps last badge...

I am a petrol head. I have raced motorbikes. I admire all "focused" cars - none more so than the RS. A boyhood dream. Finally to arrive. The GTR is of course a completely different animal but I find it no less focused than the RS. It is the Japanese interpretation. Yes, it is less track focused than the RS but its track time (lets leave out that debate) on the ring proves it is also a good track car. Its technology is awesome and yes makes lesser drivers look good, but to really get the best out of it, you have to be a good driver. Difference between RS/GTR is on RS you can switch all driver aids off (happy days) and for me, the GTR should have that too. All wheel drive v rear wheel drive. I will take rear wheel every time for sure but all wheel drive has its fun moments too! Some say the GTR has no character/robotic. I understand this. For sure, compared to an RS yes it would. I think the debate would be applicable to all turbo cars though. The GTR does have many mechanical sounds and is not characterless. Yes, there has been negative press about some reliability/warranty issues. Some Nissan should be ashamed of. Others, if your going to tune a GTR and a totally new version, expect things to go pop on the journey! Me, mine has done 20,000 miles in 18 months and its not missed a beat. Its been tuned too. Its been driven up and down from Dubai to Abu Dhabi on a truly horrendous road (life threatening) and seen conditions from tropical storm being nearly washed away to 55 deg c. Its been tracked and maxed out and then taken the boys to golf! Its seen everything but snow! Its done four wheel drifting around islands and standing starts against the flash dudes in Dubai humbling them once or twice.

Sorry, I am digressing. What I am trying to say is we are all keen enthusiasts/racers who should appreciate any vehicle that takes things to the level we want plus some. For me both the GT3/RS and GTR do this - and all cars for a reasonable price (yes I do include the RS). Perhaps because the GTR was aimed at beating the 911 turbo this debate has overflowed to this forum, and I would understand if some of the comments came from that forum - but this one... I am disappointed.

These cars take our desire for driving pleasure to a totally different place compared to others and surely for this reason we should not mock each other. I thoroughly respect anyone who, no matter what marque they drive, enjoys their car and even more so the extreme versions. Even more so again when they track/race them.

I cannot wait for my RS to arrive. The wait is unbearable . When I am in my RS and ing and I see a GTR, there will be part of me that wants one...
I agree 100% i am an ahem ex-gtr owner.i dont why people hate this car so much,it is frankly one of the best cars for the money and one that i remmember most, not the turbo or f430 or murci.infact the handling and feel of that car to me felt better than my gt3 until ofcoarse i got the alingment work done on the gt3.

Its funny when people criticise about this car,for e.g there was talk about understeer compared to porsche (flame suit initializing) and tbh i never got understeer unless i was going 9/10 or more(can be cured with a bit more neg camber).where as the gt3 on factory alignment understeered like its on ice.The gtr can be pushed on the street with a lot more confidence and safety net where as the gt3 feels slightly unsettled if you want to slow down mid corner and you need ***** to really push it near the limit and an emty scull.you get a huge amounts of grip when youre on the accelerator ,lift off and you loose a lot of it so its sort of more involving in that you have to work for it and also the low end torque urges you to rev it like crazy.

ofcourse im not saying gtr is perfect, for starters

1.i didnt like the ride quality at all(like in anyother car with runflats but more so coupled with the very stiff suspension).

2.i dont like the low gearing especially with the paddle shifting it gets to repetitive later on(i alway drive on manual mode).if you could shift with the shifter like in a 335i(excellent gearbox though not as quick as dual clutch) that would be much more exciting.

3.the weight wasnt much of an issue as the size of it was.it really feels huge when manuvering tight spaces and i prefer small sports cars like the gt3 or cayman.

Both these cars have a different feel but they are both equally amazing and enjoyable(not when cruising).i love both cars but if i had to choose id go with the gt3,reason being the ride quility and manual shifting for me,oh, and that exhaust note how can i forget that one.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:00 AM
dsu*
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1198r

+1 Current owner of GTR + Future owner of RS (less than 2 weeks).
Old 04-10-2010, 06:09 AM
1198r
Pro

Originally Posted by dsu*
+1 Current owner of GTR + Future owner of RS (less than 2 weeks).
Hey that's cool! Look forward to your comparisons. Let's keep in touch
Old 04-10-2010, 09:23 AM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

EVO and Chris Harris just pitted New 911 Turbo, R8 V10, and GTR... guess which he liked?

http://www.evo.co.uk/videos/supercar...tr_part_1.html

http://www.evo.co.uk/videos/supercar...tr_part_2.html

Quick Reply: what ever happened to the GTR?