Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Tourist Delivery Program is alive.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 10:59 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh yea, be prepared to have 15K held hostage for several months. You will get it back, but the car must arrive in the states and then you get your money back after several weeks

Don't modify the car while over there. It must come into the US as a US spec car just the way it came off the assembly line. Don't even think of changing those side markers to clear while over there!
Old 11-03-2009, 11:21 PM
dsu*
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

not even side markets? wow, strict huh?

I assume people would get their car modded their since there are a lot of resources there and maybe cheaper? but i guess that's not happening!
Old 11-04-2009, 07:43 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,674 Likes on 776 Posts

The Tourist delivery turns out to be more complicated and expensive than expected.
I was hoping to do some work to the car there, like roll bar and seat belts. I guess not.

I have to fill in the form first and commit than I get the actual delivery date later...

For an RS it is the same.
$4075 for Tourist delivery, it includes 2 weeks of insurance + $600 for 2 weeks extra insurance or $2200.00 for 6 extra weeks.

I am having a hard time swallowing the 15K for 3-4 months.
Maybe I need to sleep on it for a few days..
Old 11-04-2009, 08:32 AM
99D3C2
Instructor

what does the 15k for 3-4 months go towards?
Old 11-04-2009, 08:43 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,674 Likes on 776 Posts

It is a German tax that is refunded once the car has been shipped out of the country as far as I understand.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:59 AM
99D3C2
Instructor

so basically a VAT? that makes sense. i think Germany has a 19% VAT right now. my wife and i were there last month and she got a pretty nice VAT refund at the airport on the way out from the clothes she purchased while on our trip.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:26 AM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I hope you can make this happen for yourself! You will love it, but the whole trip will be costly, trust me!
Old 11-04-2009, 10:50 AM
RSA333
Racer

It's a great program. But as Z356 has detailed so well in earlier posts, it was used to be a way to buy a Porsche directly from Germany, that was less expensive than buying the same model here in the USA. I guess times have changed.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:34 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Do it.

I took ED of an M3 in 2001, and as a car enthusiast it was one of the best experiences I've had. Autobahn, Alpine roads, Nurburgring, and Hungaroring (was working in Budapest at the time) are all memories that I now consider priceless.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:06 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 882 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Check to see if Porsche AG is letting outside insurance companies underwrite for the additional 2 weeks. I had investigated this with my own insurance company (who underwrites in Europe) and their rates were less than half what Porsche charges, and with a substantially less deductible. But PCNA wouldn't let me do it in 06.
Insurance

Porsche allowed me to use USAA when I picked-up my GT3 in 2007 and I kept the car in Europe for 6 months - 5,000 very memorable miles. You just need the green "Versicherungsdoppelkarte" to register the car. USAA knew eactly what to provide for the registration.

BTW - Deposit

The $15k (which is in addition to the purchase price - which you have to pay in full prior to picking-up the car) is principally used as a deposit to make sure you actually export the car to the US. I had no problem getting the $15k back within a week of registration in the US. It took about 6 weeks from the drop-off in Stuttgart to get the car to the US East Coast.

BTW - Mods

I had the standard GT3 rear wing converted to the original factory RS wing and deck-lid while I was in Germany. No problem whatsoever with Porsche and the shipment to the US. You just have to make sure that any mods are TUV certified to be road legal.

Here's the thread:

GT3 Pick-up Thread
Old 11-06-2009, 09:53 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Good for you! In 2006 they wouldn't work with me (the factory). I told them that they needed to work on that. Perhaps you got to benefit from that conversation!

My car took a bit over 2 months to get to me on the west coast. Dropped off on 3 July and arrived my dealership on 7 Sep. Those were the HARDEST two months!!
Old 11-06-2009, 11:24 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My insurance company isn't available to many. USAA. Perhaps they have expanded it to all, I don't know, but it used to be open only to military officers (active or retired). I think they have expanded it so it's worth investigating.
They just announced that they are open to anybody that served in US forces (enlisted).

I hope you agree that all men and women who have honorably served in the U.S. Armed Forces deserve to do business with a financial services company that understands their unique needs, appreciates their service and does the right thing because it is the right thing to do.

Your USAA Board of Directors believes so, and I am very pleased to let you know that USAA membership is now open to anyone who has honorably served in the U.S. military.

Last edited by MJones; 11-06-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:39 PM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Do it.

I took ED of an M3 in 2001, and as a car enthusiast it was one of the best experiences I've had. Autobahn, Alpine roads, Nurburgring, and Hungaroring (was working in Budapest at the time) are all memories that I now consider priceless.
+1 enough said!
Old 11-06-2009, 01:36 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Keep in mind that SOMEDAY, the unlimited speed limits will go away on the autobahns. Germany is presently the ONLY country in the world with some unlimited speed roads. If you delay for very long it will be impossible.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:09 PM
Rocci
Instructor

Keep in mind that SOMEDAY, the unlimited speed limits will go away on the autobahns. Germany is presently the ONLY country in the world with some unlimited speed roads. If you delay for very long it will be impossible.
As much as the unlimited speed limits is part of the German culture, I see it changing. I grew up in Germany when pretty much every stretch of autobahn was unlimited. I travel there 2 or 3 times each year and it seems the autobahn gets more restricted every year. 120 to 130 km/h is pretty common now. With the increase in traffic volume, environmental concerns and fuel consumption, it is only a matter of time before the unlimited speed limits will be a thing you will tell your children or grand kids about. The good old days. There are many other good reasons to do ED, but to experience the thrill of unlimited (legal) speeds do not pass up the opportunity for ED. JUST DO IT! If you don't you may be saying "I wish I had". After all it is just money. You can't take it with you.

Quick Reply: Tourist Delivery Program is alive.