Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Panamera First Drive

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 01:14 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,237 Likes on 607 Posts

I hated the thing. Uglier than the Cayenne in 2003. Drove a 4s on Thursday. I want on now. The interior and handling are so good as to forgive the ugly exterior. Just drive one and you will be shocked.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:21 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
was at my dealer and he had one of each.

i LOVE the thing. unfortunately the Turbo is in that strange blue, a "release" color and optioned car. it was not an impressive color.

i'm trying to hold out for a year or two but it will be tough... a garage with a GT3 and a Pano T would be the t!ts.
ditto!!!!!!
Old 10-19-2009, 10:59 AM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

I think it is a great car, and for sure the sets the benchmark (performance wise) in the class, but it is a shame it is not truly practical. Two rear seats only and a small boot make my GT2 (with rear seats) almost as practical for us kid haulers (I have 3 kids, so even with a Panam in the garage, will still have to drive the SUV for family trips... bummer...)
Old 10-19-2009, 11:24 AM
Alfie
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

I wound up with 2 Turbos at launch. The yachting blue car, and a Basalt/black with 20" RS wheels and PCCB... The Black was a big hit at our launch party. The Blue is a very nice looking car, but I think the cream lower dash/interior would be completely impossible to live with.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:33 PM
mikey175
Racer

Originally Posted by deutschmick
I'll be checking out at the dealer tomorrow when I take the GT3 in (mainly to get my small RMS leak documented while still under warranty).

Hopefully will take a test drive.
The good news...it will be making a helluva loaner car at a dealer near you very soon.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:47 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/dri...fset=12&page=2 - jeremy says it best.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:07 AM
deutschmick
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 84 Posts

I drove an S today.

Much nicer looking than I expected from the pics. A much nicer car than I expected too.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:39 AM
jimxyz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd have to agree - we checked them out at Pebble in August, various colors and all the models. Comfy for four big adults - didn't want to like it, but it is not a bad ride. Although for the money, I'd get an S class, if I'm hauling four big adults, I may as well have room for golf clubs etc.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:00 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Funny how many say, "it's nicer looking than expected!" Well WTF, what kind of back-handed compliment is that? Of course it's better than expected...the design is atrocious!

Not one person has said, "I saw it today in person, and it's just beautiful, it's awesome looking, this car does it for me in every way." You know why, because it doesn't!

This car is a failure in design. I too have seen it in person but I just see it for what it is, regardless of the nice shiny logo on the hood. Hopefully VW will cancel this and the Cayenne and get Porsche back to building cars that the good Doctor would be proud of.

If it were my $ I'd be buying something else.

Just my $.10.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:38 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
Funny how many say, "it's nicer looking than expected!" Well WTF, what kind of back-handed compliment is that? Of course it's better than expected...the design is atrocious!

Not one person has said, "I saw it today in person, and it's just beautiful, it's awesome looking, this car does it for me in every way." You know why, because it doesn't!

This car is a failure in design. I too have seen it in person but I just see it for what it is, regardless of the nice shiny logo on the hood. Hopefully VW will cancel this and the Cayenne and get Porsche back to building cars that the good Doctor would be proud of.

If it were my $ I'd be buying something else.

Just my $.10.

well i would not call the an "S" class or 7-series beautiful, awesome looking or say it does it for me in every way. would you?

why are you holding this car's aesthetics in such high significance? for me, i care about how a car is from only one perspective, the driver's seat. i don't think the 911 is a perfect looker either...
Old 10-20-2009, 01:31 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
well i would not call the an "S" class or 7-series beautiful, awesome looking or say it does it for me in every way. would you?

why are you holding this car's aesthetics in such high significance? for me, i care about how a car is from only one perspective, the driver's seat. i don't think the 911 is a perfect looker either...
+1

If I am buying a big sedan, it isn't for its looks. It's because I need to transport more than 2 full-size people. While some sedans look better than others, none are 'special'.

I'd be focusing on how practical is it for what I need it to do (interior room for 3+ people), what it drives like and what it costs (because no luxury sedan retains its value).
Old 10-21-2009, 04:02 PM
dr90254
Instructor

If you're interested in transporting 4 full size adults, and you want a sedan that has good drivability and nice aesthetics from the outside, why not consider the Maserati quadraporte? IMO that is a car that has all three....and its in the same range as the Panamera (approx 130s).
[disclaimer: I will be test driving the Panamera tomorrow]
Old 10-21-2009, 04:52 PM
ze_shark
Instructor

Very much the same kind of car.
Great in some ways (the exterior and the handling for the Quattroporte), underwhelming in others (the engine in the QP, although I have not driven a 4.7 yet). I'd still place higher bets on Panamera residuals, a QP must be pretty ugly to trade in.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:04 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 204 Posts

They need to slope down that humpback rear panamera- looks way ugly. Who cares who sits in the back. Mike
Old 10-25-2009, 04:25 AM
Salespunk
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts

[QUOTE=MJSpeed;7001404]Hopefully VW will cancel this and the Cayenne and get Porsche back to building cars that the good Doctor would be proud of.

QUOTE]

I read an article recently where VW publicly stated that the Panamera would be cancelled in the future and was a mistake for the brand. They want to get back to the roots of Porsche, meaning sports cars only.

Quick Reply: Panamera First Drive