Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Optional lithium ion battery

A pic of the $1,700 bad boy...
Attached Images  
Old 11-03-2009, 02:16 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Gotta say, that looks pretty cool. Not sure if it's $1,700 cool, but cool nonetheless...
Old 11-03-2009, 02:27 PM
dsu*
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

wow..looks really really cool.

EXPERTS: is it worth the 1700??
Old 11-03-2009, 02:31 PM
chardonet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MJones:

Thank you for posting. Any pics of the brace and mounting hardware?
Old 11-03-2009, 02:31 PM
Clifton
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 38 Posts

What I don't understand is won't a lightweight Braille battery (as low as 11 lbs 80z) work just as well and save you a boat load of money in the process ($149 vs $1,700)?

Not my photo
Old 11-03-2009, 02:45 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Although the price is high and I would never buy it if it was on Autozone's shelf....I find it ironic to complain about the $1700, when each on of the new owners is going to be shelling out almost ninty times as much money for the car itself.... Obviouly knowingly that there are much less expensive and perhaps comperable alternative to the RS like what Nissan ford or chevrolet sells
Thanks M Jones for the photo looks cool
Old 11-03-2009, 04:27 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Worth it in every way.

Do not compare the Li-ion battery to a standard lead-acid battery like the stock one, or the Braille/Odyssey motorcycle batteries.

I have had quite a count of lightweight batteries, a Odyssey and three Brailles (which is a re-branded Deka).

Li-Ion batteries offer much more capacity, cranking amps and longer life. Very similar technology to cell phones, laptops. About 1/3 the weight for the same performance from a lead-acid battery.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:16 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

The L-Ion battery is a non starter (literally) for me. Fall track days can see early morning temps at 32 deg F.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:28 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Those look like my RC Helicopter batteries
Old 11-03-2009, 05:50 PM
Clifton
Pro

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Worth it in every way.

Do not compare the Li-ion battery to a standard lead-acid battery like the stock one, or the Braille/Odyssey motorcycle batteries.

I have had quite a count of lightweight batteries, a Odyssey and three Brailles (which is a re-branded Deka).

Li-Ion batteries offer much more capacity, cranking amps and longer life. Very similar technology to cell phones, laptops. About 1/3 the weight for the same performance from a lead-acid battery.
Oh I'm not saying the Li-Ion are not a better technology, they certainly are. But I guess there are three crucial factors to consider: weight, life and peformance.

Weight (being the most important) - The Porsche Li-Ion is 13lbs vs the 11.8 Braille - I'd say $150 is cheap for lightweight part on a Porsche.

Life - even if the Li-Ion last 3 times a lead battery, you can buy eleven Braille to one Li-Ion with a Porsche lable on it.

Peformance - If a battery starts a car, then performance is moot, however, as you mention the Li-Ion does have certain advantages.

I'm not trying to split hairs, the Porsche battery is very cool stuff. I just can't see why somone would spend more for something that is heavier, does not really pay for itself over its service life nor does it offer a usable performance gain. I just don't get it....
Old 11-03-2009, 06:05 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Li-Ion batteries require a very stringent charging/monitoring circuit. They are also limited to a finite (a few hundred) charging cycles, and even though they do not have memory they prefer longer charging cycles. I'm not sure it is the best technology for a starter motor.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:02 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

The water cooled cars have a lot of parasite loads (static loads) in the electrical system. These cars need batteries with enough reserve and capacity.

- The stock Moll has a capacity of 70 Ah and a reserve of 115 minutes.
- The common replacement (and lighter) Optima Red 35/75 has a capacity of 44Ah and a reserve of 90 minutes.

We cannot compare a Braille or Odyssey to a Li-Ion battery. In the warm California weather, my 11 lbs Braille needed to be plugged permanently to a trickle charger in the garage. Things got better with the 15 lbs Braille.

At a warm track day I had to unplug the engine cooling fan with the car sitting in the garage, otherwise the Braille would drain out and the car won't start.

A 11 lbs Braille only has 15Ah and 25 minutes of capacity. A 15 lbs Braille has 21Ah and 35 minutes of capacity, still not enough. When I was using my RS with a Braille, I was carrying a jump starter as part of my tools, because more than once the car ran out of juice. My Spec Boxster drained a brand new carbon Braille (15.5 lbs) in 6 days just sitting in the garage.

A 14 lbs Lithium battery (volthpreaks) has a capacity of 48Ah and 100 minutes, better than an Optima Red Top. I already ran an Optima red top in my GT3, and I didn't need to carry a jump starter.

For some, 22 lbs could sound like negligible weight, but consider the location of the stock battery. Also, it is cheaper (per pound) than lighter wheels, a lighter flywheel, PCCB, or carbon body parts.

I'm quite sure that Porsche went through enough testing with this battery before pioneering such technology into mass produced vehicles.

I hope they offer the option in all the Porsche road cars (except Panamera and Cayenne, the anti-thesis of lighter cars).
Old 11-03-2009, 09:31 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,878 Likes on 970 Posts

The water cooled cars have a lot of parasite loads (static loads) in the electrical system. These cars need batteries with enough reserve and capacity.

- The stock Moll has a capacity of 70 Ah and a reserve of 115 minutes.
- The common replacement (and lighter) Optima Red 35/75 has a capacity of 44Ah and a reserve of 90 minutes.

We cannot compare a Braille or Odyssey to a Li-Ion battery. In the warm California weather, my 11 lbs Braille needed to be plugged permanently to a trickle charger in the garage. Things got better with the 15 lbs Braille.

At a warm track day I had to unplug the engine cooling fan with the car sitting in the garage, otherwise the Braille would drain out and the car won't start.

A 11 lbs Braille only has 15Ah and 25 minutes of capacity. A 15 lbs Braille has 21Ah and 35 minutes of capacity, still not enough. When I was using my RS with a Braille, I was carrying a jump starter as part of my tools, because more than once the car ran out of juice. My Spec Boxster drained a brand new carbon Braille (15.5 lbs) in 6 days just sitting in the garage.

A 14 lbs Lithium battery (volthpreaks) has a capacity of 48Ah and 100 minutes, better than an Optima Red Top. I already ran an Optima red top in my GT3, and I didn't need to carry a jump starter.

For some, 22 lbs could sound like negligible weight, but consider the location of the stock battery. Also, it is cheaper (per pound) than lighter wheels, a lighter flywheel, PCCB, or carbon body parts.

I'm quite sure that Porsche went through enough testing with this battery before pioneering such technology into mass produced vehicles.

I hope they offer the option in all the Porsche road cars (except Panamera and Cayenne, the anti-thesis of lighter cars).
Good information. Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:32 PM
Clifton
Pro

A 14 lbs Lithium battery (volthpreaks) has a capacity of 48Ah and 100 minutes, better than an Optima Red Top.
I think a key point that was left out is that a 14lbs Volthpereak battery is $3,000. A $1,700 Porsche battery sounds like a bargin. LOL!

I hear what you are saying about the braille, but they are used in daily drivers every day.

And many modern cars with excessive electronics will drain just about any healthy battery if left sitting for a week. I had to switch airport cars because of this very reason.

Like i said before, $149 vs. $1,700/$3,000 - I just don't get it....
Old 11-04-2009, 12:32 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

We use a Braille battery in one of our race cars and it's like NJ-GT says, needs lots of tending to and is not real dependable. No way I'd run one in a street use car.

Phil

Quick Reply: Optional lithium ion battery