Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 RS as daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 06:39 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Give a healthy respect to the car and check your ego at the door. Experienced guys in much lower hp cars will be passing you regularly at first. Get used to it and concentrate on you and the car.
That's probably the best tip of all. I've seen a stock Miata held up by a GT3 that wouldn't let him pass and drag raced him on the straights. The GT3 ended up going off track in a turn trying to stay ahead of the miata...
Old 12-29-2009, 06:52 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bob_dallas
I've seen a stock Miata held up by a GT3
Welcome to my world. It's even worse when it's your girlfriend driving the Miata.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:18 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Ha. In Boston it's tailgaiting and texting, often practiced simultaenously.
Hey, I was referring to the track. Where are you? I grew up in Medfield and still have family in East Boston
Old 01-01-2010, 06:15 PM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 17 Posts

It is an easy daily driver, when I first bought mine it was used every single day.

The front lip is a cheap replacement so forget about clearance issues, the seats... well I have the Carrera GT single piece carbon fibre optioned ones... zero issues and the seats are more comfortable to sit in even on longer distances than standard seats, noise is not an issue....

u get used to the clatter of the single mass though the car is slightly easier to stall than a standard car...

the rear perspex window does not create any further noise issues.

Clutch is easy as anything, especially if you grew up on older Porsches,

ride is OK though if the roads have a lot of pot holes etc it may get a bit taxing.... rear roll cage is only a pain in so far as you lose rear storage space as its harder to get things in and out of the rear... and the fixed back seats I have dont help the situation.

BUT.... driving it everytime is an occassion.... AND believe me, if you buy it, take it to the track.... please.... this car is absolutely amazing and only once it has seen some track will you ever understand what an amazing machine it is.... mine wears so many battle scars from the track that no daily road use damage would ever really matter.... as others have said.... my RS is absolutely no garage queen.... and when I finally drop dead I cant take it with me.... will leave it to my kids to restore it.... till then it wears every single battle scar I have put on it.... and its a badge of honour and tells my life adventures with it!

How's this for non garage queen rims....
Attached Images  
Old 01-01-2010, 06:20 PM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by malmasri
BGA23: Not sure how much track experience you have, but IMO the RS is NOT the car to track if you are a new to the track...It commands respect and if you are not careful it will get you embaressed quickly...I recommend you get a TT that is an excellent vehicle for what your intent...Should you decide on an RS, I hear the green has more power
I have a different take.... it may have a slightly steeper learning curve but so long as you are not crazy getting out on the track it will teach one far more about car balance and handling very quickly than any other car...

just start of slower and gradually the car will grow with you as your experience increases. Leave the ego at the entrance to the track and remember you want tot take the car home in one piece and not on a flat bed truck, and you will be fine...

Last edited by Harold; 01-01-2010 at 06:35 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:22 PM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
ok... here is my two cents.

you can start tracking with an RS. just take it easy and slow at first. it's not that hard to drive these cars.

in terms of comfort, the RS is pretty much a luxo barge, if you have driven 997, you will not find RS too loud or too hard, but keep in mind i am 40 years old and i used to drive my full spec miata to work with suit and tie... i also drove 600 miles non stop other than fuel and bathroom breaks in my exige.

it's really a versatile car, and you should be able to drive it anywhere. the chin spoiler scrape thing is blow out of proportion. i am in SF, we have the BEST road in the world, not.... if you slow down, just let it scrape, no prob. your ears will get used to the pitch, but really no damage other than cheap lip spoiler.

get it and you will be ;-)
ABSOLUTELY SPOT ON ADVICE!!!
Old 01-01-2010, 06:29 PM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by roberga
When I was with Mountain Rescue here in WA we would say the #1 cause of accidents is "testosterone poisoning ". The same can be said for DE, at least the offs that I have seen.
Absolutely...we call it imbalance.... an inbalance between the size of ones brain and what is sitting between the legs... hahaha...

but in reality the RS is dang safe... its all about driver control and ensuring one doesn't bring the ego to the track... there are guys that will run 4wd Japanese rockets that will have far greater entry speeds than we can muster and if we want to defy our cars physics for ego sake we can really end up a royal mess... for me its bringing my personal pride and joy to the track, making sure I take it back in one piece, and driving to my limits and not my cars.... as long as one adheres to that I believe the RS would be the car to get even as a first track day machine...
Old 01-02-2010, 08:47 AM
richk
Drifting

Received 883 Likes on 366 Posts

Mooty as always is spot on...

I have alot of cars and most days I reach for the RS keys. The sport seats are very comfortable, the navi gets you there, and the sounds from the sharky's bypass are second only to a cup car. I am on my second RS and I think overall it is the best car I have ever owned. I was thinking about selling my black RS and replacing it with green but I may keep the black car and buy a green one.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:06 PM
SDGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

I drove my GT3 daily to work and to and from track days! That's why we buy Porsches so we can do it all. Garages are for the Italian cars! BTW just ordered 2010 RS and plan the same for it!!

Quick Reply: GT3 RS as daily driver?