Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

SW 3.9 First impressions

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 11:12 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,641 Likes on 762 Posts

I'm curious also to see the Dyno HP and TQ of the new 3.8 VS the 3.9 Sharwerks.

The 3.9 revs to 8800 and is probably build with better stuff.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:18 AM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

I hope somebody does a proper dyno comparison of the two. A 3.8 and a SW 3.9, both fully broken-in and tested on the same dyno on the same day.

Why do you think the SW is built with better stuff?
Old 11-30-2009, 11:40 AM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm pretty sure Alex has all that info posted on the SW website. I know there's a video floating around of Kermit spanking the SW 3.8 silver car!!
Old 11-30-2009, 11:43 AM
drqiman
Rennlist Member

Thanks for taking the time to give us your impressions. Sounds like there is a night and day difference between the 3.6 and 3.9. I am considering this conversion after I get a few more miles in my car and the warranty has expired or is about to expire. I regularly drive my car at over 7000' elevation so I am just trying to get back some of the lost HP due to altitude.

As some have said before, I am also interested in the long term reliability of the 3.9. It appears that SW has chosen top notch components that are equal or better than OEM. Snowboarder, your original motor had over 37k miles and required some bottom end rebuild also. Do you think that the 3.9 will last as long as the factory 3.6?

Another point to think about is that SW apparently has a very strict break in protocol for their 3.9l with a limit if I recall correctly of 6500rpm for 400mi and then still below redline until 1000 miles. It is common to hear that the GT3 cars should be driven hard right away for the engine to develop full power. Perhaps Porsche does know something about engine break in and following the recommended procedure it isn't just for the benefit of the driver as some have suggested.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:17 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Originally Posted by Snowboarder54
I'm pretty sure Alex has all that info posted on the SW website. I know there's a video floating around of Kermit spanking the SW 3.8 silver car!!
I'd be interested to see an independent comparison. I guess I'm just always skeptical of how tuners can improve the performance of a n/a near-racecar factory engine without destroying its drivability or longevity. I'd be fascinated to see a properly scientific, independent dyno comparison.

I wonder how Kermit 3.9 will do against a 2010 RS?
Old 11-30-2009, 01:46 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,641 Likes on 762 Posts

Alex?

Old 11-30-2009, 01:49 PM
apexlocator
4th Gear

maybe I missed it somewhere, but is your car registered in CA? will it pass smog?
Old 11-30-2009, 04:03 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,312 Likes on 610 Posts

After putting a few (about 1,000, actually) miles on Kermit, as well, I gotta say that the 3.9 is a shocker. Ralph is not crazy for suggesting it feels like a factory motor.

We did a little "extra" driving with a 2010 3.8, as well, and I prefer the 3.9. The new 3.8, while wonderful, felt like watching TV on "Mute." And not just due to the noise. The strangest thing about the 3.9 is how much smoother it is than the 3.6 (especially) as well as the 3.8. And how it had me almost wishing for AWD. In a GT3.

pete
Old 11-30-2009, 06:25 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon70
Thank you for the write up and I am glad everything is so positive with the 3.9, not that I would expect otherwise. I may get the 3.9 in the not so distant future.
Cheers Jon and it's certainly fun to drive and we'll be here

Originally Posted by iLLM3
CONGRATS again, I have such good experiences driving a stock gt3 or slightly modded RS, I can't imagine the fun I would have in your car, I would probably be a GT2 to GT3 convert instantly!
Cheers Martin... I think you probably would have some fun knowing you

Originally Posted by mooty
i have had the opportunity to wring out kermit in the past. i have to say that 3.9 is very well done.
the rpm still climbs just as fasst, if not faster as 3.6
no holes in tq curve.
power and tq is very linear.
Thanks mooty.. coming from you that means a lot Gotta maybe get you/her out on Thill with Tony and see what happens eh

Originally Posted by MartyB
Congrats - I'm jealous. What is the ballpark cost for the conversion? Just curious.
Hi MartyB it depends on a few things in terms of mileage, bottom-end etc... but basic price installed is 25K for an RS, 26K for a GT3. That comes with the motor/build/install, tuning, exhaust and clutch kit etc...

Originally Posted by AllanJ
I think it's 25K. Price will vary based on your engine condition, exhaust, etc. I'm saving my pennies right now.

Cheers,
Roger that. SnowBoarder's had 37.5K so we went in and did rod bearings etc...

Originally Posted by Mikla
Great write up! It's a shame that for us Europeans it's a little "inconvenient" to go to California for a test drive...
Sorry Mikla... The weather is good still this time of year so if you do make it over we're here Got a few cars/motors in the works that are being shipped from other areas of the globe so it's not completely impossible

Originally Posted by SpeedGeek
Great write-up, thanks for posting.

How does the motor and driving experience compare with a 2010 3.8 GT3? Is it a cost effective upgrade compared to just trading up to a 2010 car?
The 2010 car is fantastic. No two ways about it. Got one, love it etc... However is it worth the jump from a MK1 and the extra 50K or so it takes to get into one from a Mk1? Probably not. As far as how ours did against it check out this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzeLcvgOVzQ

Actually if you look here..
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=233

You'll see that we used the same AWD Mustang Dyno over at Stasis and that the 2010 put 392rwhp. A factory 3.6 Mk1 does about 380rwhp on the same dyno. Our does mid 450-ish. I can't get them overlayed however since Stasis shut down out here and move East;( But the video above is also pretty telling. The extra revs help as well

I hope somebody does a proper dyno comparison of the two. A 3.8 and a SW 3.9, both fully broken-in and tested on the same dyno on the same day.

Why do you think the SW is built with better stuff?
See above SpeedGeek... We spent a lot of time with both on our cars on the dyno (in AZ and CA). Bottom line is stock 3.6 puts down 380-ish on an AWD Mustang Dyno set up. 3.8 puts down 392 and ours 450-ish. Runs were done on different days but if anything the 3.9 was done during 100+ degree days so not the best conditions either. As far as better... the factory mahle is awesome just "heavy". We learned a lot from our 3.8 build which we sort of treated as our Beta if you will. We figured out ways to improve and also go lighter for those higher revs.

Originally Posted by drqiman
I am considering this conversion after I get a few more miles in my car and the warranty has expired or is about to expire. I regularly drive my car at over 7000' elevation so I am just trying to get back some of the lost HP due to altitude.

As some have said before, I am also interested in the long term reliability of the 3.9. It appears that SW has chosen top notch components that are equal or better than OEM. Snowboarder, your original motor had over 37k miles and required some bottom end rebuild also. Do you think that the 3.9 will last as long as the factory 3.6?

Another point to think about is that SW apparently has a very strict break in protocol for their 3.9l with a limit if I recall correctly of 6500rpm for 400mi and then still below redline until 1000 miles. It is common to hear that the GT3 cars should be driven hard right away for the engine to develop full power. Perhaps Porsche does know something about engine break in and following the recommended procedure it isn't just for the benefit of the driver as some have suggested.
We've actually done a lot of driving/testing/tuning in different scenarios. This includes track testing with a pro driver (nice break in on that!), a lot of city/commuiting/daily driving if you will a lot of country/back roads. Extreme heat (talking about 110+ F) and totted up so far we're at around 9000 miles. And also some high-elevation testing although it was in the 4000-5000 range. This includes a lot (in the 100+) of dyno time as well so it's a very hard/rough 9000 miles mind you. Prior to that we had a "similar" beta build with our 3.8 and put around 7.5K on that as well. We saw the rod-bearing wear on the 37.5K mile motor and that was fairly minor as well. Once our engine is built it does differ from Porsche's set up as you have different metalurgies involved along with heat/expansion... So yes while we have a stricter break-in procedure but it'll certainly allow for better wear and a longer lasting motor....

With regards to the elevation q... would you be using 91 or 93? Either way EVOMS/we have done so much work now with the live tuning (see video above for more on that) that we're able to see what area of the maps are being used and live (and why if you will). We retain the Bosch ME safety features and so even with those tunes the ECU can still utilize its knock-prevention capabilities. FYI each file has 7 different ignition maps (ranging from safety to aggressive) which the car will use depending upon many factors such as octane, elevation, temps etc...

I'd be interested to see an independent comparison. I guess I'm just always skeptical of how tuners can improve the performance of a n/a near-racecar factory engine without destroying its drivability or longevity. I'd be fascinated to see a properly scientific, independent dyno comparison.

I wonder how Kermit 3.9 will do against a 2010 RS?
Hey SpeedGeek, completely understand and that's also why we did a lot of the dyno testing not just at EVOMS location but also at Stasis (a completely different/independant tuner here in the US) to back up the claims. We ran our car vs different cars e.g. a stock RS, stock (and tuned) 2010 GT3s (not just the silver one) some of which are shown in that video posted above. We're not saying the engine will last 200K or anything like that with higher revs etc... but we're also countering that by utilizing lighter weight parts to try and combat the wear if you will. It's unlikely many cars will see 100plus K miles (Snowboarder excluded lol!) but everything we've thrown at this engine thus far she's been able to gobble up and believe me we've thrown a lot. It took us two full years of planning, testing and development. Look at it this way, we know these motors are race-bred... they're not new technology but we happened to identify the characteristics that we liked the most- such as the way it revs and just took things a step further. It wouldn't be economical for the factory to go 3.9, as it was the 3.8 made for an overall more expensive car (going to steel liners etc...) which is reflected in their pricing. Likewise our pistons/liners etc... and even tooling adds significant cost. We're not re-inventing the wheel here but merely extending it and "pulling" at it if you will. Keeping things factory/stock in terms of the drivability was important so that played a major factor in terms of our cam profiles as well.

The character and "feel" of the motor was something we very much like. It's hard to beat. Maximum bore along with light weight engine components was the path to keep that we feel. This is why we didn't want to stroke- for fear of loosing some of the character (the way it revs).

We do stand behind our work and from my time in the industry, I've seen and also been involved with prior development/sale of parts, but the amount of time/effort spent on this 3.9 has gone considerably beyond what I've seen in the past. We own the car. Drive it daily and expect others to as well. From both a personal/selfish reason (I love this car/engine) we threw everything and the kitchen sink at it in terms of battle-testing it. This is why we didn't release the 3.8 as a "kit" so to speak. So it took two plus years and we didn't sell anything but the result now is so much more worth it and we'll build 1 or so a month.... I also think it gives a 2-3 year old Mk1 another lease of life. At some point those motors will need some attention and at that time this set up might fit the bill. The other thing we've done on any of the builds we've done thus far and in the future is make _sure_ that the person interested gets a serious drive/test first to see what they think etc...

Then there's the 996

Originally Posted by apexlocator
maybe I missed it somewhere, but is your car registered in CA? will it pass smog?
The 3.6s are quite a bit cleaner than the 3.8s but either way we're utilizing the factory headers and cats on our build as well as the airbox so it shouldn't really change too much. They are so clean to begin with and from outside one would be hard-pressed to tell a difference. A keen ear will identify the lope of the cams but GT3's are somewhat lumpy in stock form.

Originally Posted by excmag
After putting a few (about 1,000, actually) miles on Kermit, as well, I gotta say that the 3.9 is a shocker. Ralph is not crazy for suggesting it feels like a factory motor.

We did a little "extra" driving with a 2010 3.8, as well, and I prefer the 3.9. The new 3.8, while wonderful, felt like watching TV on "Mute." And not just due to the noise. The strangest thing about the 3.9 is how much smoother it is than the 3.6 (especially) as well as the 3.8. And how it had me almost wishing for AWD. In a GT3.

pete
Cheers Pete and as with mooty, coming from you that means a lot. Both of you guys are really picky (rightfully so) as is SnowBoarder (he has his "commute" hehe) having driven/owned so many of these cars. I know I told you we're two years too late making this 3.9 but in all honesty that two years was what really made a lot of things possible. The GT3 motor and car in general quickly became my favorite 911 and hence I probably would have never forgiven myself for having messed it up in some way. Make it rev faster, give it more revs and give it more power. That was all we wanted to do. Hence no crazy headers, cats, intakes and other faff...

For those that don't know what I mean in terms of the live tuning check out the video below (towards the middle):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzeLcvgOVzQ

Last edited by sharkster; 11-30-2009 at 06:51 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:30 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Alex?

I'll take your pop-corn and raise you some Caffeine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUfcft1ZRww
Old 11-30-2009, 07:04 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Okay, here we go! Please keep in mind I build custom houses for a living and am not a journalist! That being said I will attempt to give you my humble impression of what it’s like to own and drive a Sharkwerks 3.9 GT3. As many of you know I am one of the very first 3.9 conversions done by Sharkwerks and probably the first to experience their creation as Alex and James drove up the coast to my house the morning after they got Kermit running back in July, even before the final tuning. I knew instantly that this was something I had to have done to my car and as soon as possible. I have always been somewhat annoyed with myself for not being patient enough to wait for an RS back in 2006 when I took delivery of my GT3 and was seriously considering the purchase of a 2010 RS. That was until I drove Kermit with the 3.9.

This conversion my friends is truly a work of perfection, it is easier to drive in traffic or on the open road and so much quicker than the stock motor from the factory. The revs are instant and the power band is just so linear. I think the thing that impresses me the most is the availability of the low-end torque and again how smooth it is. It’s almost like it came from the factory like this and now that I think about it, it probably should have.

I took delivery of my car this last Tuesday. The initial break-in miles were done by Alex and James, so the car already had almost 400 miles on it and had its break-in oil changed out with some fresh Moble-1. James gave me very strict orders not to exceed 6500 rpms until I reached at least 1000 miles. I had my 1000 miles last night by the time I got home from a visit to Sharkwerks to have James give the car a once over and his blessing.

I do the majority of my driving on northern California and southern Oregon back roads and this motor shines in this environment. With the 3.6 stocker there were turns when I was in-between gears, when 2nd or 3rd were a just a tad too high or 1st and 2nd a tad too low, with the added torque and extra 400 rpm’s this eliminates a lot of the indecision of which gear to use. I really love the 400 extra rpm’s!!

There was a small learning curve when I first got the car back from SW as the added HP and Torque gave me a couple anxious moments on some of my favorite stretches of road when I would apply throttle on exit. (Never exceeding 6500 rpms, honest James) So, for the first couple days I ended driving as if there was an egg under the right peddle upon exit. I had already installed a pair of 325 MPSC’s on the rear in anticipation of the extra power and boy was I glad I did. Unfortunately I almost had them worn out by the time I got the car to SW so things were a little sketchy until I ended up changing the MPSC’s out for a set of Pirelli Corsa system 325/30 -235/35’s. For the first 37,000 miles I had only used the MPSC’s, (12 sets in all) however after driving Kermit with the Pirelli’s a few weeks earlier I was very impressed and made the change from the MPSC’s for two reasons, first being the rainy season here I wanted to try the Pirellis as I had heard they are preferred in the wet and secondly I was hoping to get more miles out of them then the 3000 miles average I had been getting with the MPSC’s. The grip is equal in my opinion and I will have to wait on the miles report. I can say that after driving Kermit with the 305’s that the larger rears make a huge difference!! A must for anyone thinking about this conversion.

So today was the first time out that I was able to tap into the full power of my own 3.9 and it did not disappoint!! Having driven Kermit hard on several occasions I pretty much knew what to expect but there is nothing like driving your own car set up by you on roads you drive almost on a daily basis and without the fear of damaging someone else’s car.
This motor is just superb! It was cold this morning and the road I chose meandered along the river for several miles so things were damp and even a few places had frost. The Pirellis were perfect. I wish I had changed over earlier; they really give me a lot of confidence on the damp roads and have equal if not more grip then the MPSC’s. As stated earlier the mileage will be a deciding factor for me to continue using them as they do run about $400 a set more then the MPSC’s.

All in all the 3.9 experience is something I really don’t think I have the vocabulary to describe properly. It’s one of those things that people can tell you about and describe, but as an old friend of mine used to say, “The truth of the pudding is in the testing”. You really need to either ride in one of these cars or if you are lucky enough to drive one in order to understand how special this motor is. For me the one word to describe it is “perfect”.

Todays drive was about as good as it gets in my Porsche world. One thing I discovered which I hadn’t noticed before was between 5200-5400 rpms the motor has a huge surge of power, almost like driving an old 930 when the turbo spools up but not nearly as violent, and this motor just pulls and pulls. Can’t wait to put some more miles on this and really loosen it up. More reports later. I love this motor!!
Hey SnowBoarder, seriously thank you... and it was/is a real pleasure. You were kind enough to show us your "commute" roads and also agreed to wait on the 3.8 (lol!). As much fun as I've had driving it, I had so much fun watching you guys If there was a posterchild for the GT3 it would be you

The other thing I learned is after putting on some more suspension parts, I'm going back to Tony to get that same "Ralph" alignment:P

PS You're right about the 325s. They help a lot when you're on throttle and not facing quite straight

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
^
They have been my "new" favorite tire for quite a while.
Roger that. I remember the week I got my car I was all poo poo about them and you told me then (that and how I still had the rubber nubs on 'em!). Only a few weeks later a well-known local race car driver asked me if I wanted to "trade" my Pirellis for a set of his new "Cups"... This past month or so I've really begun to understand what a great tire it is. I've got them on my 2010 and pretty glad I do.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:57 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=sharkster;7107999]Hey SnowBoarder, seriously thank you... and it was/is a real pleasure. You were kind enough to show us your "commute" roads and also agreed to wait on the 3.8 (lol!). As much fun as I've had driving it, I had so much fun watching you guys If there was a posterchild for the GT3 it would be you

The other thing I learned is after putting on some more suspension parts, I'm going back to Tony to get that same "Ralph" alignment:P

PS You're right about the 325s. They help a lot when you're on throttle and not facing quite straight

Alex, I need to thank you for shining me on when I wanted to do your 3.8. You just kept telling me, "why don't you wait we are working on making it a little better". At one point I was getting a little annoyed. But the morning you & James showed up at my house with the 3.9 I realized what you were up too, and boy was I glad you kept denying me the 3.8 build. Have I told you how much I like this F%#k'n motor? Hehe. I'm starting to hate the Sunday commute, way to many motorcycles yesterday!! Going to have to go back to my monday-Friday commute. I afraid I'm going to have to upgrade brakes soon, carring way more speed now!
Old 11-30-2009, 09:50 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

[QUOTE=Snowboarder54;7108119]
Originally Posted by sharkster
Hey SnowBoarder, seriously thank you... and it was/is a real pleasure. You were kind enough to show us your "commute" roads and also agreed to wait on the 3.8 (lol!). As much fun as I've had driving it, I had so much fun watching you guys If there was a posterchild for the GT3 it would be you

Alex, I need to thank you for shining me on when I wanted to do your 3.8. You just kept telling me, "why don't you wait we are working on making it a little better". At one point I was getting a little annoyed. But the morning you & James showed up at my house with the 3.9 I realized what you were up too, and boy was I glad you kept denying me the 3.8 build. Have I told you how much I like this F%#k'n motor? Hehe. I'm starting to hate the Sunday commute, way to many motorcycles yesterday!! Going to have to go back to my monday-Friday commute. I afraid I'm going to have to upgrade brakes soon, carring way more speed now!
LOL I know... we weren't very easy going on releasing it as a 3.8 eh? People don't like hearing "No" but...

I have some work to do on the site and updating on yours and a white GT3... They have to get "five" fins now after all
Old 11-30-2009, 10:42 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=sharkster;7108406]

LOL I know... we weren't very easy going on releasing it as a 3.8 eh? People don't like hearing "No" but...

I have some work to do on the site and updating on yours and a white GT3... They have to get "five" fins now after all
Its says on your Website that you can but just to confirm you can perform this on an 996 GT3 correct?
Old 11-30-2009, 11:00 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very cool - enjoy Snowboarder! Alex - FWIW - I haven't done business with you but I just have to say I've been very impressed after watching you on a variety of boards for a while now. You seem to be a true enthusiast and a class act and I can see why your business is doing so well. Entrepreneurial success is so dependent on the passion and commitment of the key individuals and you seem to have an endless supply.

Quick Reply: SW 3.9 First impressions