Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 RS as daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 11:34 PM
BGA23
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default GT3 RS as daily driver?

Let me start by saying my daily driving is only around 4K per year or so. I didn't track my 997 C2S but I am not opposed to it, just never did it. I had been planning on an 07 or 08 GT3 but now I'm thinking about an RS - I love the look of the widebody. Am I crazy to try and use this as my DD? If I don't think I'm going to track it am I just better off saving some $ and just getting a GT3?
Old 12-25-2009, 11:38 PM
dertub
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok as long as you don't see any snow or ice. Still, I don't see it that way. My '07 RS and my '04 GT3 only see sunny days on a part-time basis.
Old 12-25-2009, 11:40 PM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was going to drive my RS sparingly and keep it waxed for the next ******* who owns it. I am sitting at a funeral the other day and it hit me. Drive it and drive it a lot! Not daily, but a lot. I'll let my kids worry about restoring it!

Last edited by texasviany; 12-25-2009 at 11:41 PM. Reason: gammar
Old 12-26-2009, 12:14 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BGA23
Let me start by saying my daily driving is only around 4K per year or so. I didn't track my 997 C2S but I am not opposed to it, just never did it. I had been planning on an 07 or 08 GT3 but now I'm thinking about an RS - I love the look of the widebody. Am I crazy to try and use this as my DD? If I don't think I'm going to track it am I just better off saving some $ and just getting a GT3?
I daily drive mine. I don't mind the suspension and noise, but the ground clearance poses some significant problems. I can't drive to my favorite restaurant any more because my car simply cannot make it into the parking lot because the slope is too steep. I scrape the car twice every day, minimum, once as I leave my driveway and once as I leave the parking garage at work. I'm willing to endure it, mostly because I put thousands of track miles a year on it, but I can totally understand why someone else might not.

To be perfectly honest, if you don't plan to track the car then I'd say that there's not much point to buying a GT3 at all (RS or not). The differences between a Carrera S and a GT3 are difficult to discern on the street. On the track the GT3 is sublime, but if you're keeping it on the street I think you'll be less happy with the GT3.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:23 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

20k miles on my RS in 13 months.
DD the RS is fine. the car is quite comfortable.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:41 AM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The real question here is not if the RS can handle being a DD, but will the RS die a slow death of boredom. Why would you buy an RS if you have no intention of going to the track and learning how to really drive????? That's why Porsche made the RS. Sounds to me like you should keep your current car or buy a Turbo which is more of a boulevard cruiser.

My $.02.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:16 AM
prg
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your daily co
Old 12-26-2009, 03:06 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Of course it's doable but is it a good idea? ... nah

There are alot of A-hole out there love to take a swipe at your nice RS for kicks. I live in a pretty quiet town and people are extremely nice so I thought it will be OK to stop by Safeway to pick up some dessert for wife. Sure enough, someone push a shopping cart right at my RS (the cart was tilt on it's side) and I was gone for no more than 5 minutes. Luckily no dent and I had clear bra so I was able to buff out the smears This never happen to my Honda Odyssey and I shop at super Walmart all the time lol

Off topic - Hey dertub. Who is that lady in your Avatar?

Last edited by mikymu; 12-26-2009 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:33 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

I drive 8-10K miles a year, daily commute is about 20 miles.
GT3 and RS drive the same on the street, my new RS will also be daily driver replacing GT3.
Buy the one you like most.

I think the car is plenty comfortable enough, I drive with the exhaust flap plugged out, so to still enjoy the noise without going high RPM.

Florida roads are pretty smooth, so are AZ roads, I see no problem.

I park it everywhere in between cars, no one ever dinged it yet. Luck maybe..Ot white is less obvious then the orange and green..

The front spoiler gets scraped a lot, but mine has the CUP front spoiler and is probably 1" lower than it needs te be for street driving..Just ignore the crunching sound and buy new lips in bulk.

Only begative is that I do not valey-park it, or if I must, I park the car and keep the key.

If you don't plan on tracking the car, you will be happier with any other wide body for less money in more comfort and no performance penalty on the road.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:50 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It doesn't matter that a C2S is as capable as a GT3 on the street. The GT3 is just more horny. Driving to the grocery store will be more exciting in a GT3. With that said, get the RS if it gets you excited whether you track it or not.

I was almost killed when struck by a car not so long ago. Thankfully, I recovered very, very well and will not second think my new GT3 dd, even if it never sees a track.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:56 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

I was almost killed when struck by a car not so lomg ago. Thankfully, I recovered very, very well and will not second think my new GT3 dd, even if it never sees a track.
911dev; Glad to read you are OK. Makes you think about life!!
Point well taken, the GT3 is exciting car to drive, also on the street. OP should be fine for 4K a year, but with a nice exhaust, other 911's are also exciting and easier to live with for many non track junkies..

Personally I would not drive a GT3 if I would never track it. Other torqey turbo and or V8 / V12 cars are very nice on the street, dare I say even more exciting..
Old 12-26-2009, 10:00 AM
richk
Drifting

Received 882 Likes on 366 Posts

If there was less traffic my RS would be my daily driver...it currently splits duty with my R8!
Old 12-26-2009, 10:12 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

we all have something to say about it, thats for sure.

My feeling is this:

as long as you leave the stock seats in it you will enjoy big smiles every time you take it out and everywhere you go you will get big smiles. (not alot of modern 911 porsches can draw as much attention as the RS due to color, wing, graphics.)

These cars are very comfortable. It surprises me everytime how such a lion on the track can be such a ***** cat on the street.

with less then 5000 miles a year you will not become overly concious of a loud color of orange or green if thats what you choose.

I DD my orange car, and sometime the loud paint is a little more attention then i want. But i DD alot and in parts of town that your parents warned you about as a child.

The prices are attractive. go get one.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:27 AM
BGA23
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm going to be see if I can pick one up and once I do I will also look into tracking it, after all, that is what it is made for. Once I get it I'm sure I'll have questions about where to begin the process of learning how to track it - maybe a Porsche driving school would be a good start.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:44 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

I'm going to be see if I can pick one up and once I do I will also look into tracking it, after all, that is what it is made for. Once I get it I'm sure I'll have questions about where to begin the process of learning how to track it - maybe a Porsche driving school would be a good start.
never hurts to exercise the car on the track. the fun will help justify the price

PCA is a good place to start me thinks....

Quick Reply: GT3 RS as daily driver?