Dynamic Engine Mounts retrofit cost

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 12:10 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DJN
Hi Gents,

Is there any more recent info on the dynamic engine mount (PADM) retro-fit? Can some one in Florida inquire at Suncoast for us? In another post Sharkwerks said they may be looking into it too, Gents?

After over 5000km and 4 or 5 track days I believe these mounts will certainly improve things in two noticable ways (soft side and hard side):

1) They should insulate from the natural and very noticable engine vibration at 2800 to 3200 rpm.

and 2) They should keep the driveline tighter under heavy aceleration where one can definately feel thing move, especially that quick shift from 2nd to 3rd gear.

Cheers!
Doug N.

Suncoast recently posted on 6speed that they were looking for a donor car and thought the mounts could be done. Just passing on info. Time will tell.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:19 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"credibility worthy of the bible".... (from Pogue's post #13)

now that can open a debate...

Last edited by Bill_C4S; 11-27-2009 at 12:53 PM. Reason: for greater clarity as to what I was referencing...
Old 11-27-2009, 12:33 PM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
"credibility worthy of the bible"....

now that can open a debate...

???
Old 11-28-2009, 12:53 PM
Racerron
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ask Bob R. about his Gen 1 PCCB experiences I know poor driving was not part of his equation.

Originally Posted by PogueMoHone
I had two sets of Gen I pccbs on different cars and never a problem. I know guys who had incessant problems (poor driving?) and some who had problems (plain ole wear?) after significant track miles.

IMO, Gen I got a bad wrap and some wanted Porsche to pay for their track abuse. Gen I in warrantable use were bullet proof.

No offense taken, but sometimes ancedotes gain a credibility worthy of the bible.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:09 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^
Discussed frequently with him, and my comments stand "warrantable use". You chose to use "poor driving" but left out "plain ole wear".

It is not about one particular or specific driver; my comments are about (my) general experiences and observations. However, I won't speak for others, but in my case I will always order ceramics (and I have seen and heard about many of the supposed problems over a 7 year period)..that is putting my money where my mouth is!
Old 12-14-2009, 02:48 PM
tjsmaryland
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Suncoast in Florida just quoted me $2500 to install the dynamic engine mounts in my GT3. They have a pair of the mounts in stock, and say they have already retrofitted a 997-2 GT3 with dynamic mounts.

I am going to check with P-dealers in Maryland / Virginia before committing to a 14 hour drive to Florida for this install.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:00 PM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by tjsmaryland
Suncoast in Florida just quoted me $2500 to install the dynamic engine mounts in my GT3. They have a pair of the mounts in stock, and say they have already retrofitted a 997-2 GT3 with dynamic mounts.

I am going to check with P-dealers in Maryland / Virginia before committing to a 14 hour drive to Florida for this install.
Very, very cool!
Old 12-14-2009, 04:28 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Can they be retrofitted to the turbo as well?
Old 12-14-2009, 06:00 PM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by TT Gasman
Can they be retrofitted to the turbo as well?
I've been told that they can not for a .1 turbo.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:16 AM
GT
Instructor

I am also very interested in this for the turbo 1. Trying to find info on what is the signal that activates them. Would like to be able to just switch them on and off (from PASM button if possible), not the auto function.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:48 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 989 Likes on 368 Posts

Necro bump.

Can these be retrofitted on any .2 car or just after a certain build date?
Old 06-09-2011, 11:48 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In order to make any attempt to retrofit PDEM, you will need to rewire the chassis harness. Non-PDEM cars don't even have the wiring to support and Porsche has not released the wiring harness in the parts catalog. Second, the non PDEM ECU does not have the capability to support PDEM functionality. There is no programming in it to support PDEM. If you unplug a mount on a PDEM car, you get a warning light. Your Porsche tech can clear the code, but they can't disable it from tripping as the functionality is hard coded in the the ECU. On a non-PDEM car, the code for this functionality simply isn't present. At best case if Porsche does offer a retrofit, it will be an ECU re-program. Worst case it will be a new ECU. The ECU programming is also unique in that PDEM works PASM and PSM programming. For example: if you go over a sudden bump, as the sensor at the shock detects the motion change; PDEM will soften the mounts to help reduce impact throught he chassis. Just buying the mounts gives you nothing unless you have the ability for computer control and power to run them. When you can get Porsche part numbers for the harness and a flash or ECU, you will be able to retrofit.

Contrary to comments here, there are no additional sensors for PDEM. The computer looks at the same sensors (accelerometers, gyros and wheel sensors) as it does for suspension and stability management. The mounts operate actively in that they don't just go from soft to stiff, they have a range of adjustment which the computer operates based on sensor inputs. Just bolting the mounts in won't make them work.

From going from a car without PDEM to one with there, there are some very noticeable differences. The only noticeable differences on the street are you will notice more engine vibration through the chassis in Sport Mode and when going over sudden bumps. When going over sudden bumps, the impact is softened more with PDEM. On the track there are substantial differences. The most noticeable is when shifting over bumps or in corners, 2 things that traditionally unsettle a car, it is completely stable. It is almost eerie how settled it is. When you shift in a corner, the shifter moved with its normal ease and just goes into gear. With trying to shift into a corner without them, I previous had minor shifting issues where the shifter would feel like it is binding, especially shifting from 2nd to 3rd. I always have to make corrections for the shifting that resulted with the weight transfer changes. Not so with PDEM. The other one that is noticeable is when applying heavy throttle mid corner. When unclocking the steering to where it is almost straight, the back end is more settled. It was not an obvious thing with my previous car that the drivetrain weight was still shifting slightly after the wheel just went straight. After driving with PDEM it was obvious that the car tracks better at track out as you can just tell it is more settled. The greater amount of throttle coming off a corner, the more you will notice how it helps settle the car.

Last edited by 10 GT3; 06-10-2011 at 12:07 AM.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:21 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Or you guys could just put in the Wevo mounts like I did and achieve the same results for probably 10% of the retrofit price

I haven't noticed any difference on the street, but I have noticed that the transmission doesn't bind in hard tight corners when doing a 2-3 shift. Prior to the wevo mounts it would bind up about 40% of the time when taking turn 7 at sebring. Money well spent. Low technology fixes aren't necessarily a bad thing and my mounts probably won't break
Old 06-10-2011, 01:32 AM
Clifton
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
In order to make any attempt to retrofit PDEM, you will need to rewire the chassis harness. Non-PDEM cars don't even have the wiring to support and Porsche has not released the wiring harness in the parts catalog.
Not sure I would agree with you there...some 997.2 engine bays have two unused and capped dongle plugs suspended just above the left and right engine mounts. Both are "wired" and lead to junction where they join other wires feeding into a main loom. I don't doubt the car's brain will need to be told to look for the e-mounts once connected, but I don't think we can rule out the retrofit unless someone has tried and failed.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:04 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Wevo for the win

Quick Reply: Dynamic Engine Mounts retrofit cost