Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston
View Poll Results: IF you could spec a GT3 or GT3RS with a PDK, would you do it?
I Would Order a PDK
36.59%
I would Order a Manual
63.41%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

GT3 and RS- Would You Order PDK? Or Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 11:44 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dave w
It may not be an auto in the conventional use of the word as in having a Torque converter, but its auto in the sense that the computer is shiffing for you, when in auto mode. Accepting you can manually shift when you want and that it is sequential in nature, it its noting like the sequential boxes found in cup cars or F1 cars in any way...particalulry with dual mass flywheels and dual clutches.

For me the primary source of enjoyment of going to the track is nailing this all on my own, manually, without any computer aides....buttons or paddle shifters just don't cut it.
I used to think that too...and then I drove a PDK, it actually gives you more to think about, and the "pros" can't outthink it either!

You can override it if you want, you can short shift if you want, you can have a different map if you want, you can mix and match (manual versus chosen program) if you want....and you can concentrate on your braking points..which can be more important than the rev matching given the flexibility of the engine.. and your wife might like it (if you need an excuse!) for another Porsche.

Oh, by the way, I love heel and toeing and getting it right when I can.

I hated the Ferrari F1 system, but the future is PDK and even Ferrari has gone that way.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:48 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

^

However, I forgot to mention, I am not in the camp that believes the Current RS is going to come with PDK... next generation for sure but I doubt this one.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:39 AM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 20 Posts

Manual all the way. I crave the involvement that only rowing one's own gears can provide...but understand the desire for PDK by those seeking the quickest way around a track.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:50 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by triode
Manual all the way. I crave the involvement that only rowing one's own gears can provide...but understand the desire for PDK by those seeking the quickest way around a track.
You missed the point! I am not looking for the quickest way around the track, I am looking for different track experiences which allow me to evaluate and react to the impact of various inputs, and analyze the momentum effect of various actions.

For the above, PDK plays a part; it is not better or worse than manual..just different and requires a focus on different inputs and timing variances, without obsoleting any. You could draw an analogy of driving on a dry track versus a wet track... different techniques, but to be successful requires different inputs (some renowned drivers are better in the wet than dry).

Last edited by PogueMoHone; 11-24-2009 at 12:58 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-23-2009, 11:43 AM
deutschmick
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 84 Posts

Old school here. PDK is great but I'll never make a living driving a car fast.

I find manual more involving and feel that heel/toe is a skill set that's worthwhile to master.

Obviously YMMV
Old 11-24-2009, 12:27 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 534 Likes on 351 Posts

Manual.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:12 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
You missed the point!
No, actually YOU did. I was discussing MY preference for driver involvement via 3 pedals. Your opinion is only that...
Old 11-24-2009, 03:00 PM
DK911
Advanced

Definitely a manual.

My M3 had DCT and it was a wonderful. It was lightning fast when I wanted it to be, and soft when I wanted it to be. I could put it in automatic mode and it was as smooth as a traditional auto trans. And the paddles are much better thought out than the Porsche system. Very intuitive and fast to use.

Having said that, it takes some joy away from the driving experience. I know it shifts faster and matches revs better than I can, but I don't care. My GT3 is for fun, and I enjoy shifting.

Also, you do lose the ability to modulate the clutch on the way into or out of a corner, so it ends up changing the way you drive.

Quick Reply: GT3 and RS- Would You Order PDK? Or Manual?