Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Do you modify your GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 12:49 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Clifton
Changed the US market amber side markers out for the Euro clear ones ($30). Why mess with perfection beyond that?

Like the idea of the Sharky exhaust, but my home owers association already dislikes me and my to noise making cars.
Move, it will be worth it!!
Old 11-11-2009, 03:41 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo4ever
Great news about that 30lbs thing, same as the RS version?

My car mainly for street, so I don't need the rollbar and 6 point harness.

I just want to make it lighter and faster.

What about single mass flywheel? Is it harder and heavier to use compared with the dual clutch?
The only thing you'll feel, driving on the street, is the lightweight flywheel. The sound of the center-muff bypass is mandatory. It's not even "louder" (dB) below 4500 rpm, so home owners' concerns are not going to come into play. Above 4500 rpm or 50% throttle, you get a very convincing 911 exhaust note.

If you want to consider weight reduction, for an exercise, put a 200lb+ passenger in the car. Take a couple of well-practiced and safe turns (on-ramp/off-ramp clover leafs, with full acceleration and heavy braking ... again, think about traffic behind you before embarking on these shenanigans ...) Then have the passenger wait out of the car and repeat. If you feel any difference at all, you're probably just experiencing a little placebo effect. I can feel a passenger on the track in a 3500lb car, but I don't notice it on the street. I can notice a 2lb pressure difference in a single tire, but I can't tell you if the tires are at 30 or 36 on the street.

My point being that any weight reduction is for the fun of it, not that it will "improve" the car. And getting more than about 200lbs out of the GT3 is tough. The biggest single weight-saving will come by replacing the factory seats with the GT2 (folding) or GT3 (shell) or after-market (Recaro/OMP) seats.

So, get the LWF. It will change the character of the car. Get a shop like Sharkwerks to do it and they'll pop in a 996 GT3 seal.

The only other thing you can do to really make the car leap off the line is a shorter diff ratio. Not particularly expensive. The factory has finally "endorsed" this approach by making the change in the 2010 RS. I expect a lot more after-market interest in shorter diffs.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:33 PM
chardonet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dymags
Can't recall the net wt. savings off the top of my head, but the improvement in braking performance is absolutely phenominal.
Attached Images  
Old 11-11-2009, 06:16 PM
jimxyz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok I'm sold - SW pipes go in Friday. Thanks Steve for the local hands on demo (reminded me of the speaker room at Fry's where you get to see how loud they go - only with the RS you have the added bonus of watching the scenery blur past). ECU will have to be down the road a bit - Alex, put one on layaway for me! Not really a mod, but I had to get extra splitters to replace the ones my driveway eats - and I got a radar detector b/c the tollroad is just too tempting...
Old 11-11-2009, 06:42 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jimxyz
Ok I'm sold - SW pipes go in Friday. Thanks Steve for the local hands on demo (reminded me of the speaker room at Fry's where you get to see how loud they go - only with the RS you have the added bonus of watching the scenery blur past). ECU will have to be down the road a bit - Alex, put one on layaway for me! Not really a mod, but I had to get extra splitters to replace the ones my driveway eats - and I got a radar detector b/c the tollroad is just too tempting...
You're welcome! I'm surprised you were able to hold out as long as you did.

I ended up ordering the cup splitter through Carnewal. Have to see if it holds up any better.

Detector in SoCal is a priority!
Old 11-12-2009, 12:12 AM
jimxyz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it was tough to wait - but i needed a trip to Premier first to get the front end covered. Now I can move on to phase two - while the wife is out of town! haha I can't wait for the roar of the new pipes.

Quick Reply: Do you modify your GT3?