Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

garage lift

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 09:40 PM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by malmasri
American custom lift sells a custom made single post drive on lift which is real user friendly..PM your email and I will send you some pic's.
I have the AC single post lift. (You can see a couple of pics here) Only issue is, you usually can't use one of the passenger doors.

http://www.aclifts.com/parking/M1-65...%20FOR%20QUOTE

My neighbor who has spent 3 or 4 years planning his garage rebuild informed me that he is getting this one.

http://www.bendpak.com/bendpak-produ.../PL-6000X.aspx

Last edited by Asquared; 12-22-2009 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:55 PM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I will go with Rotary. Seems like the best. Not sure about bolting them down in earthquake country (where I live) Might be best to allow it to "Float" on the surface, there bye release energy. If I have read correctly, they invented, or have been making lifts the longest.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:00 PM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

Deleted

Last edited by Asquared; 12-21-2009 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Dang Dou ble posting
Old 12-21-2009, 11:38 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboCup87
Boy, I really admire your garage! Hope to eventually build a house with a great garage.
We're planning on buying two lots in Belmont Shore in Long Beach, knocking down both properties and building one bigger three story house with a basement for my cars that spans the entire outline of our property. All part of the ten year plan
Old 12-22-2009, 11:43 AM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
We're planning on buying two lots in Belmont Shore in Long Beach, knocking down both properties and building one bigger three story house with a basement for my cars that spans the entire outline of our property. All part of the ten year plan
Should we reverse that "Hope to build a garage, with a house on top"
Old 12-22-2009, 12:09 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

You guys are extremely lucky to have such high-ceiling garages... I completely forgot when building our house and had to stick with a low ceiling lift alternative...

Here is my setup while helping out a friend with his TransAm... I can move it from the double bay to the single bay or just put it away when not in use. But nothing like being able to have a full size two post asymmetric unit... maybe in the next house, if there is a next house.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:36 PM
Stentor
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for all the good feedback. I like the idea of a 4-post lift that doesn't necessarily have to be bolted to the floor (and has a drip tray built in)
Old 12-23-2009, 12:34 AM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

A dumb question here: The storage lift looks like a great way to park another car into the garage, and can do oil change and such easily. But can you use them to do suspension work too? (somehow removing the ramp and replace them with some 4-arm setup to act as service lift)
Old 12-23-2009, 01:30 AM
asu_lee
Advanced

My god you guys have beautiful garages!
Old 12-23-2009, 04:57 PM
diethelm
Intermediate

cfjan:

Yes you can. The rotary lift comes with sliders that run across the car underneath. You can get them just as a platform where you can jack the car up with a bottle jack and then place a stand underneath, with built in pneumatic bottle jacks, or you can order them with pneumatic lifts that you simply slide and lift. See the black jack plate behind the rear of the GT on the ramps in picture.

All of these mechanisms which lift the car off of the ramps are very easy to work with.

The four post lift takes up a little more space, but in addition to storage, it can do practically everything an asymmetrical lift can do and more. For those of us whom are getting older and work on stuff alone, I find them safer and you can rig up all sorts of things to allow you to do work with one person as opposed to two.

For example, I had a new rear end made for my jeep. In an asymmetrical lift, you would need some way of lifting the rear end off the ground or you would have to work on the car one the ground. With the 4post, I simply let placed the new rear end on the ramps and only had to lift the new rear end a short distance on to the leaf springs.

The most important advantage of a 4 post lift is that you never have to set your scotch or your cigar on the ground where they can be spilled or damaged. Simply place on the ramp nearest your work and they are always within a safe reach.

ASU_Lee:

When you graduate from U of A, they throw the garage in.......
Old 12-23-2009, 06:26 PM
DavidNR
Rennlist Member

Best justificaton for a 4 post lift ever:

you never have to set your scotch or your cigar on the ground where they can be spilled or damaged.
I'm with you all the way!
Old 12-23-2009, 08:42 PM
jimxyz
Instructor

if my wife ever complains about my growing car collection - I'll just show her a photo of H20skier's garage - Dang, living the dream!
Old 12-23-2009, 11:26 PM
h20skier
Instructor

Originally Posted by cfjan
A dumb question here: The storage lift looks like a great way to park another car into the garage, and can do oil change and such easily. But can you use them to do suspension work too? (somehow removing the ramp and replace them with some 4-arm setup to act as service lift)
Revolutions have the same thing Diethelm's talks about above. Very nice. Safe and no more bending down for brake pads and crap. Included with the lifts is 1 jack tray and 3 drip trays........very important with a Porsche in the air

Originally Posted by jimxyz
if my wife ever complains about my growing car collection - I'll just show her a photo of H20skier's garage - Dang, living the dream!
If you need more help with her I can send pic's of off site storage and the others.

The dream is the "wife" the rest is frosting......
Old 12-24-2009, 12:02 AM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 34 Posts

I've been happy with my Dannmar. Pretty reasonably priced.

I used to live in Belmont Shore. There was a guy that had an F40 and a 3.6 turbo in his garage on Naples. I made my run route specifically to try to catch a glimpse of his cars.
Attached Images  
Old 12-24-2009, 09:29 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

the great thing about Danmar is ability to completely level the ramps. I'm not sure if you can do that with the Rotary. Great for doing track set-up, better than owning scale platforms (like I do PITA)

Quick Reply: garage lift