Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Panamera First Drive

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 02:01 PM
diethelm
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sir Mix a Lot once aptly stated "I like big butts"

Now some would disagree with his line, as big butts could be a failure in design, but for me it is easy to see, everyone has an opinion and thats just fine.

Being old, I remember people complaining about the 914, 928, 924, 944, Cayenne, Cayman and every new porsche model other than 911 variants. If it was not for all these others, their would be no new 911 variants as a manufacturer can not survive on such low volumes. So in the end, like other models, it is a design that one can either love or hate, but each is entitled to a view no more correct than another's.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:19 PM
bob_dallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
I also find it amusing that so many are smitten by these two facts, 1) that it has good/great performance and 2) it wears the Porsche logo. Then completely disregard it's awful looks with statements like, "I drove it today and after seeing it in person it's not so bad."

If you like it, that's perfectly fine. We all have different tastes. But to state that it, "doesn't photograph well" or "isn't so bad" is just simply coming up with excuses for it.
I think you hit on it here. Everyone has different decision criteria and weight them differently. To each his own.

I personally won't be buying one for now but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that is irrelevant to pretty much everyone... Who's to say that when they depreciate over 50% in a few years that it won't grow on me but I certainly have no plans right now and I'm not even in the market for something like this.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:24 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Looks matter. That's why rich, middle-age guys get divorced and remarry younger women. Unfortunately as many know this is not always a wise strategy because....well...looks matter (to her too).
In another thread, you were hoping to move up a slot because so many of us do not like the looks of the new RS.

Do looks matter more for a mass transit vehicle than for a sports car?
Old 10-27-2009, 02:26 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedGeek
Wanna swap? We'll take Obama, you guys take Jacob Zuma for a few years. Let us know how that turns out.
Both losers... we just have further to drop at this point.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:54 AM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
I had this really long reply...it's just not worth it.

BTW what car does it for me is irrelevant, that's not what we're discussing.

I'll clarify it for you and I have not shifted on my point at all, I attack the Panamierda because IT IS a failure in design!

I also find it amusing that so many are smitten by these two facts, 1) that it has good/great performance and 2) it wears the Porsche logo. Then completely disregard it's awful looks with statements like, "I drove it today and after seeing it in person it's not so bad."

If you like it, that's perfectly fine. We all have different tastes. But to state that it, "doesn't photograph well" or "isn't so bad" is just simply coming up with excuses for it.

IF it sells well, then it's another win for the marketing/they'll-buy-anything-that-has-the-Porsche-name-on-it department.

This is way too much time spent in front of the computer and away from driving.
+1

Quick Reply: Panamera First Drive