Front lift system - Yes/No?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 09:01 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Doesn't the front lift require slowing down to a crawl as well?
Works at speeds <30 mph
Lowers at speeds >30mph

Best advantage is the speed 2-3 sec for extension....
No waiting as it has a 2.0 l pressure reservoir
Old 11-25-2009, 12:00 AM
Stentor
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have it

It is very nice to have. Without it, I would scrape every time I pull into the driveway at work...not devastating, but difficult to listen to every day. I push the button on my approach (when I'm just under 30 mph), and in 2-3 seconds, the dash indicator tells me I'm fully raised. An added bonus is it allows me to get the front end over the parking curb (have to be VERY sure I don't lower the front with the lip over the curb).

Much better than $3500 of stitching
Old 11-25-2009, 06:18 AM
SpeedGeek
Pro

For the bazillionth time, folks, the front lift is not about saving your front splitter, it's about increasing the daily usability of the car.

I have managed 7 years of daily driving GT3s without a front lift, but there are some places I simply cannot take my car because I cannot enter or exit. Places like parking garages that have steep and narrow entrances. When I'm faced with a parking garage I don't know, I always park on the street and do a walk-through before bringing my GT3 in. It's incredibly embarrassing entering a narrow drive only to find a steep ramp or speed bump in your way and cars behind. You're left with the options of destroying your front end, or asking people to back up so you can escape. Not fun.

I don't care about my front splitter - I scrape it all the time. But if you use your GT3 as a DD, the lift can be an enormous help. And 30 mm makes a much bigger difference than you might think.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:14 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedGeek
For the bazillionth time, folks, the front lift is not about saving your front splitter, it's about increasing the daily usability of the car.

I have managed 7 years of daily driving GT3s without a front lift, but there are some places I simply cannot take my car because I cannot enter or exit. Places like parking garages that have steep and narrow entrances. When I'm faced with a parking garage I don't know, I always park on the street and do a walk-through before bringing my GT3 in. It's incredibly embarrassing entering a narrow drive only to find a steep ramp or speed bump in your way and cars behind. You're left with the options of destroying your front end, or asking people to back up so you can escape. Not fun.

I don't care about my front splitter - I scrape it all the time. But if you use your GT3 as a DD, the lift can be an enormous help. And 30 mm makes a much bigger difference than you might think.
Well said....
Old 11-25-2009, 10:30 AM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes - and scroll down to the discussion that is on the front page of this forum if you want more comments. My thoughts are essentially the same as Speedgeek's
Old 11-25-2009, 11:14 AM
MarekN
Racer

The regular Carrera S is "only" 20 mm higher than the GT3, but you can run over speed bumps and other obstacles all day long with no worries. However, the GT3 has a different approach angle due to the front splitter and bumper, but 30 mm should bring the same effect.

What is the weight penalty, anybody know?

How does the lift system affect the long-term durability or reliability of the shock absorbers? Is there anything in there that can start rattling annoyingly in six-months´ time?
Old 11-25-2009, 11:38 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MarekN
What is the weight penalty, anybody know?
Approx 13# mounted down low
Attached Images  
Old 11-25-2009, 06:48 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,883 Likes on 971 Posts

Standard GT3 yes; RS no.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:16 AM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Sorry to ressurect this thread but I have a friend who purchased a used 2007 GT3 and was asking about the lift. His car does not have it. Can one be retrofitted to an older car or is there an aftermarket solution?
Old 04-12-2010, 04:57 AM
timothyli
Instructor

Originally Posted by SpeedGeek

+++++
Well explained!
Old 04-12-2010, 07:30 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

After a month or so with my 2010 GT3, I would say that the front lift system really worked and my car didn't scrape once. As other forumers stated, it really made my life for daily usability of the car.

The freedom to go anywhere anytime, without worrying or embarrassing of damaging the front splitter, is priceless.

I agree that if we use our GT3/GT3RS mainly for track, the front lift system is not necessary. However, if we plan to have a good mix of road use, a front lift is really worth the consideration.

I know for the cost of the front lift we can buy a dozen or more front splitters. My humble two-cents is that if we are going to spending the money, we might as well doing it right and spending it on a front lift system (whether OEM or aftermarket.)

On a side note, everytime I lower the front lift it will generate this 'Woosh' sound. It is fun to watch people's faces when they hear it... looks like they think there is some secret Nitrous Oxide system in the car.

Regards,
Old 04-12-2010, 07:30 AM
Shane O'Neill
Instructor

Northern Ireland has a lot of speed ramps and just plain bad roads.
The lift system is useful if you use your car on the road which is where mine will
spend 95% of its time.
Shane
Old 04-12-2010, 09:57 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SoloRacer
Sorry to ressurect this thread but I have a friend who purchased a used 2007 GT3 and was asking about the lift. His car does not have it. Can one be retrofitted to an older car or is there an aftermarket solution?
To answer your question, the 2007-8 gt3 did not offer this particular option and the new system is probably too difficult to retrofit without considerable expense assuming it can be done.

An aftermarket system would be the way to go in his case...They will fit his existing suspensionn on his car and lift a couple inches. They do tend to take longer to lift... Usually in the $3-4k price range. He should message some of the forum vendors, e.g. the fellas at sharkwerks etc...
Old 04-12-2010, 10:06 AM
alvinjamur
Intermediate

Definitely get it. Its a MUST in NYC. From what I've heard the front splitter is around $250 so its a
question of pay now and or pay later and many times...
Old 04-12-2010, 10:22 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,665 Likes on 773 Posts

No use for it in South Florida, even if you lower it a lot you will be ok if you can stand the scraping loise of the lip, but I just replace them once in a while. in stock height I can go anywhere witha bit of angling and never toch anything..

Quick Reply: Front lift system - Yes/No?