Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3RS and GT3: Chassis differences?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 08:24 AM
YearOne
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3RS and GT3: Chassis differences?

What are the differences in the chassis and suspension of the GT3RS and the GT2? Whilst the GT3 and RS received universal praise for the way they drive the GT2 seems to have much more mixed reviews especially with regards to bumpier roads by virtue of being harder suspended.

So, what would it take to make a GT2 into a 520bhp GT3RS?

Why wouldn't you want it like that and why did Porsche change it over the RS?
Old 10-28-2009, 09:13 AM
SpeedGeek
Pro

I'm guessing here, but I suspect the extra weight and extra torque / hp of the GT2 requires more hardcore suspension to keep everything under control. The GT2's chassis experiences higher forces than the GT3.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:06 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

- are you speaking about the current gt2 and the 997mk1 gt3RS or the 2010 mk2 RS?

- if mk1, then the differences are well documented (search is your friend), but the gt2 has revalved and changed electronics in the dampeners as well as a slightly larger rear sway bar (25mm vs 23.9mm iirc) - cant remember if it also has very slightly higher spring rates like the new 2010gt3

- the gt2 also comes standard with a 325 rear tire versus a 305

- experienced drivers that i personally know that have driven both on the track do not share the opinion that you expressed (i.e. out of the box they felt that the gt2 was very slightly better from a suspension point of view)

- that said, these are totally different cars
- driving any boosted car at the limit versus a NA gt3 can present all kinds of unique challenges (i.e. if you are already at the limit of rear traction (especially under side load) and the boost hits, you will transfer even more load to the rear (which affects the suspension), etc, etc

- if you want to make it drive like a gt3/rs - remove the turbos

- if you want faster lap times, keep the gt2, soften the rear sway to fully soft, stiffen the front bar a notch, get rid of the OE rubber and run more front tire, retrofit the new 2010gt3 rear brake ducts, invest in rear brake pads and run with SC on

- my personal opinion, after owning many turbo cars is that they make great street cars
- i also believe that there are very few qualified people on the planet to drive a gt2 anywhere near the limit (just too fast and potential deadly)

- this is my opinion only, but I think porsche should consider re-positioning marketing wise the gt2 as a track focused 4wdr car with all the suspension bits of the RS + lightened + better track RS Aero - with a track focused 4wdr setup that the average but skilled DE driver would be confident in driving "near" the limit + make it PDK only (i.e. so you can shift under load without upsetting the suspension and better keep the car in boost)

- the reason I think they have to do this is they already have a gt3 with a harder core RS (much more than last time) - both 2wdr - so they may as well make the gt2 more of a variant of the Turbo platform (ie 4wdr, PDK, etc) but more track focused (lighter, noisier, less rubber in suspension, more flexible track suspension settings, etc)

- if they don't, i think the gt2 is a dead end for porsche
- if they do, not only do I think it can revive sales, i actually think it can be a success (not big but people will buy it)

- as an aside, I would wager a bet that the only people on the planet that can drive the 997gt2 around any race track faster than the new 2010 turbo with PDK are current and ex F1 drivers
Old 10-28-2009, 10:27 AM
YearOne
Racer

Originally Posted by 997gt3north
- i also believe that there are very few qualified people on the planet to drive a gt2 anywhere near the limit (just too fast and potential deadly)
On the track? Thats quite a claim, its not that hard to drive near the limit for anyone who has track/race experience in fast cars.

Ok so on track the GT2 seems to do well but on the road (certainly here in the UK where its bumpy and cambered) the GT2 struggles and is intimidating where the GT3RS is just plain fun. I am not that interested in lap times as that is not about driver enjoyment and I am much more interested in feel and communication which the GT3/RS has in spades. I have not driven a GT2 yet but might consider buying one next year.

I can understand why the GT2 has stiffer suspension due to extra torque etc but I do wonder how a well set up RS would feel if you straight swapped in a GT2 engine. I can't see how it would be a problem for the car and it would handle the added power well and still be very drivable. Essentially I want the poise and fun of the RS with the wallop of the GT2 and getting a GT2 to give that, on the road and track like the Nordschleife, would be key to me.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:07 PM
Red9
Racer

The suspension differences are easier to follow--What about the basis of the models--ie The Shell?
EG -- the 996GT2,GT3,Turbo,C4S, GT3Cup,GT3R/RS/RSR-- all shared the same basic shell structure( with different rear1/4 panels) ------ How do the 997 compare?
How were the suspension pick-up points altered ?
Old 11-19-2009, 05:26 AM
Red9
Racer

Anyone??
Old 11-19-2009, 07:29 AM
Turbo4ever
Racer

i guess they are the same, just one is wider than the other.

but with different setting
Old 11-19-2009, 09:18 AM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

The GT2 suspension although stiffer to deal with the extra weight transfer for the harder acceleration is more compliant than the MKI GT3 and RS. The shock valving is better and very usable comfortable as a daily driver. I use mine as a DD all year round with snow tires through the Winter.

The fact that in can surprise you on bumpy roads is jut due to the fact of the tons of power and torque. You just can keep your foot in all the way and expect nothing to happen when you go over a camber crest or some rippled road. You can get away with that in a car with lesser power and torque like the GT3(RS). That's why some manufacturers choose to make their 500hp+ supercars safe(r) by going AWD, which is VERY boring IMO.

Quick Reply: GT3RS and GT3: Chassis differences?