Rear bumper hitch mount is not a good idea ... legally

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 04:12 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Rear bumper hitch mount is not a good idea ... legally

After searching for options to haul R compound tires to the track, I have concluded that the rear bumper bracket hitch mount shown below is not a good idea for both safety and legal reasons. Why? First of all, towing hitch are suppose to mount directly to the body to ensure maximum structural rigidity while towing. While our front and rear bumper brackets have receiver for towing hook and rated to at least handle the weight of the car but it is not meant for handling stress from towing and it is not tested or rated for towing either.

We all seen trucks with hitch receiving ball mounted on rear bumper. They are not rated for towing anything heavy for long distance due to risk of ripping off the rear bumper assembly. While the rear bumper hitch shown below may work 99% of the time towing a light weight hitch with couple tires but that one time you hit a road defect on the freeway just might generate enough momentum (mass X speed) or force (mass x change in speed) to snap the hitch or break the rear bumper bracket sending your tailer/bumper to the unlucky vehicle behind you. I don't think my umbrella policy can cover multi vehicle crash caused by my untested illegal home made hitch - worst yet what will happen if people are hurt? My legal minded friends took a look at this hitch - while ingenious - told me to run the other way and never use it to tow anything on the road.

The same can be said about a tire falling off a roof rack if you chose to tow it that way. But a roof rack had been tested and rated at certain weight. Your lawyer will have an easier time defending the accident since ropes may break but at least you are using a legally tested device meant to haul goods from point A to B.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:17 AM
Erik
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

saw your post on 6speed first, I replied the following:

I think you'll be okay. I've been looking at them myself. I've seen 2 versions used for a long time, both successful without any issues. First version had a tow ball welded onto the tow hook, which was just installed whenever needed (that's the version that I'm looking into). Used for years without incident. Of course this version would only work on the newer cars that have the towhook hole in the center, not the older cars that have the towhook off center Second version was a piece of steel angle bolted between the bumperettes. The bumperettes were on either a Boxter or 993, and they could be removed with 1 little bolt. Then the steel angle with ball would just bolt onto the bumperet brackets (a hole had already been drilled into the brackets). I'm just not sure if on our car the bumperettes are that easy to remove.

Either way, I think your version looks just fine. Tire/toolbox trailer is not very heavy, weighs a lot less then for example a jet ski, and I see every possible car with the most puny tow hooks pull those all over FL
Old 12-17-2009, 11:24 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,790 Likes on 2,372 Posts

erik,

if you let slow trakcar pass you, i think he will be willing to haul your hoosiers in his giant trailer ;-)
Old 12-17-2009, 11:25 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

My RS could haul four R compound wheels inside the car to the track with a TC design roll bar.
no trailer needed!

NJ-GT was a pioneer in this field, however i think the C.H.P were not big fans... LOL!
Old 12-17-2009, 11:31 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd be more concerned with ground clearance for the swing away tongue jack.

My gut reaction to the photo, by the way, was "slippery slope demonstration"
Old 12-17-2009, 11:32 AM
Erik
Burning Brakes

Mooty, Peter gave up and ordered a RS II with 3.8 motor, short gearing etc etc. I don't think even on Hoosiers that I'll be able to keep up. It's all pretty sad. :-))

TC, I have the RS rollbar like you (no front) but besides that I keep my passenger seat in so that I can take a student every once in a while. Even took the National PCA president last year for a session during the 48 hours of Sebring, so that car has to have 2 seats :-). There is no way that I could get those 4 tires in. I can barely get my luggage, tools, jack and coffee machine in there now.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:47 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Erik
Mooty, Peter gave up and ordered a RS II with 3.8 motor, short gearing etc etc. I don't think even on Hoosiers that I'll be able to keep up. It's all pretty sad. :-))

TC, I have the RS rollbar like you (no front) but besides that I keep my passenger seat in so that I can take a student every once in a while. Even took the National PCA president last year for a session during the 48 hours of Sebring, so that car has to have 2 seats :-). There is no way that I could get those 4 tires in. I can barely get my luggage, tools, jack and coffee machine in there now.
With the RS clubsport bar there is no possible way. I now currently have the RS clubsport bar.
However, with my old TC Design roll bar which i removed after i purchaseed the car, you could do it. Even with the GT2 seats.

Im in awe of what NJ-GT comes up with. This guy is a thinker!

You should see it! very impressive!
Old 12-17-2009, 12:40 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 204 Posts

Tcsracing1- just noticed on your quote "flondle"- is that correct spelling? If so what does it mean? Mike
Old 12-17-2009, 01:23 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have no doubt any Jerry rigged hitch can handle the light trailer and couple tires but my concern is that our rear bumper bracket is not meant to handle this type of towing and it is not tested either. We will be at great risk if some how the hitch detach and cause accident. CHP and ambulance chaser love to stick it to a GT3 owner if they find out you are not using a properly chassis mounted tow hitch
Old 12-17-2009, 10:46 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

And you really think all hitches that are being sold out there have been tested and are 100% bullet proof?? You might be afraid of your bumper ripping off but what about the cheap welds on some the the receiver hitch??

If you can tow a 3000 pound car out of a sand trap, I doubt pulling a 500 pound tire trailer will cause any damages.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:55 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Guys, the answer is that you need a quality car trailer.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:06 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CWay27
And you really think all hitches that are being sold out there have been tested and are 100% bullet proof?? You might be afraid of your bumper ripping off but what about the cheap welds on some the the receiver hitch??

If you can tow a 3000 pound car out of a sand trap, I doubt pulling a 500 pound tire trailer will cause any damages.
I can't answer your first question but check with the manufacture to see if they been tested for strength and quality like everything else you buy

A 500 lbs trailer traveling at 80 mph has 6X more momentum as towing a 3200 lbs car at 2 mph. I have seen tow hook and bumper rip right off a car while towing at <5 mph. A properly installed hitch should be mounted directly to the chassis and not bumper. Each state or country has different requirement for hitch assembly and towing. Check with your local DMV for detail

Here is what California DMV says about hitch:

Hitch, Coupling Device or Connection, or Tow Dolly
29003. (a) Every hitch or coupling device used as a means of attaching the towed and towing vehicles shall be properly and securely mounted and be structurally adequate for the weight drawn. The mounting of the hitch or coupling device on the towing and towed vehicle shall include sufficient reinforcement or bracing of the frame to provide sufficient strength and rigidity to prevent undue distortion of the frame.

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Yup
Old 12-18-2009, 03:22 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
My RS could haul four R compound wheels inside the car to the track with a TC design roll bar.
no trailer needed!

NJ-GT was a pioneer in this field, however i think the C.H.P were not big fans... LOL!
LOL, rad is insane.
he can probably haul two sets inside the car if you really wanted to.... this guy is NOT human...
Old 12-18-2009, 03:24 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

[/QUOTE]Mooty, Peter gave up and ordered a RS II with 3.8 motor, short gearing etc etc. I don't think even on Hoosiers that I'll be able to keep up. It's all pretty sad. :-))[/QUOTE]

peter cheater!

[/QUOTE]There is no way that I could get those 4 tires in. I can barely get my luggage, tools, jack and coffee machine in there now.[/QUOTE]

if WILL fit. you have to load the tires in a particular sequence and move the seats just right. NJGT is out of country right now. but pm him, he can brief you on that. 4 full size tires with wheels will fit.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:25 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
and a quality Reese dual cam anti sway, wt distributing hitch. i am a convert.

Quick Reply: Rear bumper hitch mount is not a good idea ... legally