Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Need Advice on RS drama

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 02:00 AM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Need Advice on RS drama

18 months ago I put $1k on a contract for a RS at MSRP. No guarantee of an allocation. I figured no way. About a month ago the salesperson CALLED ME to tell me that they were getting 2 cars and that I was #2. I asked...does that mean that I am getting a car and he said "yes" not "maybe." I visited the dealership to get more details on the car, to get a build sheet, and the salesperson gave me specific advice on where, how and how much to sell my car for. ('04 GT3) He said that I have a February build and that I should take what I can get for my car.

I have my GT3 sold and I get an email on Saturday telling me that they are not getting a second car!

In all my years of buying high-end cars...even cars more rare than the RS, I have never been mislead like this.

I talked with the manager and he fed me a line about "seeing if he can get a car from another dealer." Yeah right. I have no idea what to do! Do I sue? Call PNA? Any advice? This really sucks!

I am in Texas and I have an email from the salesperson confirming our conversation. I was told that its only going to be 200 cars. So I am SOL. Christ, can I even get a GT3 built this late? I have always had a Porsche in the garage! Should I ask the dealer for anything.

Thank you for your advice. Karl
Old 11-09-2009, 02:37 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

i would work with your dealer to try to get back that #2 slot. They may have to go above and beyond for you, and try to find another car from another dealer...... but if they have your deposit and know you sold your car they should accomidate you in some shape or form.

They might built a few more RS from the demand... so sit tight and stay in touch with your dealer weekly.

I cant see how they would tell you about two cars and now they can only get one??
Perhaps they should work a little harder to make good on their claim. They still have your deposit.

Keep your eye out for other allotments from dealers..... you can point your dealer towards them or do it directly yourself.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:46 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like crap to me! Your slot got handed off to another customer that is paying more for the car plain and simple.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:42 AM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I worry that if we do find another allotment, the other dealer will want more than sticker!
Old 11-09-2009, 09:06 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by texasviany
I worry that if we do find another allotment, the other dealer will want more than sticker!
Situation totally sucks and I empathize.

If it turns out my allocation doesn't come through (suppose to know this week) I know I am fully open minded to a '10 Turbo or Boxster Spyder. Both incredible cars.

Bad enough to pay MSRP for an instantly deprciating asset. Much less over MSRP which is the action of a financial and economic idiot, or not keeping your emotions under control.

Over the past 9 months the '07/'08 owners have been taking losses, sometimes huge, on resales. Remember this when you are feeling bad about '10 RS!

You always have other options. never forget this, and don't let it get emotional.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:08 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Isn't it always the same with these cars though? Once the initial demand is met you'll have options.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:11 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts

Sure sounds like either you're being groomed for that crappy outcome......
or what Tacet-Conundrum said....
neither scenarios are very palatable.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:15 AM
taylorcoleman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say try to be patient. Perhaps establish a relationship with another Porsche dealer and have them be more proactve in finding you an RS -- you'd still need to exercise patience, but finding a great Porsche dealer to help you is probably your best bet. Try Porsche of North Olmsted -- give Chad L. a shout.

Alternatively if patience is not an option (since your garage is dying a swift and painful death without a P-car ) try a car broker. You'll pay for their service, but they may be able to pull some strings as well. Give Kevin a shout at Cats Exotics.

Do you have to have the 2010? There are fair deals on 07 RS's.

Sorry about the crappy service you got from your dealer. Unfortunately, this is more of the norm from what I've experiened directly and indirectly.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:23 AM
SGonzo
Advanced

"Been there done that", I the same thing happen to me. I was told I was #5 on the list for an 07 GT3 and when my build date came up the salesman told me "The factory quit building them". I later learned from another salesman at the same dealership that my slot was sold to a higher bidder. I also had a deposit on the car etc. it did not matter to the dealer GM/Owner. Keep looking and be patient you will find your car.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:50 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by texasviany
I visited the dealership to get more details on the car, to get a build sheet, and the salesperson gave me specific advice on where, how and how much to sell my car for. ('04 GT3) He said that I have a February build and that I should take what I can get for my car.

I have my GT3 sold
Sorry to hear that you jumped so soon...it sucks!

The car business reputation just never gets better....Salespeople are your first contact but are at the bottom of the decision food chain, say alot things and truly have "Dealerspeak" down to a science.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:01 PM
Polar Peter
Addict
Rennlist Member

Find out who the regional rep is for PCNA, drop him a line and explain the situation, tell him what you wrote us and if he is as good as the NE rep., he should be able to help make this right. If you cannot get a RS I am sure he will bed over backward for a GT3 allocation
Old 11-09-2009, 12:16 PM
Giantviper
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

call paul miller porsche 973 227 3000 ask for paul gavel he is great maybe he can help tell him your story gary stein
Old 11-09-2009, 01:04 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It goes to show the customer doesn't have an order until there's paperwork from the factory.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:17 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

good paperwork makes good friends.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:35 PM
rahul
Rennlist Member

I'd be happy to sue them for you. Obviously, all the facts would have to be ascertained prior thereto but i would be happy to look at it. If in fact, your dealer lied to you and your spot has been given to a higher bidder, there will be hell to pay, i assure you. I just cannot understand why we think this behavior is acceptable and turn the other cheek. I am willing to bet no one would tolerate this with any other consumable commodity. Let me know. Thanks

Quick Reply: Need Advice on RS drama