Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 RS as daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 11:48 AM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

BGA23: Not sure how much track experience you have, but IMO the RS is NOT the car to track if you are a new to the track...It commands respect and if you are not careful it will get you embaressed quickly...I recommend you get a TT that is an excellent vehicle for what your intent...Should you decide on an RS, I hear the green has more power
Old 12-26-2009, 12:21 PM
BGA23
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by malmasri
BGA23: Not sure how much track experience you have, but IMO the RS is NOT the car to track if you are a new to the track...It commands respect and if you are not careful it will get you embaressed quickly
Very good point, I have zero track experience.
Old 12-26-2009, 04:02 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If at all possible, you should test drive the vehicle. It's hard to really describe what it's like behind the wheel unless you experience it yourself. If it appeals to you after a test drive and you think you would be happy with it, go for it. In the end, it doesn't matter what other people think--you are the one that has to live with it.
Old 12-26-2009, 04:33 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

ok... here is my two cents.

you can start tracking with an RS. just take it easy and slow at first. it's not that hard to drive these cars.

in terms of comfort, the RS is pretty much a luxo barge, if you have driven 997, you will not find RS too loud or too hard, but keep in mind i am 40 years old and i used to drive my full spec miata to work with suit and tie... i also drove 600 miles non stop other than fuel and bathroom breaks in my exige.

it's really a versatile car, and you should be able to drive it anywhere. the chin spoiler scrape thing is blow out of proportion. i am in SF, we have the BEST road in the world, not.... if you slow down, just let it scrape, no prob. your ears will get used to the pitch, but really no damage other than cheap lip spoiler.

get it and you will be ;-)
Old 12-26-2009, 04:59 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

I traded in a 997.1 C4S for my GT3, while not a RS but they drive pretty much the same.

I have not tracked my car yet, not sure if I will. I do drive it every day. The suspension on normal rides like a C4S on sport mode. The clutch has a slightly sitffer feel than a C4S (it is a ton more stiff than a turbo).

Since I bought mine pre owned the spoiler was already scraped. When I pulled out of the dealership it scraped.....I have just got used to it.

The engine has loads more usuable torque and does not have the mid range dead spot that my C4S had. You don not have to shift nearly as much.

Make the mistake (or have the pleasure) of driving one. You will either love it or hate it. If you hate it you probably should get a turbo I was not even looking when I drove one, just did it for kicks. Once you feel the power of teh GT1 engine.....you are hooked.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:53 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Accidents on the track happen, they are not very common..but they do occur...there was a post in this forum not too long age about GT3's being the ones that mostly wreck on track????? Driver related ???? usually...I have seen an inexperienced GT3 driver put his car into the armco at the Glen and had to be Medevacuated and it was obvious that it was the driver.....all I am saying is that if you have not been on the track.....get a less powerful or an all wheel drive then move up to a GT3 RS.....
Old 12-28-2009, 02:06 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 762 Posts

you can start tracking with an RS. just take it easy and slow at first. it's not that hard to drive these cars.
I'm with Mooty on that.
I wish I would have started in a GT3 and saved myself the $$ in the process.
Just don't let go of the instructor too soon. You might get signed of solo, but it does not hurt to keep an instructor in the car. The GT3 is easy to drive, but it is fast, so if you make a mistake it could be the big one.

there was a post in this forum not too long age about GT3's being the ones that mostly wreck on track?????
I think relative to the quanity on track that honor goes to Ferrari's
Old 12-28-2009, 02:23 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ideally you want to start your tracking experience in smaller HP cars and work up from there. However, at the same time you don't want to be one of those car buyers that purchase a high performance vehicle and never learn how to drive and respect the car's capabilities. Buy the car you really like and then take the time/money to improve your driving skills.
My RS is not a DD, but I sure put the miles on this car and it always leaves me with a smile.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:53 AM
Sayyar
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmmmmm....
i would recommend that you get the new turbo....
the GT3 just won't satisfy your needs i guess...
Old 12-29-2009, 01:15 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would agree with Mooty. I think the myth is over-blown with these cars based on prior generations of 911s and other factors. Sure, the ideal is that you start lower and work your way up with cars but it's not a requirement for DEs. I would never recommend someone start racing with a GT3 cup but that is a whole different world.

Take it slow at first and you will be amazed at your progress. The 997 generation GT3s are all pretty easy cars to learn to drive with some good instruction and very rewarding. Buy the car that you want and use it how you want. If you do DE, you will be faster than most pretty quickly using only 80% of the car.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:25 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I think there are positives and negatives to learning in a car like the GT3. On the plus side, you'll develop a healthy appreciation for smooth throttle and brake very quickly. Learning in a lower powered car can lead to a heavy right foot which can be a challenge to un-learn when you later move to a car that has ample torque.

On the downside, I think it's much harder to develop the butt-feel for weight transfer in a car with a stiff suspension. It's a lot easier to learn what happens to your grip and balance under braking and acceleration in a car with a more complaint suspension. The transitions are easier for an inexperienced driver to detect and react to with a softer car.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:45 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

what Mooty said. With that are you talking about a 2010 RS. If so I would expect you missed the boat at getting one. If not: get a built in radar laser jammer and radar. Also remember to wear your monkey mask ;-)

As for tracking or even street use, it is a good idea to take a Porsche Club Drivers Skills Day. It is $20-$40 and you will be able to learn the car in a safe controlled location. Skid pad with water. Good luck

Last edited by roberga; 12-29-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:02 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

If the RS is going to be your first time track car I would suggest staying on street tires for a long while. A couple of sets. Sticky R compound tires will hinder your progress. Only when your street tires are howling at every corner (in control of course!) will you be ready for stickier tires.

Give a healthy respect to the car and check your ego at the door. Experienced guys in much lower hp cars will be passing you regularly at first. Get used to it and concentrate on you and the car. If you don't your car and the wall may become good friends. It doesn't have to be that way.

Don't be too horny to go solo and after you do get an instructor in your car a run or two an event to help your skills improve and redue bad habits.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:12 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

When I was with Mountain Rescue here in WA we would say the #1 cause of accidents is "testosterone poisoning ". The same can be said for DE, at least the offs that I have seen.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:42 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,864 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by roberga
When I was with Mountain Rescue here in WA we would say the #1 cause of accidents is "testosterone poisoning ".
Ha. In Boston it's tailgaiting and texting, often practiced simultaenously.

Quick Reply: GT3 RS as daily driver?