Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Bad News

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 06:49 PM
Rich.
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

However, with PDEM, Axle lift, and dynamic corning.. there are only 8 cars left either U.S. bound or on a dealers lot
Old 12-02-2009, 08:42 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich.
However, with PDEM, Axle lift, and dynamic corning.. there are only 8 cars left either U.S. bound or on a dealers lot
Mine is enroute with PADM. Should be here in 2 weeks or so.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:19 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rich.
I'm glad I snatched mine up with those three options when I did. Dynamic cornering lights are cool but not as important as the other two to me.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:11 PM
IAortho
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bob_dallas
I'm glad I snatched mine up with those three options when I did. Dynamic cornering lights are cool but not as important as the other two to me.
bob_dallas, thanks for directing me to this thread and responding to my earlier post. So, what would you do with cash in your pocket? Buy an overoptioned one in stock on the West Coast and ship it to Iowa, or trust the Midwest dealer with my deposit that they can get an allocation? The Midwest dealer said they should know by Dec. 10 - 15, but that may be a little too late if Porsche has no plans to allocate any more. Mounts, lift, and dynamic cornering lights are 3 of my 6 options even though, like you, the DCL's aren't as important to me as color is. This is my first pcar, the dream, and will be a keeper for 30 years! Thanks in advance.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:24 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

I checked a few midwest dealers,...long story - they kept promising - but couldn't deliver . . .I ended up buying a car enroute to new york - already specced / and buildt
Old 12-03-2009, 12:54 PM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by IAortho
bob_dallas, thanks for directing me to this thread and responding to my earlier post. So, what would you do with cash in your pocket? Buy an overoptioned one in stock on the West Coast and ship it to Iowa, or trust the Midwest dealer with my deposit that they can get an allocation? The Midwest dealer said they should know by Dec. 10 - 15, but that may be a little too late if Porsche has no plans to allocate any more. Mounts, lift, and dynamic cornering lights are 3 of my 6 options even though, like you, the DCL's aren't as important to me as color is. This is my first pcar, the dream, and will be a keeper for 30 years! Thanks in advance.
My dealer has no such timeline of mid Dec. He has no news of another allocation and "believes" that there will be no more. Just passing on info. He has nothing to gain as he only got one allocation and I bought it. It should be here in a couple of weeks.

It is a tough position to be in. Wait for the possibility and risk that the current availability doesn't shrink too much or seize the moment now. I wish you good luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited by 911dev; 12-03-2009 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:34 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

If you have the money I'd buy the one that has the options you want and not too much extra fluff, fly out and drive it home and never look back. I suspect Porsche will make more if there is demand but I wouldn't count on it in 2010 based on all the other information. There is a counter case to be made for them not doing it and keeping the GT3 and RS more limited production to preserve the cachet. Especially when you see the Panamera sales volumes that are driving their revenues now. Porsche gets a lot more pull-through revenue from the halo effect of having a special car like the GT3 than they do from the GT3s directly.

I personally made my list of must-have and want to have options and bought the car that came available. Sure I got an option or two that I would have never ordered - heated seats for example, but it wasn't too crazy and I got what I wanted. I actually wanted the adaptive seats for my bad back - they are great for most driving just heavy and won't take a harness. Fortunately I have my 996 GT3 seats that I can throw in to have the best of both worlds.

All that said - there is no way I personally would buy one of these $149k bloated cars but that's me.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:36 PM
Born2Run
Track Day

My dealer up in the Pacific NW has said the same thing...I also called a dealer back east and heard the same. They both said there will be more allocations, but there may be a limited amount compared to the first builds. Mid December is what I was told.

I am in the same situation. Number 1 on the list at my dealer and awaiting an allocation. They got 3 GT3's on the first build and have been allocated a RS. I'm hoping they get one more, but if Porsche stops production I'm out of luck. I have thought several times of buying an overoptioned GT3, so I at least get one. I think it might be a ploy by Porsche to delay allocations and production to stimulate sales of the GT3's on the dealer lots. It is the not knowing of whether there will be more builds that has tempted me to buy now and not wait. I have decided to gamble and wait for the allocation announcement that may never happen.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:31 PM
RSA333
Racer

Many allocations still left here at dealers on the east coast. I have been called or emailed by 4 Porsche sales managers to gauge my interest in the last 2 weeks. There are also new GT3s sitting on dealer's lots here. Look at individual dealer's web sites - don't trust the USA porsche.com search site.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:39 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Fortunately I have my 996 GT3 seats that I can throw in to have the best of both worlds.
Hey Bob,

How will you handle the passenger side air bag situation when you put in the 996 GT3 seats? Can they somehow shut that off? I would imagine when you disconnedt the stock seat something will start beeping at you that the sensor is disconnected or something?

Just curious,

Mike
Old 12-04-2009, 06:35 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

There is a counter case to be made for them not doing it and keeping the GT3 and RS more limited production to preserve the cachet.
There is no motivation for Porsche to "preserve the cachet". Unlike Ferrari, they are a volume seller, with the GT3 and RS being two of their more profitable models. They pride themselves on their profitability, and they will definitely not leave money on the table in this economy.

If the 2010 production run is truly ending soon with customers still wanting cars, it only means the 2011s will be coming sooner than expected.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:51 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TeamDrugMoney
Hey Bob,

How will you handle the passenger side air bag situation when you put in the 996 GT3 seats? Can they somehow shut that off? I would imagine when you disconnedt the stock seat something will start beeping at you that the sensor is disconnected or something?

Just curious,

Mike
Still looking for an answer to this one. In my 996GT3 it wasn't a problem because it didn't use a sensor, it used the buckle under the seat. In my 997S I just put the GT3 seat in the drivers side and left the passenger seat alone. I'm not sure what happens on the passenger seat with that automatic sensor. Surely someone on here has done this and knows the answer.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:55 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
There is no motivation for Porsche to "preserve the cachet". Unlike Ferrari, they are a volume seller, with the GT3 and RS being two of their more profitable models. They pride themselves on their profitability, and they will definitely not leave money on the table in this economy.

If the 2010 production run is truly ending soon with customers still wanting cars, it only means the 2011s will be coming sooner than expected.
It's not "my" case, but one that I've heard that is somewhat plausible. How do you know the GT3 and RS are two of the more profitable models? I would not expect this given the relatively low volume and specialized parts.

I'm not saying the 2011 won't happen but I also don't think it's a forgone conclusion and fortunately it doesn't matter to me since I have one.

Last edited by bob_dallas; 12-04-2009 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:37 PM
Rocci
Instructor

UPDATE: I have contacted several dealers around the country based on referrals/recommendations contained in the responding posts. Most have received their spring allocations and none include a GT3. Some are still waiting and but are not optimistic. All have been cordial, helpful and very professional. None have tried to sugar coat it or make promises that they could not live up to. I respect that honesty.

Thanks to those who have offered help. I do appreciate it. I have not given up and am still working some angles. I am an optimist and know that if you are willing to work hard you can usually attain your goal (but it may require some compromise).
Old 12-05-2009, 12:46 PM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee

Not so sure that GT3's and RS's are two of the more profitable models. The turbo is probably the most profitable of the Carreras. I believe C2(S)'s are even more profitable than GT3/RS's or at least a toss up.

Quick Reply: Bad News